Embed ACDSee Metadata does not write keywords to IPTC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embed ACDSee Metadata does not write keywords to IPTC

When I select "Tools->Metadata->Embed ACSee Metadata->Embed in all files" from the menu, ACDSee completes the process without errors, but it does not write the ACDSee keywords that I have assigned to the photos into the IPTC keyword field.

To accomplish this I have to apply a Metadata preset that I have set up so that it applies ACDSee keywords to the IPTC keywords and after I click the Apply button, the keywords are written to the files.

I thought the "Tools->Metadata->Embed ACSee Metadata->Embed in all files" function was suppose to do this...

In Lightroom, when I add, edit or delete keywords from a photo, it's automatically written to the IPTC keyword field, without the need to run any manual commands. Is it possible to set up ACDSee to do the same?

ACDSee keywords are not the same as IPTC keywords; they’re a separate set of keywords. The ACDSee keywords are embedded in the photo when you run the "Embed in all files", but not in the IPTC keyword metadata area.

I only enter my keywords into the IPTC keywords field in the Properties/IPTC pane. My only problem with IPTC keywords is that it can take a very long time to run a search on them. Searching ACDSee keywords might be quicker; I’ve just never tried.

Comment

ACDSee keywords work with all filetypes, IPTC not. That's why I use ACDSee keywords first, then copy them to IPTC where it is possible.

Maybe it would be nice if there would be an option to automatically synchronize those two Keywords.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linsdell View Post
        ACDSee keywords are not the same as IPTC keywords; they’re a separate set of keywords. The ACDSee keywords are embedded in the photo when you run the "Embed in all files"
        I know their are different things but I didn't know that ACDSee metadata could be written to the files and that's why I wanted to write the ACDSee keywords to the IPTC counterpart.

When I started migrating back to ACDSee a few days ago, all my photos from 2009 and backwards was organized in their correct categories automatically. At the moment, I thought that was data from the IPTC-fields, but since then, I have learned that IPTC don't have support for this kind of categories. But at that point I had forgotten that ACDSee had organized my old photos in categories anyway and hence got that data from somewhere. Obviously this data came from the files them self and it was the ACDSee Metadata that I wrote to the files when I turned to the dark side back in 2009.

You made me remember all this, and hence I'm happy with the way things works If I would want to move to another software in the feature, I can write the keywords to the IPTC-field "manually" by applying my Metadata preset, but for the sake of backup, that's not necessary.

SCX:
        Maybe it would be nice if there would be an option to automatically synchronize those two Keywords.

Since many software companies struggles to came up with ideas of new functions to offer their customers, they should take note and add this function Or maybe it's just Adobe who struggles with new ideas and instead tries to charge per month.

Sorry for my crappy English.

Comment

Originally posted by SCX View Post
          ACDSee keywords work with all filetypes, IPTC not.
          ACDSee keywords do not work with all file types, but ACDSee can write it's metadata to an XMP sidecar file if the file type doesn't support embedding. Or maybe that's what you meant?

Comment

Originally posted by Gutenisse View Post
            Sorry for my crappy English.
            Better then mine ;-)

Originally posted by Gutenisse View Post

ACDSee keywords do not work with all file types, but ACDSee can write it's metadata to an XMP sidecar file if the file type doesn't support embedding. Or maybe that's what you meant?
            Yes, that's what I meant. IPTC isn't possible for example with PDF, not even as sidecar file.

Comment

Working...
            X