Statement from ACD Systems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the heads up, Mark.

For us it is of paramount importance to open older Canvas for Mac files (including Canvas 3.5.5 and Canvas X) with Canvas Draw (or Canvas Draw Pro if available in the future). Because we have thousands of files created with such applications on Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by kohanmike View Post
      Canvas Draw 3 always keeps the cvx version when saving as cvd.
      I understand that Canvas Draw 3 keeps the original .cvx file when it saves since it now saves a new file as a .cvd. but this is a one at a time conversion..... and verrrrrrry slow and verrrrrrrry time consuming. I was talking about Batch Converting that converts everything files to .cvd and saves the .cvx...... some batch converters delete the original file in the conversion.

Comment

ACD seems to be concerned with compatibility between Mac and Windows. I for one, and with apologies to those who do need that feature, couldn't care less about Windows. I use Macs. Period. I want compatibility between my Macs, young and old. We waited years for a replacement to original Canvas. Is it really too much to ask for backward compatibility? Or is ACD just taking the easy way.

Comment

Originally posted by gbdesign View Post
          ACD seems to be concerned with compatibility between Mac and Windows. I for one, and with apologies to those who do need that feature, couldn't care less about Windows. I use Macs. Period. I want compatibility between my Macs, young and old. We waited years for a replacement to original Canvas. Is it really too much to ask for backward compatibility? Or is ACD just taking the easy way.
          I agree with Backward compatibility but having it also compatible with both platform is very important.

Comment

Now that I understand the data file architecture has been totally changed, I do understand the reason for the file extension switch. I guess I'm just not as bloodthirsy and can accept that.

Perhaps it would have been nice to add a switch in the configuration settings that would give the person a choice of going to UTF. Left flipped off by default, of course.

it's a little bit late now, but thank you for the taking the leap.

Until I get Canvas X 16 GIS and Canvas X 16 upgraded to the newer UTF version, I'm keeping Canvas 2 intact if I need it to work with someone who has a PC

Comment

After feeding various bugs to James at ACD, he let me know that the team has fixed a good number of them. It seems they're being very diligent at improving Canvas so I'm going to ease up and have patience and look forward to the next versions.

Comment

Perspective is important. I've been begging to have a Mac version of Canvas in development for a decade. Now we do ... and it is improving, growing, and being updated. Kudos to the development team for their stellar work and to ACD for listening to a sizable customer base. I will be patient -- even more patient as communication continues in a timely manner. I have learned that people perform better with encouragement than they do under constant criticism. Bug reports are important but most beneficial when distanced from emotional response. There is a time for negative motivation, but from my perspective, it is very premature. I have Canvas Draw 2 for nearly complete compatibility with files I created 15 years ago. (Not many applications can boast that kind of compatibility. InDesign only goes back a few versions for me). And I have Canvas Draw 3 for unicode. I'm mildly inconvenienced at having to use two apps. I know the move between the windows world and OS X is larger. But still ... Kudos guys. I'm on your side ... looks like you are on mine.

Comment

I just wish they could make it run on X.9.x.

Comment

Canvas for Mac also lost the ability to import Corel CDR files while previous Canvas Win had that support. Many folks out there have huge CDR file libraries. Now the whole thing is screwed up with the lack of CDR support on the Mac versions.

Comment

I am adding my name to the posts asking for Canvas Draw 3 (or 4) compatibility with the cvx file format. All of my work is based on the cvx format (which also worked quite well on both my home Macs and the office Windows machines). After installing CD3 I found that the CVX files that I opened and saved to the CVD format could not be opened by Canvas Draw 3. For the time being I switched back to Canvas Draw 2 which does recognize the cvx format.

Comment

Now that I have Canvas X 2017, which can import CVD files, everything is fine. How does one get on the mailing list for Canvas 4 announcements? Seems I'm only getting Windows Canvas notices lately.

Comment

Time to remove this pin.

Comment

Working...
                          X