Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embedding Metadata questions...

Using Pro 7...

Can someone clarify the benefits of "embedding metadata"? I'm not sure I'm using these terms correctly, so please bear with me. I have created an assignem many labels in my "Catalog". A screenshot example is attached below. After going through a new batch of photos and assiging these catalog labels, I select all the photos and embed the metadata. My understanding is that by embedding the metadata, I can some day access one of these photos, even if it's outside of ACDsee, and find those labels listed within the file info. For example, if I've assigned the catalog label "New York" to a photo within ACDSee, if I one day pull up that photo outside of ACDSee, that photo data will contain "New York" within one of the files data fields.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Also, what is the purpose of the Database sub-tool "Catalog Files"? If I've already assigned Catalog labels to photos and embedded the metadata to those photos, what does "Catalog Files" do?

I hope this is all clear. I've been using ACDSee for many years to tag and easily locate photos when necessary, but I'm just starting to pay closer attention to preserving all of these database information and many of the terms and functions are confusing to me.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Here's a sample of my Catalog items, which I assume are now a permanent part of each photo file per the embedding process.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalog shot.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	46876

"Embedding" means copying proprietary AC metadata in to the files themselves (e.g. jpg) or into the matching sidecar files (e.g. xmp for all types of raw).

The proprietary AC metadata covers Caption, Author, Notes, AC-Keywords, Label plus a few more.

The proprietary AC metadata primarily is kept in the database, but since a couple of versions AC allows to copy ("embed") this metadata into the image files too. This additional metadata can only by read by AC or some nerd tools like exiftool. To read the proprietary AC metadata into a database of another installation of AC you MUST catalogue the files. Just browsing the files will not do this.

IPTC metadata always is copied into the files as soon as you click the "Apply" button or type the return key in the properties pane.

I still wonder why it's not possible to embed AC metadata on the fly like with IPTC metadata and have it read again automatically, not even optional. Some say that this is for clarity to avoid fouling a database with metadata from foreign sources. (e.g. it's very hard to get rid of unwanted AC keywords.) But I don't follow: How often do you receive and manage image files with embedded AC meta data from other users of AC?

With tools like exiftool you can build bridges and feed the proprietary AC meta data into other programs. I once wrote a script myself to rebuild the AC categories in LR.

Comment

ctychick -- Your question: Can someone clarify the benefits of "embedding metadata"? Simple answer: So you can sync images between multiple PC's and have all your metadata stored inside the images themselves. Emil's response above, is exactly correct. Embedding is also an invaluable tool for migrating to new computers. You never have to 'convert' your database if you embed.

Emil -- Good suggestion about "auto-embedding". This has been on my To Do list for years, and I had forgotten about it. I'm going to bring it up again today. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by LV_Bill View Post
        [USER="107"]Emil's response above, is exactly correct.
        Thanx a lot LV_Bill :-)

Embedding is also an invaluable tool for migrating to new computers.
        Jep!!

You never have to 'convert' your database if you embed.
        I'm sorry, but I have to say no here. There's other metadata that can not be embedded, like the "Event Descriptions", editable in the calendar pane, and the sorting of folders. Embedding only covers meta data of the catalogued files. [Hey Dev team: Why can't we search for event descriptions?]

To be true, you can also embed (write a XMP file) for folders (This time: not their content!). [Hey Dev team: Why don't you export the sorting to this one?]

-- Good suggestion about "auto-embedding". This has been on my To Do list for years, and I had forgotten about it. I'm going to bring it up again today. Thanks for the reminder.
        I'm pretty sure they had good reasons not to implement this - I'd love to know them.

Comment

Working...
        X