ACDSee Pro 9 crashing when invoked from another program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDSee Pro 9 crashing when invoked from another program

I have used ACDSee Pro 9 for several months for editing photos without problems. Recently I started using another program for tagging photos. That program runs ACDSee Pro 9 with the name of an image file on the command line. After I edit the image file in ACDSee Pro, I save it to the same file name and exit ACDSee Pro. I edited a number of files that way before encountering these problems: ACDSee Pro would be quite slow in starting. In some cases, ACDSee Pro would crash. I believe that the crashes occurred when there were 500 or more image files in a folder.

I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone else seen similar behavior when running ACDSee Pro from another program? Were you able to eliminate the crashing behavior?

2. How can I keep ACDSee Pro from scanning a folder and building thumbnails when I run it from another program? When I run ACDSee from another program, I just want to edit a single file and exit.

Please do not sidetrack this thread by trying to convince me to use ACDSee Pro for the image management part of the workflow. I have specific requirements and have experimented at length before settling on the workflow that I use.

ACDSee Pro 9 is running on an i5 Intel NUC PC with 16 GB of Ram and a 1 TB SSD. The image files are on a NAS. Both NAS and NUC PC have wired connections on a Gigabit LAN network.

What program are using?
    2. Remove folder from database

Comment

Originally posted by Nxdibbles View Post
      What program are using?
      JRiver Media Center. I've used it for cataloging and playing my music collection for 11 years. Its user interface and underlying database fits my needs there very well in that role. It also supports image management. That user interface is very fast and fluid for tagging files with occasion, location, common name and scientific name information. (wildflower, insect and wildlife photos mostly)

Adding a photo to this msg produced error messages.Linking to the image didn't work either. This forum s/w seems to break when I do anything.
      Last edited by OldListener; 06-29-2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

When invoking AC from another app, you most likely tend to have several windows of AC open. (This can be achived from with in AC with CTRL-SHIFT-N too.)

From my experience in such a situation AC's behaviour becomes unpredictable, AC will dramatically slow down and in the end most likely crash. This issue is ages old.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
          When invoking AC from another app, you most likely tend to have several windows of AC open. (This can be achived from with in AC with CTRL-SHIFT-N too.)

From my experience in such a situation AC's behavior becomes unpredictable, AC will dramatically slow down and in the end most likely crash. This issue is ages old.
          Thanks for the information. I'll avoid having more than one instance running at a time.

As I said in an earlier post, "After I edit the image file in ACDSee Pro, I save it to the same file name and exit ACDSee Pro." So I didn't have more than one instance open in my normal workflow. After I started having problems, I tried leaving an ACDSee window running so that it would not rescan the folder when I edited a new file. That didn't seem to help with the slow startup.

Comment

Originally posted by Nxdibbles View Post
            Thanks for that information. I'll try it out as soon as I can.

Comment

Working...
            X