Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a useless Pro 3 also !! The thumbnails begin to populate and then are replaced with the white "page" icons. This occurred after updating to Maverick. I've emailed support so I hope they come up with an answer or refund us.

Comment

This is just ridiculous. With this many people complaining about a non-working program after upgrading to Mavericks, we should all be getting a FREE patch or update to resolve the issue. However, if the developers decide to force us to purchase a new v4 (just so that it's Mavericks compatible) and only care about their profit and not the users, then you've definitely lost a loyal customer base here and I will NEVER recommend this product to anyone in the future. I hope you don't repeat the same mistakes you've made in the past by forcing people to upgrade their software, because at this point, I have a useless app that isn't functioning as its supposed to which could have been avoided had the developers just downloaded the beta version of Mavericks and fixed these issues before it was released.

Comment

Originally posted by wintrospection View Post
        This is just ridiculous. With this many people complaining about a non-working program after upgrading to Mavericks, we should all be getting a FREE patch or update to resolve the issue. However, if the developers decide to force us to purchase a new v4 (just so that it's Mavericks compatible) and only care about their profit and not the users, then you've definitely lost a loyal customer base here and I will NEVER recommend this product to anyone in the future. I hope you don't repeat the same mistakes you've made in the past by forcing people to upgrade their software, because at this point, I have a useless app that isn't functioning as its supposed to which could have been avoided had the developers just downloaded the beta version of Mavericks and fixed these issues before it was released.
        Read the entire thread, ACDSee have already confirmed a fix is coming in the form of a free patch. (Post #13)

Of course that doesnt mean that they shouldn't have tested their code with a dev preview of Mavericks before it was released

Comment

• wintrospection
          wintrospection commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, I did read the entire thread but nowhere does it say anything about a free patch.

We are into November now - where't the patch??? I can't believe the developer(s) didn't try it out on the beta version of Mavericks. What were they doing, sitting around drinking coffee? It smacks of someone working in their bedroom rather than a professional business. Its not as if they are coming out with new software on a regular basis. There is no excuse for this, and I can't see it being a big issue to resolve, so come on, get your fingers out!!!

Comment

• QuBe
          QuBe commented
          Editing a comment
          There were no less than 10 builds of Mavericks released to developers from WWDC to October 22nd.
          I tend to think a commercial developer of Mac software would probably have gotten around to testing at least one of them....I dunno, just a hunch.

So Apple makes changes to their OS that breaks working ACDsee installs and it's ACDSee's fault? And you think ACDSee owes you free software, because of it?
        Since lots of other apps have suffered problems or stopped working because of Mavericks, did it ever occur to you that maybe Apple screwed the pooch....or, do you honestly believe Apple can do no wrong?
        Mavericks went gold master on Oct 4th...and there was another build seeded between then (as last as October 20th) and (the public release on) the 22nd!
        For all we know, Apple could have changed things that broke apps just 2 days before public release!!
        So developing for Mac (or Microsoft for that matter) it isn't quite as simple as appearances would have us believe.
        Last edited by QuBe; 11-04-2013, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• RWLeibrand
          RWLeibrand commented
          Editing a comment
          I concur. There's probably plenty of reasons why development is usually a very long process with the occasional glitches. In my knee jerk reaction, I was about to call Apple tech help to walk me through uninstall of OS X Mavericks and revert back to Mountain Lion! Then, my common sense kicked in and told me to be patient. After all, this device is a wonderful tool we all enjoy, but it can consume so much of our time, that other chores don't get done. So while I wait, I'm attending to some much needed household maintenance. I know the good folks at Apple and ACDSEE will have our fun tool up and running very soon.

• QuBe
          QuBe commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably best to stay put, if Mavericks is otherwise running okay. If the ACDSee patch doesn't work out, then let the railing commence.
          (I'm always gun shy of major releases...I hold off for a few weeks and see how things turn out.
          Waiting was a good thing with iOS...there's no going back from 7. And with older iPhones like mine, I wasn't hearing good things about battery life. I feel okay about upgrading now since it's at 7.2 or something, but I'm just not keen on the look of it...)

