Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the bath rename template not come up with the (existing) extension as .jpg?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the bath rename template not come up with the (existing) extension as .jpg?

When I batch rename a number of files, I always wonder why the renaming template explicitely FORCES me to add the EXISTING extension to the file.
    If I forget that, the whole renaming attempt is useless: I get a warning that files without extensions go lost, so I have to rename again INCLUDING THE ADDITION OF THE EXISTING EXTENSION.

Can't this be automated?
    In most cases the existing extension will remain unchanged, right?
    Then why not just KEEP the existing extension?

Thanks.
    Wim
    Last edited by wimyogya; 12-07-2018, 11:41 AM.

Hi wimyogya,

I experimented with Batch Rename, but I was unable to reproduce this issue. Although the rename template did not include a file extension, the rename proceeded normally, and the file extensions were still present in the renamed files.

What operating system are you running? And do you have Windows Explorer set to show file name extensions?

Thanks,
    Tristan H.
    ACD Systems

Comment

Hello Tristan
      (your second reply - thanks for your dedication and attention)

I used Windows 7 and just migrated to Windows 10.
      Even in older versions of ACDSee I always wondered why the existing file name extension was never automatically added upon renaming.
      If I FORGET to add it - which happens quite frequently - an error message pops up after I click enter to start remaining. Something like 'Since the extension was changed you can lose information'. If I click rename nothing happens. I can only go back to the renaming template and fill it in completely - now including the .jpg extension.

I have ALWAYS used Windows with the file extensions being displayed.

Do I miss any ACDSee setting that 'corrects' my mistake?

Thanks,
      Wim

Comment

Hi Wim,

Unfortunately I am still unable to reproduce this issue. As far as I can tell, all my relevant settings are the same as yours (on a Windows 10 machine).

If the issue still occurs on Windows 10, I recommend that you contact customer support. They can provide more advanced one-on-one troubleshooting than I can, and should hopefully be able to find the cause of this issue.

Thanks,
        Tristan H.
        ACD Systems

Comment

Working...
        X