Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDSee Pro 7 - Location of Database

Hi,
    I have just upgraded to version 7, from version 6, and when I come to set up the options I have discovered that unlike previous versions I am unable to store my database anywhere else but in my AppData\Local\Catalogs\70Pro\Default.dbin, previous versions gave me the option to store it where I wanted to.
    I cannot understand why you have removed this option, and would certainly like you to put it back.

I am sure that you are aware that a lot of us now have our C:/ drive with Windows and our programmes installed on an SDD which allows it to run faster, but normally is small in size (due to the cost and the fact that a lot of us like to keep our data separate from the Operating System anyway.
    You however have now removed the capability to store a large file (my database) any other place but on my SDD.
    Could you please return the option in the "Options" tag under database file to allow us to store the database where we want to store it (on another drive and not in AppData\Local\Catalogs\70Pro\Default.dbin).

Yours Hopefully
    David

With the new multiple database feature in 7, you first have to go to: File-->Database-->New and create a new database.

Then you can set ACDsee to a database other than the default on C:\.

Comment

same problem and please read carefully as I am not use to posting tech stuff.

The BIG problem, there is no BUTTON [ie Interface] nor any way [ie paste] to change the path of the database. Tools>Options>Database. The path of the default is locked.

Please help as 7.0 is worthless to me if it can't get to my database.

JoDe Lawrence
      mailto:jode7@bellsouth.net

Comment

Try this.

On the menu bar click on File, then click on Database, then click on new.....

In the resulting dialog box enter a name for your new database and also enter directly a location for it or browse to the location where you want it stored. Now you'll have an empty database and you'll be asked if you want to switch to it. Once you've switched to it you'll need to populate it by converting your old DB from v6 or importing from v7.

Comment

• JoDe
          JoDe commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you . . . . finally got to my old database but for the life of me; I will start reading here, I can't find an option to show icons ie 'category' on thumbnails. I've checked evey option that said category and nada. I need to be sure certain pictures have already been categorized.

JoDe,

Bring up the help system in ACDsee and search for "Overlay Icon" and you should be able to work out what you need. I'd suggest starting another thread if you need further help with it.

Comment

I appreciate the help from this thread as I was stuck on the database location also. Now after I have moved the database location I found it wasn't where I actually wanted it so I closed the program and moved all of the database files to the a different folder which I realized after I did that it wasn't the correct method. . Now ACDsee won't open and gives the following error message. Is there a switch when starting ACDsee to make it start if the set database is not available?

This is the message I get:
          ACDsee is unable to connect to the database and will now close.

Please make sure the following database is accessible from this computer and then restart ACDsee. And it lists the location that no longer exists.

I tried removing and reinstalling the program to no avail. I tried moving the folder back where it was originally but still same error.

Comment

• Glen Barrington
            Glen Barrington commented
            Editing a comment
            You need to open a service request from ACDSee support. I suspect you have inadvertently set something in the Windows Registry that isn't automatically cleared in a normal uninstall.

My database is also in external disk and I don't undestand why ACDSee upgrading is always so difficult. I have same database issue and i have to use my time for extra adjusting again. I'm boring to do that. I need trustly and continuity, not harm after every upgrade!

Comment

1. First principle of computer use: always back up your data!

2. First principle of ACDSee: Repeat #1.

I back up everything to a second external drive daily. Before upgrading ACDSee, I make another, independent copy of the database. I then optimize the database to make the conversion easier, and back it up again. Only then do I run the upgrade.

It certainly would be helpful if the programmers understood the importance of supporting external drives. Not finding the designated drive isn't cause to crash or terminate or abandon the missing data, but just to calmly ask the user where it went and when it will be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Cheasebro View Post
              1. First principle of computer use: always back up your data!

2. First principle of ACDSee: Repeat #1.

I back up everything to a second external drive daily. Before upgrading ACDSee, I make another, independent copy of the database. I then optimize the database to make the conversion easier, and back it up again. Only then do I run the upgrade.

It certainly would be helpful if the programmers understood the importance of supporting external drives. Not finding the designated drive isn't cause to crash or terminate or abandon the missing data, but just to calmly ask the user where it went and when it will be back.

1. Done
              2. Done
              3. #4 Don't still work for me

My work is not danger. I'm bored and i have no time practice with every version. I suppose that if i pay, they do something for that money.
              IF ACDSee dev. want to ,make something change IT MUST NOT BE SUFFER WITH CUSTOMERS. We are not test group for them.
              I have to think change my Pictures program because i can't trust ACDSeee devolopment anymore!!! It is big job for me and need some money too!
              Who will be pay those cost?
              ACDSee ...Where is my Database and where is my online state?

Comment

Working...
              X