Embedding or changing IPTC Metadata due to lock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embedding or changing IPTC Metadata due to lock

I saw in another problem report where this was a know bug, but made a discovery I wanted to pass along. I was doing bulk IPTC updates on JPG files and within a single directory, some files would update and others would never change and it would not give any sort of error. I understand this is a know problem ... but I may have stumbled on something that will help troubleshoot it and actually works as a temporary work around.
    I discovered when I tried to perform "Move to Trash" on all the files in a file that some would not delete and an error would pop up for each file that did not delete that the file was locked. The ACDSee error that showed the file was locked would provide a button to unlock the file. What I found is that if I clicked on the button, the file would unlock but would not delete. If I then selected the files that didn't delete and again selected "Move to Trash" they would then go to the trash. What is weird is that I I have the manage view set up to show "Lock" icons on the photos, but none of the files showed they were locked.
    With that in mind, I then thought perhaps the files that I was unable to change the IPTC Metadata was perhaps locked but was not showing as locked so I went to one of those files and checked the file properties in ACDSee and confirmed the file was not locked. I then went to Finder and looked at the File Info for the file and also showed the file was not locked. Just as an experiment, I made a copy of the file and then tried to delete the file from within ACDSee and was prompted that the file was locked and was again provided the button to unlock the file. I clicked the button to unlock the file and again the file did not delete ... but at that point I was able to change the IPTC Metadata. This confirmed that ACDSee "thinks" the file is locked when it isn't and won't allow deletes or metadata changes.
    To play with this a little more, I thought I would try to toggle the file lock using the file properties within ACDSee. What happened is the "Lock" icon appeared on the file, but when I then toggled the lock off on the file properties, the file properties would show the file was unlocked, but the "Lock" icon remained ... so I went to Finder and toggled the lock and the "Lock" icon continued to be displayed on the thumbnail regardless of the actual state of the lock. So to summarize, the ACDSee seems to think the file is locked when it is not and there is nothing that can be done to change that except to attempt to delete the file just to unlock it. Once that is done, the file then properly responds to changes of the lock status and property changes.
    Hope this helps isolate the issue.

Hi Jeff:

Thank you for your feedback. You mentioned this issue only occurred on a select amount of JPG images; did you notice anything difference between the JPGs that were "locked" and those that weren't or do you think it's random? Had you done any previous operations to the JPGs before deleting them? Does this issue persist when deleting a small amount of JPGs (lets say 2)?

Cheers,

Colby

Comment

Apparently I'm not getting an email when there is a reply to my post. To answer you question, there is not visible difference between the files, but it appears there has to be a hidden difference. It is not random because if there is a file that is not allowing the properties to change, it stays with that file. With the trick I found, it was by accident where I really wanted to delete a file and got the prompt about the file being locked but if you told it to proceed it would clear whatever was causing the file to be locked ... but would not actually delete the file ... so for a file where I wanted to change the properties, I was only telling it to delete for the purpose of unlocking the file knowing it would not.
      I just updated to 4.0.289 and this problem seems to be less prevalent ... but still there. I did several more bulk changes to IPTC properties and most would update with no issue, but there were times an image would not update no matter what I did. It would appear to update ... but as soon as I selected a different image and then returned I would find the properties had not updated. Again, I stumbled on a solution. I thought if I duplicated the picture and deleted the original, it would allow me to update the properties, but when I did that I was surprised to find the properties for the duplicate would be what I was trying to change them too. I was able to repeat this on several photos ... basically if I were not able to change the IPTC properties, if I went back to Finder and first duplicated the file and then moved the original to the trash can then renamed the new copy to the same as the original, when I would go back to ACDSee and select the photo it would show me the properties I was trying to change. Since this is happening consistently ... let me walk through each step of the process.
      Example: Let's me spell this out with a specific example.
      1. Enter Update Image City, Province/State and Country with Dyersville, Iowa, USA.
      2. Click on Apply and it appears to update, but then if I deselect the photo and then reselect it, I find it didn't update. This is where the issue first appears in that the IPTC properties did not update.
      3. Go to Finder and select the photo, right click and select Duplicate. I then have PhotoName.jpg and PhotoName Copy.jpg.
      4. Select PhotoName.jpg and then right click and select Move to Trash.
      5. Rename PhotoName Copy.jpg to PhotoName.jpg.
      6. Go back to ACDSee and select PhotoName.jpg and when you look at the Properties window the Image City, Province/State and Country properties will now say Dyersville, Iowa, USA.
      What I actually found is that if I went back to ACDSee after step 3, the properties for the copy was already the proper City, Province/State and Country.

Comment

Hi Jeff:

Thank you for the detailed reply. What you're describing sounds like a GUI update issue. Essentially ACDSee is writing the IPTC metadata correctly, but isn't refreshing the IPTC metadata GUI of certain images. If you did those steps, but instead of duplicating the image, you closed the app, do you find the IPTC metadata shows up? I'll do more research into this area to see if I can reproduce it.

Cheers,

Colby

Comment

I have intentionally stopped when I run into the issue so that I can continue to provide input. I selected the five next pictures and then updated the location like I did above. The location updated on two of the five. I then closed the app and reopened and the IPTC data was still not correct. I then performed steps 3 through 6 above with the same result. It's like either the old value or new value is in some sort of cache and doesn't update the file for some reason ... but seems to pick up the new values if the file is duplicated. Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
          X