Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on two devices

Hello
    Is there a way to copy the development settings from one device to another?

Can you be more specific? Do you mean the options for the development tab itself? Copying the development settings from a photo on computer "A" to the SAME photo on Computer "B", or do you mean copying the development settings from a photo on computer 'A' to a totally different photo on computer 'B'?

Comment

audeles - Just a guess, but is what you mean: can I copy all my Develop Presets from one computer to another?

If that's your intended question, then yes you can do that. However, you have to use the Registry Editor. There isn't an automated function within ACDSee to Export Registry settings, and Import them into another computer. That said, it's pretty easy to do -- happens to me every time I upgrade my computer and have to reload all my software and settings. The trick in knowing the Registry key where all the presets are stored, Which is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACD Systems\EditLib\Version 1.0\Develop\Presets

Using Regedit.exe, first navigate to the above key. Click File > Export and give the file a name. Mine is ACD Presets.reg. Copy that file over to you new computer. Assuming that the ACDSee software is already installed in your other computer, all you have to do to import your presets is double-click on your ACD Presets.reg file. That should launch Regedit.exe and automatically enter the Import function.

Comment

Thank you for your replies.
        The trick with the registry seems very useful, I will definitely keep it in mind. What I actually meant is: I take a few pictures, copy them to my laptop and start developing / rating / tagging them on location. Now, after returning home, I want to copy the pictures with all information to my desktop computer and keep working where I left.

Comment

As long as you always use ACDSee itself to copy or move your images, all your Develop settings will remain in place. I do your laptop / desktop scenario all the time. For syncing images between a travel laptop and a home desktop, you should look into getting one of the good file synchronization programs available. I use and recommend AllwaySync.
          Last edited by LV_Bill; 04-06-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing but just using windows offline files and do you sync your I pictures and database. I want to sync mine to 3 locations for backup purposes

Comment

I was thinking the same thing but just using windows offline files and do you sync your I pictures and database. I want to sync mine to 3 locations for backup purposes automatically

Comment

Nxdibbles - I actually sync my images across five separate systems (it's a long story). Using AllwaySync, it's very easy because it's a smart program and it only syncs new and updated files.

As for the database, I embed all my database info into the images themselves. So, when I sync the images, their database info goes wherever the images go. Or, stated another way, if you religiously embed all of your database info (tags, ratings, categories, captions, etc. etc.) then, you really aren't using the database for anything more than a big cache to aid in performance.

On the rare occasions when I find my database has a corruption problem, I just delete it and recreate it by running Tools > Database > Catalog Files. No more worrying about "losing" my precious database info. I use the same procedure when migrating to new ACDSee versions or to new computers. I never try to import or convert old databases.
                Last edited by LV_Bill; 04-06-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X