How to import list of keywords

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to import list of keywords

I have a long list of keywords created in Photo Mechanic that I want to import into ACDSee Pro 2018. Can't find a way to do that and don't want to type many hundreds of keywords in ACDSee. I have the list in a text file, is there any way to get that info into ACDSee either in IPTC keywords or ACDSee keywords?

Very simple :-) Make sure the keywords are separated by commas, then cut and paste them to a dummy item. Ac will then add them all to it's master keyword list.
    Be aware that AC keeps two separated lists, one for AC-keywords and a second for IPTC-keywords.

Comment

Emil, do you mean I can add hundreds of keywords to a single dummy image file then have ACDSee read the metadata from the dummy file and all of those keywords will added to the ACDSee keyword list? If so that is great! I can then use a preset to copy all of the ACDSee keywords from the dummy file to IPTC keywords in the dummy file and I am set? I use the ACDSee keywords in ACDSee but need the IPTC keywords in the image files as well so I can see my keywords in other software mostly Photo Mechanic.

Comment

Originally posted by William R Wood View Post
        Emil, do you mean I can add hundreds of keywords to a single dummy image file then have ACDSee read the metadata from the dummy file and all of those keywords will added to the ACDSee keyword list?
        Yepp, but don't forget to delete the dummy when done.

I can then use a preset to copy all of the ACDSee keywords from the dummy file to IPTC keywords in the dummy file and I am set?
        Or apply the long list to the iptc keywords too.

If so that is great!
        Yes and no! AC does not use any kind of a controlled vocabulary, it's easy to add ton's of typos to the master keywords list and there's no easy way to get rid of them. :-(

Comment

To add to this, if you need to add hierarchical keywords en masse, you can do what Emil referenced above, but the keywords MUST be in a specific order to maintain the hierarchy. With ACDSee Ultimate 2019, for example: If i want to add a hierarchical keyword of Events -> Holidays -> Birthday, you MUST have it written out like this: Birthday<Holidays<Events. This would then create a top level keyword (if it doesnt already exist) of EVENTS, followed by a sub-keyword called "Holidays" (again, if it doesnt already exist), and finally a sub-sub-keyword of "Birthday". Just remember to comma separate everything and it worked for me (see below for example):

Birthday<Holidays<Events,
          Anniversary<Holidays<Events,
          Volleyball<Sports<Events,

Using the reverse order with the "<" is the only way i got it to work. Using normal order, like: Events>Holidays>Birthday OR Events|Holidays|Birthday does NOT work. it will create a single keyword with the entire string. Not sure if this is intended behavior, as the online documentation mentions that you can use <, >, or | for hierarchical keywords, but i could only get "<" to work.

hope this helps someone!

Comment

Jepp, another weird feature, You can't type strings with ">" and "|" but you can paste them.

Comment

This ACDSee keywording is driving me nuts. Turned out I could not use my keyword text file created by Photomechanic to create a dummy file for AC to import. It would take too long to format it in a way AC could use it. So I ended up typing my keywords in AC hierarchical format into the program manually, took me 3-4 weeks. I also wrote to AC support trying to convince them their backwards, incompatible, non standard way of handling keywords is crazy and the incompatibility is frustrating customers and keeping some folks from using the program. They were polite but ignored my requests.

My first big gripe is that AC hierarchical keywords only display the last word in the string in Properties. So if my keyword string is "Vehicles|2013 Jeep Project|Part Sales|Tail Lights" the only thing I see in Properties when I click on the image is "Tail Lights". If I am reviewing the image months or years after the fact, which is typical because I use my images as a diary, I can't remember what the rest of the keyword string is and I want to see the full string in Properties so I don't have to hunt up the full keyword in the keyword list. Why do they only display only the last word of a hierarchical string in Properties? Seems wacky to me. And it is especially odd since ACDSee writes the full string to the XMP section of metadata which I can see using Exiftool!

My second big gripe is related. After I wrote out all the hierarchical keywords and applied them to my images, I tried to copy them to IPTC. That does not work because ACDSee only copies the last word in the hierarchical string!! So all I see in IPTC is "Tail Lights" instead of the full string. And even though the full string is in fact written into XMP, ACDSee only copies the last word from XMP to IPTC. Wacky!! Therefore there is no way I can get my full hierarchical keyword string into IPTC without manually typing them into IPTC which will take 3-4 more weeks of tedious work. I need the full string in IPTC so other software can see my keywords. No other software I use can read ACDSee keywords since they are written to a proprietary section of XMP instead of a generic section that other programs such as Photomechanic can read.

My third big gripe is the mindboggling backwards, nonstandard way ACDSee wants use to write hierarchical keywords (Birthday<Holidays<Events instead of Events|Holidays|Birthday)! Nobody in the known universe writes keywords backwards like ACDSee. And why can't we use the industry standard pipe symbol "|" to separate hierarchical keywords? And I note that ACDSee writes hierarchical keywords to XPM in the exact format I have requested: "Events|Holidays|Birthdays". Yes, they are not backwards and they have the pipe symbol. The current setup is very frustrating and will probably force me to simply stop using ACDSee which is unfortunate since it does have many good points.

If anybody else shares my frustration maybe you could chime in. Maybe a few protests will generate some changes for the better.

Comment

In Version 10 (and 9 maybe), there was a "bug" that would write out all keywords in the hierarchy from the ACDSee hierarchical keywords to the IPTC keywords. In 2018/2019, that "bug" is fixed and is only writing the last keyword in the hierarchy. I would LOVE a choice to do either or. Additionally, i would love a choice to actually write the hierarchy (with pipe characters) to the IPTC keywords.

I trialed several DAMs over the last few weeks (Daminion standalone, iMatch 2018, Photo Supreme, Photo Mechanic (not a DAM, perse)), and the one i liked the most was iMatch due to the amount of customization and the way the keyword workflow worked. But, i love acdsee as it is an all-in-one, and for my hobbyist intentions, i do not want to have to use multiple softwares to do DAM, non-destructive edits, layering, etc...

Adding to the list of frustrations in ACDSee...quick keywords and quick categories. Why oh why, can you not drag and drop existing keywords/categories into these boxes?! Why am i forced to re-type hierarchical keywords/categories into the quick editor boxes?

also, i would love for ACDSee to implement synonyms into their keyword functionality.

I would love for ACDSee devs to refocus a bit of time ont he DAM aspect of ACDSee. As of now, it is very decent at DAM work, but is starting to lag behind a bit (no synonyms, no support for IPTC extension fields (2008-2014), facial recognition in 2019 does not get written to xmp, etc).

Comment

Working...
                X