Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File compression after editing

Hello everybody,

I just recently bought ACDsee and recognized this: After editing RAW files (in my case NIKON NEF) the edited picture cannot be stored in a lossless compressed format. This only applies to editing NEF files, developed NEFs are still stored compressed (because the original file is not altered).
    Is there a possibility to store edited files in a lossless compressed format so they don't take so much space (about 130MB/file)?

Thank you very much for your help!
    Rob

First of all, I'm not a Nikon guy, so you might want to do a little personal research and testing after you read my response. To my knowledge, the only way to come close to doing this is to convert the NEF to DNG before opening them with ACDSee. (DNG, I don't think, is a truly compressed file format, but it does tend to make a smaller file size)

You will need to do the conversion with the Adobe DNG conversion tool first, since ACDSee doesn't have the ability to WRITE to a DNG file, just read it. ACDSee treats DNG like it would any other raw file format,

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are too many applications on the market that does exactly what you want. Maybe the native NIkon raw tool has this ability?

Comment

Could you be more specific, what's not working? TIF with LZW compression should be possible.

Comment

PNG is also lossless as an Edit Mode output file format.

Comment

I interpreted the OP's comments to be referring to a conversion to the compressed NEF raw file from uncompressed. See this link: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans...,-and-jpg-file

Comment

Thank you all very much!
            • Yes, DNG would be an option for developing the pictures but not editing, because ACDsee - as you said - cannot convert into DNG after editing.
            • The compression to a PSD is apparaently only possible for pictures with lower than 48bit colour but all my pictures are 48bit colour.
            • TIFF does work but the file size is the same than uncompressed NEF or when using LZW-Compression even bigger (???!!!)
            • PNG does reduce the file size a bit but colour is reduced to 32bit, so I assume there is some loss in quality.
            I thought there might be a way to reduce the edited picture to the same file size as the unedited RAWs without losing quality. But it doesn't look that way. Would be a cool feature for upcoming versions of ACDsee though.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't got it on the first time Editing an image always means to change the format from RAW to a regular image format as far as I know. The only solution I know is to stay in the develop mode. I really hope, ACDSee improves the develop mode in future versions instead of adding other stuff I don't need.

I tested TIF with LZW again. The filesize was much smaller on my first test, but with a different image it gets actually bigger. Deflate doesn't help much on my second test image, but at least it gets a little bit smaller. So I guess, it depends on the image, if and how much the filesize could be made smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by SCX View Post
                Sorry, I didn't got it on the first time Editing an image always means to change the format from RAW to a regular image format as far as I know. The only solution I know is to stay in the develop mode. I really hope, ACDSee improves the develop mode in future versions instead of adding other stuff I don't need.

I tested TIF with LZW again. The filesize was much smaller on my first test, but with a different image it gets actually bigger. Deflate doesn't help much on my second test image, but at least it gets a little bit smaller. So I guess, it depends on the image, if and how much the filesize could be made smaller.
                Thank you , I had similar results with the TIFF.

Comment

Working...
                X