Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deleted Photo do NOT go into Trash Can ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleted Photo do NOT go into Trash Can ...

Hello,

I was culling through some photos using TAGGING and discovered a real problem in using "Move to Trash". As I was selecting and moving photos to trash, I accidentally moved a photo I wanted to keep into trash. When I went to the Trash Can to retrieve it, I notice there were NO files in the Trash. So, I did a test on some other files and they didn't go to the Trash Can, they are permanently deleted. This is a Major Problem. We all make mistakes and that's what the Trash Can is for. I'm using macOS 10.12.6 and Beta 7. Didn't have this problem with macOS 10.12.5 and Beta 6.

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your feedback.

By any chance, are your photos located on an external drive?
    If so, please check if your removable drive contains a hidden ".Trashes" folder.
    I believe your photos should be in there.

Best regards,
    David

Comment

Hi David,

Yes, my photos were on a external drive. The photos I deleted were done using the Remove to Trash by right clicking. When you do this on a iMac, they go directly to the trash can. You can then remove them if you've made a mistake. When I did this delete, nothing went to the trash can. If I've done a delete and not empty the trash on the external drive, when I plug in back in the Trash Can will fill up with those files. Done of this happened. They were immediately deleted. That's my concern.

Thanks,

Dennis

Comment

Hi Dennis,

I tried this myself and what I found was that in some cases, files on a removable drive that I "Move to Trash" with ACDSee would not go into the Mac Trash Can but rather the hidden ".Trashes" folder on the removable drive itself. I could not reproduce a case where they were permanently deleted. To see the hidden ".Trashes" folder on my removable drive, I had to enable the Mac preference to show hidden files and folders. I found these instructions to do that:

1. Run this command in Terminal: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
        2. Hold the 'Option/alt' key, then right-click on the Finder icon in the dock and Relaunch.

I wonder if your photos were not permanently deleted, but rather were moved to the Trash on the removable drive itself.

Thanks,
        David

Comment

Hi David,

That's a good possibility. I didn't know how to look for hidden folders. I was surprise one day when I plugged in my external hard drive only to find files in the trash can that I had deleted the day before. Weird ... ugh? This happens if you delete files and then eject the external drive before emptying the trash. The program though should move them to the Trash Can ... right?

Dennis

Comment

Working...
          X