Exclude Duplicates from Import

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exclude Duplicates from Import

How do I exclude duplicates from import?

It's a bit bonkers this critical feature doesn't appear to be included; who wants to import the same photos multiple times?

"who wants to import the same photos multiple times?"
    No one I know. But why would you leave photos in your camera after importing them? I have the import module configured to "Delete from source after import." If you're concerned about having a backup (always important), set the Backup to option as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSpew View Post

It's a bit bonkers this critical feature doesn't appear to be included; who wants to import the same photos multiple times?

Are you keeping already downloaded photos on your camera media card? Why?

The easiest way to prevent that from occurring is to erase those photos before your next photo shoot.

But in the import dialog (see below), the photos are organized by date, one can de-select those dates that one does not want to import. You can also select or deselect individual photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-28_8-53-16.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	38725

To prevent importing duplicate photos programatically would require that the ACDSee database for each photo that is a candidate for import, be searched for any existing photos with the exact same identifying characteristics. This would be incredibly slow. Plus, any photo that you have changed the name on, or changed any of the EXIF data, or cropped, or anything else would be missed, and any heuristic search logic added would make it even slower.. ACDSee is very versatile ,but I don't see how this method could EVER have any reliability. It would cause far more complaints than it would sighs of satisfaction.
      Last edited by Glen Barrington; 10-28-2016, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Glen

To prevent importing duplicate photos programatically would require that the ACDSee database for each photo that is a candidate for import, be searched for any existing photos with the exact same identifying characteristics.

Not sure that is the only way to do it. I use DownloaderPro which has no contact at all with my Dbase yet shows any images already downloaded. Never thought about it before but suppose it must retain info on last few downloads.

Comment

All you need to do is check the destination folder for the same filename. If it exists, don't download. If I rename the file, that's on me and I'll get a new copy. Nothing to do with the database or edits. It doesn't need to care.

Comment

If there was an option to specify to transfer all photos since a certain date, would that go someway to giving you what you need?

Comment

I'm a new ACDSee user, still working out how to use it.

Not being able to identify dupes during import was a disappointment.

I take a lot of photos on my phone. But I also leave a lot of the photos on my phone for viewing. So, removing them after import isn’t really an option.

Some packages I’ve used in the past have kept track of my imports and automatically skipped previously imported photos. From memory even Microsoft Photo Gallery did this. It was a surprise when ACDSee didn’t.

Having an option to only import from a certain date would be helpful, but would require me to go into the backup drive to check what the last date was each time. It's a trivial task, but it’s something I thought ACDSee would be able to do on its own.

As a new user, I perhaps came into ACDSee with unrealistic expectations. But I'm hoping that my problems are more to do with not knowing my way round the program.

Comment

It had such a feature in 2.0 as far as I remember, but it was changed to the way it does now. Reason was I think, that better import twice than don't import at all and format your memory card after the import. Or skip some fotos that have - by accident - the same filename. Different cameras for example, imported to the same folder. Makes sense.

Comment

What is a dupe?

Most of us will agree that two binary identical files on target media are dupes. But how about an image with edited photographers name on the source? Should it be imported again? Or an image that has been 'enhanced' by an app on the smart phone? Or files in different formats? ...

Everyone has his own imagination of a dupe - this imagination even changes, depending on current needs. So a dupe often just is an image that currently is nerve-racking because it's similar to another image :-) No software will even catch this if we don't use a precisely defined folder and file naming scheme on the target media.

But if we use such a scheme, the import routine should allow to not import an image if another image with the same name already exists on the target media. At this point AC is epically failing when adding a number to end of the names instead. There must be an option to not import an image again if an image with the name already exists on the target.

And yes indeed, AC Pro 2 had such an option:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	39550

Comment

From memory tools I've used in the past didn't do any comparisons with the target directory. They just kept track of what had already been imported. I remember I once did an import, then deleted the folder and tried to import again, (I was playing around with the file naming stuff). The tool, I'm pretty sure it was windows photo gallery, deselected the photos it had already imported. Even though they no longer existed on the target.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Barrington View Post
                      This would be incredibly slow.
                      Picasa used to exclude duplicates very quickly and without issue; It can be done.

As for leaving photos on the card; do you remember to format the card every single time you import without fail? I doubt it.

Comment

Picasa used to exclude duplicates very quickly and without issue; It can be done.

As for leaving photos on the card; do you remember to format the card every single time you import without fail? I doubt it.

mmm maybe, it could be done faster, but I doubt it. However I do tell ACDSee to delete the image from the card upon successful import. reformat is not needed.

Comment

​Actually, I do remember to reformat my cards before every photo shoot. It is a good habit to get into.
                          ​Even if I forgot, it would not take much to open the folder with the OS and delete the older files before transfer to the machine.

Comment

What about importing from a cloud source? I import from Google Drive to get my mobile photos into my collections; excluding duplicate there would be excellent.

Comment

I got the impression the issue was with card imports. No matter. In the end, I think you are setting yourself up for failure by keeping the "same" file in multiple places. It is just too difficult to keep things straight. A better workflow would be to focus on keeping each image in only one place... then avoid processes or applications that put the same stuff in two places thus forcing file acrobatics that will always have some doubt (Or course, file backup is an entirely different concept).

​In the end, you'd be well served to keep one master copy and one backup... and avoid all processes that threaten that approach.

Comment

Working...
                              X