Scanning all subdirectories in Aperture library Masters folder crashes Mac

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning all subdirectories in Aperture library Masters folder crashes Mac

Select the Masters folder within the Aperture library.
    Click the right-arrow to expand it.
    Select all of the folders within Masters.
    Click the right-arrow to expand them.
    repeat until you've selected all of the folders/subfolders within the Masters folder.

I can't get to the stage where I can select all of the folders. 1 level before I can select the inner-most folders, ACDSee scans everything selected. After several minutes of trying to do this, the whole computer crashes and restarts.

Repeatable.

OS X 10.12.5
    16GB RAM
    LOTS of HDD space

Aperture Masters folder:

Hierarchy:
    Masters
    - years
    - - months
    - - - days
    - - - - date/time
    - - - - - photo file

Level 1 - years - 13 items
    Level 2 - years/months - 113 items
    Level 3 - years/months/days - 470 items
    Level 4 - years/months/days + date/time - 3,546 items
    item count including container folders: 59,475
    JPG and CR2. mostly CR2
    some mp4, videos.

Aperture library on an external HDD connected via eSATA.

After restart.

This time tried only expanding/selecting the contents of years 2006 and 2007, a total of 19,650 items.

Cursor is spinning. Has been for more than 5 minutes.

... no crash. everything ok.

Processing indicator currently shows 5%.

... all done.

Too many selected at the same time crashes the Mac?

Also... the Finder indicates that the 2006 and 2007 folders contain more than 19,000 items, but the Calendar section of ACDSee after processing only indicates less than 8,000 photos. wrong?
    Last edited by Gregory; 05-16-2017, 05:29 AM.

Comment

There's a memory leak?

After scanning/processing all of the Aperture photos in 3 smaller batches, I selected all of the folders again to see what would happen.

I then opened the Activity Monitor and watched as ACDSee's memory usage climbed non-stop. I force-quit ACDSee after it had climbed from 10GB of RAM to more than 25GB. 20GB of the RAM used by ACDSee was compressed. my Mac Pro only has 16GB of RAM.

I have a screen-movie of the RAM usage if you need it.

cheers,
      Gregory

Comment

This app has suffered from various memory problems from the beginning, even going back to V! over 8 years ago. It really shows up when working with large numbers of files in a folder or when working the app over a long time or both. Perhaps a review of the entire architecture would help here. So much looking forward to using this app in native Mac mode.
        Last edited by LeChiffre; 05-17-2017, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Hi Gregory,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback.
          I've investigated the issue and was able to reproduce similar memory issues to the one you describe.
          I've logged this issue in our internal bug tracking system and passed this info on to our development team.

Regarding the Calendar, the calendar in ACDSee only counts images, whereas in Finder, the item count includes non-image filetypes, folders, sidecar files, etc. Could that explain the discrepancy you're seeing?

Best regards,
          David

Comment

Originally posted by david@acd View Post
            Regarding the Calendar, the calendar in ACDSee only counts images, whereas in Finder, the item count includes non-image filetypes, folders, sidecar files, etc. Could that explain the discrepancy you're seeing?
            no. I expanded the Masters folder and counted only the image files. for example, for the year 2006, I have at least 7,052 files but ACDSee only counts 4,110. I'm in the process of organising my master files (renaming according to exif, deleting duplicates, etc) for import into another app. I have pretty accurate numbers of my master files

Comment

Hi Gregory,

Thank you for your reply.
              As mentioned in our Known Issues list, the calendar item counts in Beta 4 are incorrectly based on the File Creation date. I suspect this is different from Aperture, which is causing the discrepancy.

This issue will be fixed in Beta 5 -- calendar item counts will be based on EXIF date/time original value, not file creation date.

Best regards,
              David

Comment

Working...
              X