EXIF Date Changes Not Embedding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXIF Date Changes Not Embedding?

When I use the batch tool to correct EXIF date information in my images, I am noticing that all it's doing is creating XMP sidecars and NOT actually changing the dates in the files.

Is it not capable of fixing the RAW files themselves? I could swear this used to work years ago... Have tried in recent Pro versions and also in the new 2018 Photo Editor.

No, AC does never write into raw files. The day it does I'll stop using AC!
    Last edited by Emil; 09-28-2017, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I'm unused to doing this in batches, but Tools>Batch>Adjust Time Stamp works for me, on Canon .CR2 files from Canon Powershot SX50 HS, in Pro 10, changing EXIF date/time original (sorry, Emil). No sidecars. Could the inconsistency be a function of variation among RAW file formats?

Comment

I just tried the Batch> Adjust time option....

The EXIF data reported by ACDSee did change the "Data/Time original" attribute. ​However, looking at the file properties using Win10, the time in the "Properties>General" tab and the time in the "Properties>Details" tab was not changed.

The operation seems strange, or at lest inconsistent, to me.... but it does support Emil's response.

​Of note, I also exported the file with the changed time to a different format. The Win10 creation date was the same as the original file... although the ACDSee EXIF attribute did show the updated "Date/Time Original" data..

Since the updated information is not in the side-car file, I wonder if we are just seeing the results of what is kept in the ACDSee database?

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Cheasebro View Post
          I'm unused to doing this in batches, but Tools>Batch>Adjust Time Stamp works for me, on Canon .CR2 files from Canon Powershot SX50 HS, in Pro 10, changing EXIF date/time original (sorry, Emil). No sidecars.
          Can't believe it! So I download a CR2 from your camera model and move it into an empty folder. Let's see what I have:
          Code:
          >exiftool -alldates -modifydate -model -g5 "D:\New Folder"
          ======== D:\New Folder\SX50.CR2
          ---- TIFF-IFD0 ----
          Camera Model Name               : Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
          Modify Date                     : 2014:10:21 01:55:52
          ---- TIFF-IFD0-ExifIFD ----
          Date/Time Original              : 2014:10:21 01:55:52
          Create Date                     : 2014:10:21 01:55:52
              1 directories scanned
              1 image files read
          OK all dates are from 2014. Next I run AC, start "Tools>Batch>Adjust Time Stamp" (CTRL-T) and set all EXIF dates to current date and time.

Let's see what has been done by AC:
          Code:
          >exiftool -alldates -modifydate -model -g5 "D:\New Folder"
          ======== D:\New Folder\SX50.CR2
          ---- TIFF-IFD0 ----
          ---- TIFF-IFD0-ExifIFD ----
          Date/Time Original              : 2014:10:21 01:55:52
          Create Date                     : 2014:10:21 01:55:52
          ======== D:\New Folder\SX50.xmp
          ---- XMP ----
          Modify Date                     : 2017:09:28 21:07:04
          Modify Date                     : 2017:09:28 21:07:04
          Create Date                     : 2017:09:28 21:07:04
          Date/Time Original              : 2017:09:28 21:07:04
              1 directories scanned
              2 image files read
          Everything as expected. The CR2 remains untouched and a XMP side car has been written with the current date and time.

That's precisely how I prefer it and here's why:

1. Speed: Updating a rather small XMP file is significantly faster than updating a huge CR2.
          2. Size: Copying a small XMP file instead of the altered large CR2 into backups needs less space.
          3. Flexibility: Hard links to the same CR2 plus different XMPs for the meta data allow me to have multiple developed version for the same raw file w/o copies of the raw file. This also saves lots of disk space.
          4. Safety: Never write to the original CR2 gives a extra portion of reliability.

However, if you really need to copy the dates from the XMP into the CR2 files I suggest to use this:
          Code:
          >exiftool -tagsfromfile  %d%f.XMP -alldates -ext CR2 "MyFolder"
          Last edited by Emil; 09-28-2017, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Hi drdoak,

As RAW file is to be treated as read-only format, ACDSee will write any updates, e.g. metadata or image developing parameters, to sidecar XMP file instead of the native RAW file.

Hope this helps.

James - Customer Care

Comment

+1 for Emil's reasons, I like that logic. I like the operation for the same reasons stated.

James, Thanks for the confirmation. But there is a part that still seems strange.
              If the data is not changed in the image file EXIF, why does ACDSee report the new date in the EXIF area of the properties tab.

​Minimally, this is a bit misleading.

From a more exacting point of view, it is wrong to display the changed date in the EXIF data area of the properties tab as it is really NOT changed in the file as is implied. It would make more sense to put a ACDSee virtual date" in the ACDSee Metadata. ​Oddly, Changing the date values in the EXIF date fields does not change the values in the ACDSee Metadata field called "Database date". So confusing!

​It seems to me, it is worth going back and thinking through the logic in what is being displayed.

Comment

Working...
              X