Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpness

Hi!
    I noticed that the majority of pictures were more sharper with Capture One than with Acdsee (default settings).
    I tried to obtain the same result, and I think I was able to do it, with the following parameters (for landscape, machine, building...). See the screen shot.

100% seems to be excessive, but I have the feeling that the Acdsee sliders are not so "effective".

What do you think ? What about your (default) settings ?
    Thank you.

Alaric (French)

ACDSee's sharpening sliders do not behave like the similar ones in photoshop or Capture One. I have never been able to figure out a direct equivalence. For instance the Rayon setting are integers, in photoshop they can be small fractions. So by experimenting, depending on the camera, the ISO etc, I START with

Quantite: 45
    Rayon: 4
    Masque: 5
    Details: 50
    Seuil: 5.

For noise reduction my defaults are
    Luminance: 8
    Intensite: 8
    Couleur: 8
    Conserve les informations: 0
    Seuil de Conservation des informations: 85

These are for an Olympus OM-D Em-1 usually at ISO 200 RAW files. For most files I don't need to do anything more.

I think your noise reduction is very aggressive which is why you feel that the sharpening isn't doing much. I approach noise reduction by moving BOTH Luminance and Intensity to 100%. Then I adjust the Couleur to remove some colour noise, usually I need no more than 30%. THEN I back off the Luminance slider until I just begin to see noise again in the image - usually less than 30, the back off the Intensite to about the same level or less. Play with this as a technique and you'll find what works best for your particular camera.
    Last edited by Bobbert; 08-09-2017, 07:28 PM.

Comment

It's a funny coincidence : I have just bought this Em1 - M2 ( alternative to the cumbersome D810...), and it's with this camera (+12-100mm) I tested sharpness...

I agree that your parameters are very good... except for "couleur" : 8 is (for me) often not sufficiently. But, strangely "your" image has un greater impact : undoubtely, my "luminance" at 30 is too high, and that ruins the 100 of the sharpness.

Anyway, your parameters are more reasonable. I was aware something was wrong in mine...

Thank you for your advice.

Alaric (French)

Comment

My current workflow is to first set the mask on sharpening while holding the alt key so its only applied to desired areas. Next I'll do the same for preserve detail/preserve detail threshold. Then I'll zoom in to 400% to see the effects of changes at the pixel level and start by adjusting sharpening amount, beginning at 25% and moving up until the image becomes clearer. Then I'll adjust the radius to increase contrast to the point that it appears sharpened but without introducing haloing. Finally I'll adjust the detail slider which only affects the brightest pixels; I find this is the setting that can really help a photo pop without appearing overs-sharpened. I rarely use threshold, but there are certain times that it can be helpful to avoid over-sharpening. Next I'll work the noise reduction sliders, starting by increasing the luminance to the point that it begins to smooth out noise but still retains sufficient detail. Then I'll adjust the strength upward if the image is particularly noisy, but generally leave it at 0-5 and rarely push it much past 15. From there it's a balancing act, making small adjustments to sharpening/noise reduction and viewing different parts of the image to make sure the desired effects are uniformly applied. When I finally zoom back to 100% I find that I'm usually very happy with the results and my images are sharp without overdoing it.

Comment

Working...
        X