Sorting Bug - Collection & Sets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorting Bug - Collection & Sets

Found what I recon is a bug in the sorting of Collections; It's putting "10" before "6".

Example: I'm building a collections for a recent holiday.
    "Day 0-5 - Going to X"
    ​"Day 6-9 - Going to Y"
    ​"Day 10-11 - Going to Z"

Is sorted as
    "Day 0-5 - Going to X"
    ​"Day 10-11 - Going to Z"
    ​"Day 6-9 - Going to Y"

Putting a leading "0" on everything below "10" is a very dated way of number on a PC.

Maybe sort by date taken instead of file name.... or create a search for file date ranges, then label that search Day X through Day Y.

Comment

This isn't a bug, its a feature. Microsoft introduced numerical sorting with windows xp many years ago. It can be switched off for the explorer, but this policy isn't recognised by AC. You will need to use pre-zero's in your names.

Comment

COLLECTIONS & SETS!

This internal to ACDSee and has nothing to do with Windows or files names.

Comment

@ MattSpewCan you be more specific as to how you have built your collection? Using your examples as filenames, I find they sort just fine. (see screen print link below) I have found that ACDSee pretty much follows the rules regarding how data is stored and is accessed by hierarchical databases. It has never really offered me any surprises in that regard.

Once I know a bit more about how you are going about your procedure, as a retired Database Administrator, I might be able to shed some light what is going on and maybe even come up with an alternative for you.

https://content-na.drive.amazonaws.c...Box=1919%2C996
          Last edited by Glen Barrington; 02-27-2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

So what is wrong with using categories and sets defined by the EXIF image date?

Comment

You are sorting a text field. The numbers aren't seen as numbers but as text, so 1 comes before 6. No way around it as far as I know other than to put leading zeros, 06-09 for instance

Comment

Working...
              X