So Apple makes changes to their OS that breaks working ACDsee installs and it's ACDSee's fault? And you think ACDSee owes you free software, because of it?
        Since lots of other apps have suffered problems or stopped working because of Mavericks, did it ever occur to you that maybe Apple screwed the pooch....or, do you honestly believe Apple can do no wrong?
        Mavericks went gold master on Oct 4th...and there was another build seeded between then (as last as October 20th) and (the public release on) the 22nd!
        For all we know, Apple could have changed things that broke apps just 2 days before public release!!
        So developing for Mac (or Microsoft for that matter) it isn't quite as simple as appearances would have us believe.
        Regardless of whether or not it's Apple's fault, the fact of the matter is that we all purchased an application expecting it to work as expected. While I don't blame ACDSee for this matter, what I do wish to convey is to make sure that we aren't required to pay for an upgrade. Previously, ACDSee disregarded its loyal fan base and required payment for an upgrade just to have it working again with no new features added to it. In this case, having felt ripped off is a huge understatement. Many people complained that they had just purchased the previous version a month or so back, and having to pay for an upgrade was distasteful and unnecessary. Aside from ACDSee, I actually don't know any other application that doesn't provide a free upgrade if their software happened to break due to coding in the new OS (for both Windows or Mac). This is the reason I am making sure we all don't just sit back and watch as the money train comes and runs us over with this new Maverick update. As long as it's a free upgrade, I don't mind having to wait, but I sure in hell don't want to be slapped with a new "$19.99 upgraded for Mavericks" bull****************.

Comment

• QuBe
          QuBe commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, I see.
          I agree that a free patch is a reasonable expectation.

But I don't think it's any coincidence that Apple devotes minimal attention and resources to support of "legacy" applications. They don't mind at all if programs that compete with their own apps happen to get broken by their latest OS updates.
          They certainly have the boundless resources to ensure backwards compatibility, but their policy has historically been "our way or the highway"...even for some of their own apps and hardware. So, who's the villain here? A small company getting screwed over into having to devote resources to re-engineer their application (and maybe forced to charge for compatibility maintenance), or a wealthy behemoth of a company that deliberately strong arms obsolescence?

This is the reason I am making sure we all don't just sit back and watch as the money train comes and runs us over with this new Maverick update. As long as it's a free upgrade, I don't mind having to wait, but I sure in hell don't want to be slapped with a new "$19.99 upgraded for Mavericks" bull****************.
        The patch has already been confirmed as free (see my post #13) - sometimes reading the thread helps
        Last edited by MogMoogle; 11-05-2013, 03:11 AM.

Comment

The patch has already been confirmed as free (see my post #13) - sometimes reading the thread helps
          Sometimes checking your own post would help as well; as I've stated, nowhere do you mention FREE anywhere. But anyways, if that's the response you got from the developers, let's just sit back and wait for the free update/patch.

Comment

After upgrading to Mavericks, I'm experiencing the same problem with ACDSee 3.1 Pro as everyone, thumbnails show for a second and then immediately replaced by blank icons. I thought it probably can have something to do with the integrated iPhotos app, so I deleted it. Didn't help.

Tried to use Apperture, but it's ridiculous, because in order to resize an image you have to buy(!) a separate "edit and resize" plugin. Using Photoshop to resize images is painful, especially when batch-resize is needed.

Been a devoted ACD products user since 1999, hope the developers straighten this out soon. Does anybody know if there's a way to get notified when the desirable patch is out? Last time I had to update via downloading from web (the app didn't notify me of new updates available).

Comment

• QuBe
              QuBe commented
              Editing a comment
              Does ACDSee for Mac 3 have a "Check For Updates and Messages" item in the Help menu?
              (The Windows version has this...it's tied in with the ACDIDInTouch background service that pings the mothership for updates whenever ACDSee is run. Does the Mac version have this?)

