Batch Edit not working properly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batch Edit not working properly

Try this: Choose a JPG approx 4000 x 3000 pixels, choose Batch > Resize > 1200 H x 800 V and click Run. The photo is reduced to 1200 x 800, but the file size actually gets larger. It goes from 1.2 MB to 1.3 MB. What I need to do is reduce the pixel dimensions and decrease the JPG quality to end up with relatively small file sizes for insertion into reports. This keeps my reports from becoming massively huge files.

UPDATE: If I do a Batch resize, then do the Batch Change Format command, I am given the option to decrease the JPG quality. However, after I Run the Change Format command, the JPG quality doesn't get decreased. I found that the only way I can reduce the JPG quality to get a smaller file size (using this latest Beta) is to choose File > Save As > then select a decreased JPG quality. When I do that, the file mentioned above goes from 1.3 MB to about 100 KB. In earlier versions, I could set up a Custom Batch command which would let me do a Resize and Change Format (to reduce the JPG quality) all in one click.
    Last edited by sunjamr; 04-24-2017, 05:52 PM.

Hi sunjamr,

Thank you for your feedback. I've tried resizing JPGs to smaller dimensions, but I find the filesize decreases as expected. Does this happen every time you resize, or only with certain images? Is there anything unique about how your JPGs were created?

Thanks,
    David

Comment

All of my photos are taken on an iPhone 7, and it happens on all of them. My laptop is a MacBook Pro, about 3 years old. Maybe a simple solution would be to add the option of Save As to the Batch command list, which might trigger the ability to choose a higher JPG compression. I know Save As is intended for saving one file at a time, but maybe you could have the option of saving the original filename plus some sequential extension. Or better yet, just add "JPG Quality" to the Batch list. The problem with going to File > Save As to increase the JPG compression, like I discussed in my original post, is that if I have 20 photos to go into a report, I have to deal with each one individually.

Comment

Hi David and Sunjamr,
        I found sunjamrs issue intriguing. So I did the following tests using different image formats. In all cases I used the "Batch>Resize-by Size in Pixels":
        1. A 1.8 MB JPEG got properly reduced to a 608 KB JPEG
        2. A 68.9 MB TIFF got properly reduced to a 1.6 MB TIFF. This one really surprised me, as I did not think the BETA 4 could deal with TIFF files in all cases
        3. A 62.0 MB PSD got properly reduced to a 1.4 MB PSD.
        4. ACDSee BETA could not handle a PEF image (PEF is the Pentax RAW format). It gave me an error message.
        While testing these options I noticed one item I would like to see changed:
        • When using the Batch>Resize feature using the "by Size in Pixels" option, and then also selecting the "preserve original aspect ratio" it should be possible to select either the Width OR the Height of the resulting image, as the "ratio" formulae should be able to calculate the missing measurement. Unfortunately it does not seem to work this way. When I remove one of the measurements I get an error message.
        • When I do enter measurements for both Width and Height, the result is unpredictable. I tried two measurements for an Original picture which had a size of 1600 x 1200:
          • When entering 1000 x 600 the resulting picture ends up being 800 x 600. I.e. it looked on this one as if the app took the 600 pixels for the height as that represented 50%. It then took 50% of the width and applied that; BUT
          • When entering 800 x 900 (obviously a size not representing the original aspect ratio), the resulting picture was also 800 x 600. i.e. 50% again.
        • I would say, that feature does not work.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Tahunga

Comment

Hi sunjamr,

Thank you for your feedback. I've looked into this issue a bit more.

sunjamr, you commented:

UPDATE: If I do a Batch resize, then do the Batch Change Format command, I am given the option to decrease the JPG quality. However, after I Run the Change Format command, the JPG quality doesn't get decreased. I found that the only way I can reduce the JPG quality to get a smaller file size (using this latest Beta) is to choose File > Save As > then select a decreased JPG quality. When I do that, the file mentioned above goes from 1.3 MB to about 100 KB. In earlier versions, I could set up a Custom Batch command which would let me do a Resize and Change Format (to reduce the JPG quality) all in one click.

If you select a JPG, then Batch > Change Format to JPG and reduce quality, the image filesize is reduced, as can be verified in Finder. However, the status bar and properties pane in ACDSee doesn't refresh. I've logged this issue in our internal bug tracking system.

For your second comment ('Maybe a simple solution would be to add the option of Save As to the Batch command list, which might trigger the ability to choose a higher JPG compression."), a workaround could be to have a Batch Preset with two steps: Copy then Change Format (and reduce the quality).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
          David

Comment

Hi Tahunga,

Thank you for your feedback.

The output depends on the "Fit Within" option. If you select "Width and Height", then the output images will be resized such that neither width nor height exceeds the width/height values you entered.
            In the examples you give, I believe you had the "Width and Height" option selected, which is the default.

In your 800x900 case, if instead the output image height was 900, then the width would need to be 1200 (assuming you preserve original aspect ratio). But this would exceed the constraint you entered that the width not exceed 800. Therefore the output is 800x600.

Hope this makes sense, please let me know if I misunderstood your comment.

Thank you,
            David

Comment

Hi David,

you are absolutely correct. I guess at first sight I was just a little confused by the three options to resize an image, as they are different although they try to achieve the same result with different measures.

Regards,

‚Äč....Tahunga

Comment

Working...
              X