Memory usage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory usage

I have late model iMac with 32GB memory with V 4.0289. Using the Activity Monitor, it shows the ACD app uses up 20GB or two thirds of the entire Mac memory. No other Mac app does that. Not even close.There's something wrong going on with memory usage and allocation.
    Also - making a minor change on a simple B/W file sends the app into limbo for up to 15 minutes with the wheel spinning and the force quit window shows the app going off and on.

Let me clarify that. The memory usage is stable when the app is just open. It's when applying minor changes to a file when the app begins to not respond and the memory climbs through the roof. Nothing else on the planet acts like that.

Comment

Hi LeChiffre,

Thank you for your feedback. May I ask three questions:

1) Can you consistently reproduce this behaviour every time you make the same change to the same file? Or is the issue not consistent, but something that eventually happens after making various changes to various files?
      2) Are there specific changes that consistently cause the behaviour you describe? Conversely, are there specific changes that consistently don't cause this problem?
      3) Is there a specific file that consistently causes the behaviour you describe? If so, is it on a local drive, removable drive, or network location? Is it a RAW, or some other file format? How many megabytes is it and what are the dimensions (width and height)? Conversely, do you have any file that consistently does not cause this problem?

Regards,
      David

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
        I can reproduce this with any file. I have 20K files in the folder. Late model iMac with 32Gb memory running latest Sierra. Just about any change triggers this, but i haven't tried all the develop items. Right now I'm working with the Light EQ. Every file I change triggers the problem and locks up the app and I have to force quit. Folder with files is on the main HD. Files are JPG. With 20K files the folder I can't answer which files do not have the problem, it would take months. File sizes vary from 2-5 MB.
        The app also quits on it's own at times during these processes. Attached is the error message sent to Apple

Last edited by LeChiffre; 03-25-2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Error message sent to Apple

Text.pdf

Comment

Hi LeChiffre,

Thank you very much for getting back to me with this information. I spent time investigating this issue and was able to confirm your findings.

I found that the application becomes non-responsive in the case where I develop an image in a folder that contains many images and then either select a different image in Develop mode, or go to View mode. I could not reproduce the issue in the case where, after developing, I go directly to Manage mode. And I couldn't reproduce the issue if the folder was small.

This issue has been logged in our internal bug tracking system.

Could you please try the case where you develop the image and then go to Manage mode and see if the app becomes non-responsive in this case? It's definitely not a solution for this problem but it could be a temporary workaround.

Thank you again for your assistance!!

Regards,
            David

Comment

Thanks for the response. First of all I can't do what you ask because after I make a change in Develop, then press 'done' the app instantly becomes non responsive. Do you want me to skip the 'done' part and try to go directly to 'manage'? Not sure it makes sense to me but....here goes.

Yes,you're right; going directly to manage mode after making a change does the trick. It's when you click on 'Done' before going to 'manage' mode that the app becomes non-responsive. DO NOT CLICK ON 'DONE' Too weird and needs fixing.
              Anyway glad someone listened to me and worked with a large number of images on a folder. ALL developers should be working with a large number of images. There are phantom issues there probably with memory that no one has uncovered going back to Version 1 what...eight years ago?

Thanks
              Last edited by LeChiffre; 03-29-2017, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Hi LeChiffre,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry my request wasn't clear, but I'm glad you were able to confirm the workaround, which is to click on the Manage mode button rather than click the Done button when you are finished making adjustments in Develop mode. I agree that this is not acceptable and the issue must be fixed. This issue has been logged in our internal bug tracking system and is scheduled to be fixed before the full release of version 4, hopefully sooner.

Thank you again for all your help.

Best regards,
                David

Comment

Working...
                X