QuBe commented on shrubman's reply

Today, 01:15 PM

Does ACDSee for Mac 3 have a "Check For Updates and Messages" item in the Help menu?
            (The Windows version has this...it's tied in with the ACDIDInTouch background service that pings the mothership for updates whenever ACDSee is run. Does the Mac version have this?)

Yes it does, under the program menu, not Help menu. Says everything's up to date.

Comment

• QuBe
              QuBe commented
              Editing a comment
              Good. Hopefully that'll notify Mac users when the patch is pushed out.
              Last edited by QuBe; 11-05-2013, 04:35 PM.

Hello,

we're not alone, all over the world the same problems, today I wrote to Tech Support, and received the following :

Thank you for contacting ACD Systems Customer Support. To continue this correspondence, please just hit “reply” to this email.

Currently, ACDSee Pro 3 for Mac is supported on OSX 10.8 and OSX 10.7.

Our development team is working on OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) Compatibility and is almost completed. The release of this version is planned to be in November.

Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.

Regards,
            R****t - ACD Customer Care Team
            I do hope the the fix will be posted here, as well as I expect that they sent out an link where we can download the fix or what ever it will be,
            if not, it will be hard to stay with ACDSee in the future.

Comment

I am having the same issue. I have a client waiting on photos and I don't own Aperture! I need a fix now! I have 60 photos to fix in a couple of hours! I didnt know my computer was going to flip out this way! I really need something soon. It's November. Where is the patch?

Comment

I wrote this back to that LAME apology they gave. What they don't realize is that this is a company and us photographers who already get paid **************** depend on their product to get things done quickly. This goes down the line liek a domino effect and hurts all of us. Its hard enough trying to find work these days and when you have a new client you can't even give them quality because the company you TRUSTED to help you with this ONE task has failed. This is unacceptable. They should be ashamed. They had sufficient time to do what they needed.

"Ok you are sorry but that doesn’t solve my issue. Why wasn’t this done way before Mavericks came out when Apple sent you the software for developers?? This is really unprofessional. You all have ONE job and that’s to keep these products running smoothly. You are making me look bad to my client. Maybe your work ethics are subpar but mine is spotless. I give what I am asked for. You have a reputation of being terrible at keeping at the pace of the demand for business. learn to run a software developing company or just quit already. SERIOUSLY."

Comment

• QuBe
                  QuBe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry, but you made yourself look bad to your client - nobody in their right mind (or claiming to be professional) does a system or application upgrade in the middle of a contract.
                  OSX (or Windows) upgrades break things...that's guaranteed.
                  Instead of saying others should be ashamed, take some responsibility for what happens on your own computer and your own business.
                  You didn't have to upgrade to Mavericks.
                  Go bitch at Apple for betraying your trust by breaking working applications with their OS upgrade....they could have easily prevented it with the massive resources at their disposal.
                  Last edited by QuBe; 11-07-2013, 05:13 PM.

I have both acdsee and aperture and I had to use the later one since the mavericks upgrade. I really miss the folder browsing that acdsee has (instead of importing photos to a library). I think next time maybe the acdsee team could start the upgrading work since the preview or beta version of OS X. So the users won't have to wait this long.

Comment

I too have been using ACDSee for years on a PC and was happy to purchase it for my new MAC... now after the Mavericks update its useless. This could be the final reason I need to finally switch to Adobe... Please help us fast ACDSee or you are going to lose many many long devoted customers.

Comment

• Dan8
                    Dan8 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ok everyone, there's nothing new here. ACD has had problems not only with the basic code but with every OS upgrade. They are the very last ones to pay attention to the Mac. Every OS is a giant surprise as if they didn't know it was coming. Wish the old forums were still around and you could see how ACD treats Mac.
                    The new V3.5 is better and does fix a lot of the issues as you have probably found out by now, but still has problems.
                    Adobe Elements doesn't have these issues and does more than ACD, that's why I switched out of 3 years of frustration and it's been my go to for over a year now. I've never had to swear at or call Adobe for anything.
                Working...
                X