thumbnails not showing the correct image

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thumbnails not showing the correct image

I am having issues where some thumbnails are showing the incorrect image, so if I double click to bring the image up large its a different image

Hi a couple of issues relating to thumbnails.

Thumbnails (manage mode) - Initially generated (.cr2) thumbnails fine, but then after adding photos to dir and then renaming (not in ACDSee), the thumbnails and names didn’t match. Double-clicking on a thumbnail (to open full screen) showed the photo matching the name not the (incorrectly) displayed thumbnail image. I tried re-scanning the folder (cmd-r), but no change. Sort option was still in default “sort by name”. 32 (.jpg) images and 1 sub-dir. The renamed photos would be mixed in sequence. Folder had been read before images were renamed (in different order).

After above thumbnail image, changed to different folder, swapped to full screen, viewed/deleted several .CR2 images, then back to manage mode and noticed “Properties” panel was blank (was in EXIF, but swapping to IPICT and others shows no info, then on switching sometimes shows some sub-sections correctly with blank gaps in other sections. Fine after exiting (red-cross) and restarting. Images on internal drive, although also had SD card mounted (but not viewed)

Keep up the good work. Cheers
    Baz

System info:
    ACDSee Photo Studio for Mac Beta v4.0.262)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris 1536 MB
    OS-X El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G1217)
    Images all stored on internal SSD

Comment

Hi CornishBoy and Baz:

Thank you for your feedback.

Baz:
      - What are you using to rename your images; Finder or another application?
      - When you say "thumbnails and names didn't match," are the thumbnails mixed between images or do they just have the ACDSee placeholder icon?

CornishBoy:
      - What operations were you doing prior to the thumbnails showing the incorrect image?

Cheers,

Colby

Comment

Hi Colby
        I'll try to replicate the issue soon, but in more detail, I believe I'd looked at the dir with some .jpg/.cr2 files in it, then quit ACDSee (I think), then added more photos, then I'd renamed the files via the terminal command line (from IMG_XXXX.JPG to YYYY-MM-DD hh-mm-ss subject.cr2/.jpg). Then on re-starting ACDsee and navigating to the directory (with folder pane), there were thumbnails for all photos (as far as I'd noticed) and the new names showed but thumbnail image didn't match the photo that was shown by double clicking it. I'm afraid I've no idea if the name was correct for the thumbnail or image though.

Baz

Comment

Colby, just tried quick test with some .jpg files and actually seems to work ok (details below as still thumbnail blanks issue). FYI sort order all left as default 'by name' and using manage mode with thumbnail view.

1) Copied 4 .jpg (IMG_XXXX.jpg) to folder from SD card with Finder
          2) opened PhotoStudio, navigated with folder panel, thumbnails loaded fine, closed PS
          3) copied 5 more .jpg (next in number IMG_XXXX.jpg number sequence) and renamed to YYYY-MM... (so order preserved but all renamed)
          4) opened PS, navigate with folder panel, thumbnails of new images generate fine, but original 4 just shown as placeholder icons (with name and ACDSee logo). Didn't refresh after several minutes.
          5) double clicked on image with valid thumbnail, image matched. Exited, other thumbnails still blank. opened good thumbnail again (full screen) & used keys to navigate forward/back including the 'blank' images, which showed ok, but on returning to manage view (using <esc>), thumbnails still 4 blank and 5 correct.
          6) double clicked on 1st image with blank thumbnail. Image loaded fine (1st in sequence). on exit, still no thumbnail. Tried again and used keys to step through all 9. Still no thumbnail on exit.
          7) Then tried <cmd-r>, and missing thumbnails regenerated.

I then closed PS, used Finder to delete the folder, reopened PS, navigated to folder (folder view), to check empty, then did optimise database (to hopefully clear cache) and closed PS, I then created new folder with Finder for 2nd test. I then repeated the test, but copying photos in different sequence order:

1) copied 5 .jpg (last 5 in the sequence) to folder from SD card with Finder
          2) opened PhotoStudio, navigated with folder panel, thumbnails loaded fine, (double clicked and stepped through photos full screen), then closed PS
          3) copied 4 more .jpg (earlier in number IMG_XXXX.jpg number sequence) and renamed to YYYY-MM... (so order potentially changed but all renamed based on image time still)
          4) opened PS, navigate with folder panel, thumbnails of new images generate fine (shown as 1st 4 in main pane, with correct new names), but original 5 just shown as placeholder icons (with correct new name and ACDSee logo). Didn't refresh after several minutes.
          5) double clicked on image with valid thumbnail, image matched. Exited, other thumbnails still blank. opened good thumbnail again (full screen) & used keys to navigate forward/back including the 'blank' images, which showed ok, but on returning to manage view (using <esc>), thumbnails still 4 blank and 5 correct.
          6) double clicked on 5th image (1st with blank thumbnail). Image loaded correctly (5th in sequence). on exit, still no thumbnail. Tried again and used keys to step through all 9. Still no thumbnail on exit.
          7) Then tried navigating with folder bar to another dir then back to test folder, and missing thumbnails regenerated.

So seems to have done correct images this time (.jpg's), just not auto-updating thumbnails.
          Will test with .cr2 (I think originally a mix of .jpg/.cr2)
          Baz

Comment

Colby, ok, just got same miss-match issue again...with .jpg and very confused!
            I took 5 photos, holding up 1-5 fingers, in sequence to make it easier to identify...

1) Copied 3,4,5 of sequence (named IMG_XXXX.jpg) with Finder
            2) Opened PS, navigated to folder with main pane (not folder pane), thumbnails generated ok, but kept PS open but minimised (and still viewing that dir).
            3) Copied images 1,2 to folder with Finder and renamed in Terminal to creation dates YYYY-MM... i.e. sequence order)
            4) Switched to PS, the extra images appeared and new names, but images now not matching thumbnails!!
            (side note in 1 other test of more photos, 2 of the new remained 'blank/acdsee' place holder thumbnails.)
            Thumbnail order appearance 2,1,5,3,4
            5) Image thumbnails filenames appear in expected order (1,2,3,4,5) and match the actual image opened, but not thumbnail (2,1,5,3,4)
            6) Doing <cmd-r> changes nothing
            7) Navigating to another folder (by clicking on 'up' arrow then clicking on folder in main pane) shows thumbnails still in wrong order (2,1,5,3,4)
            8) Selected 'view' by 'list'... now only shows 4 items! and in reverse order (item 5 missing), but <cmd-r> causes 5th item to appear (still in reverse order, but possibly just due to 'sort' option which just tested and re-orders ok, forward and reverse)
            9) Switched back to thumbnail and view order filenames was random, so selected sort by name, sort ascending shows thumbnails back as (2,1,5,3,4) but filenames as expected
            10) Also, just noticed the EXIF info matches the data from the thumbnail image, not the actual image

Just tried again using the folder pane to navigate and got the same result, except initial view of dir shows thumbnail images in correct order, and clicking on thumb1 shows image 1, but then using arrows to move to next it showed 5, exiting showed thumbnails and names in order (1,5,4,3,2) so resorted but still get (2,3,4,5,1), so possibly related to other sort issues mentioned elsewhere?

Hopefully that'll let you replicate the issue though? (suggest using something simple like images of numbers so you can clearly see which images match which thumbnail!)

Barry

Comment

Working...
            X