Still an active product path?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still an active product path?

I've been using ACDSee since the late '90s, always on Windows, but this week I bought a new 5K iMac. I was surprised to see that ACDSee Pro3 is pushing three years old now; that's unusual for ACDSee, though in truth I'm kind of glad to see them work on making a product better instead of simply cranking out a new one every 12 months. Their efforts to keep up on raw formats seem to be slipping - I still can't read raw files from my Sony RX100 Mark IV that's now 6+ months old - but in this forum here I see recent messages about updates.

There's a deal on to get Pro 3 for $25 this weekend, so I'll very likely snap it up - there seems to be a lack of competing apps that can wrangle EXIF date changes as easily as ACDSee can - but does anyone know if ACD Systems offers a window of upgrade opportunity? i.e.: if I guy Pro 3 today, and they come out with Pro 4 (or Ultimate 9 or whatever they want to call it) next month, would I qualify for an upgrade?

Originally posted by jasondunn View Post
    I've been using ACDSee since the late '90s, always on Windows, but this week I bought a new 5K iMac. I was surprised to see that ACDSee Pro3 is pushing three years old now; that's unusual for ACDSee, though in truth I'm kind of glad to see them work on making a product better instead of simply cranking out a new one every 12 months. Their efforts to keep up on raw formats seem to be slipping - I still can't read raw files from my Sony RX100 Mark IV that's now 6+ months old - but in this forum here I see recent messages about updates.

There's a deal on to get Pro 3 for $25 this weekend, so I'll very likely snap it up - there seems to be a lack of competing apps that can wrangle EXIF date changes as easily as ACDSee can - but does anyone know if ACD Systems offers a window of upgrade opportunity? i.e.: if I guy Pro 3 today, and they come out with Pro 4 (or Ultimate 9 or whatever they want to call it) next month, would I qualify for an upgrade?
    ACDSee Pro Mac has been around much longer than 3 years. Think closer to 8. There have been little changes to the app beyond tweaking it for each new OS and adding a 1,2 or 3 after the Pro. This is probably the worst app of it's kind on the market today. It needs a complete rewrite but don't hold your breath. The complaints over the years would fill a library. If you want a good solid app for Macs get Adobe Elements. It works the same way but it's silky smooth on a Mac and it's a universe more capable than this poor app.
    Last edited by pongajim; 01-17-2016, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pongajim View Post
      It needs a complete rewrite but don't hold your breath. The complaints over the years would fill a library. If you want a good solid app for Macs get Adobe Elements. It works the same way but it's silky smooth on a Mac and it's a universe more capable than this poor app.
      Looks like they realize that: the beta came out this week and so far it can show me JPEGS, so that's an improvement over the last version. ;-)

I used to love the Adobe Elements products on Windows years ago, but they got more and more bloated and slower, so I gave up on them. Good to hear they are solid on macOS.

Comment

There isn't anything on the market that does what I want, other than ACDSee Pro Mac. I also came from a Windows background and got used to the way it works - flawlessly on Windows. It has been very frustrating on the Mac, as anytime a new version of the Mac OS is released it renders ACDSee unusable. They have now released a beta version after many months - during which time ACDSee users have not had a product they can use - so lets hope the development team will now start looking after Mac users better

Comment

Working...
        X