New CPU - 4 or 6 cores?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CPU - 4 or 6 cores?

Which processor will be faster for loading (RAW decode) and editing RAW photos?

Intel Core i7-7700K (4 cores / 8 threads) 4.2 GHZ
    Intel Core i7-6800K (6 cores / 12 threads) 3.4 GHZ
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8 cores / 16 threads) 3.4 GHZ

Now the speed of loading (decode) RAW photos from Nilon D750 (24MP) on my CPU intel i7 3770 (3.4 GHZ. cores / 8 threads, GPU - geforce 210) - 2.0 - 2.8 sec.

Does anyone have a processor with 6 or 8 cores? How long does the RAW load?

I suspect the differences the number of cores for processing raw image files doesn't matter THAT much. I personally suspect that the real bottleneck for still photography is still in the type of graphics card you have and the speed of your HDD or SSD. Display speed is pretty much an artifact of the graphics card for still photography.

Now if you intend to get into video, I suspect rendering time (Where the program takes the edited project and turns it into a playable video) would be greatly enhanced by a more powerful processor but even so, a 10 minute video can be rendered in about 10 minutes with a lenovo Desktop with an i7-6700 CPU running at 3.40 Ghz and 12 GB of ram.

My advice is don't skimp on the graphics card or your permanent storage read/write speed. If you have to compromise on something, I would go with the 4 core processors.
    Last edited by Glen Barrington; 04-19-2017, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Adding to Glen's good advice. In my last PC upgrade, I found that the CPU was important, and the Graphics card was very important. But, changing from HDD to SSD drives was overwhelmingly the most important factor affecting overall performance. Nothing comes close to the performance boost you will get from going to all SSD drives.
      Last edited by LV_Bill; 04-19-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

+1 for SSD Drives... +2 for SSD NVMe u.2 drives.

Comment

My Asus 1070 8gb upgrade made huge improvements on developing and editing running a lot smoother than my old 7870

Comment

Working...
          X