Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got an email from ACD yesterday -- first one!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got an email from ACD yesterday -- first one!

They were offering me a 75% discount to upgrade to v.3.

Not for me since Canvas Draw runs only on Sierra. I continue happily on X.6.8. Not going to Sierra, not even for Canvas.

Just did a poster and a small brochure in Canvas X. Wonderful app! Bit slow, but hey -- so am I.

Cheers, Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Canvas Draw version 3.0.5 runs on El Capitan ( OS 10.11.5 ) as well...

Peter

Comment

I'm on Yosemite and Canvas 3.0.5 runs good........

Comment

Peter_L and Jan-Arend Blok,

Geoff has indicated that he is running Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8), so the fact that Canvas Draw 3 runs well in OS X 10.10 or OS X 10.11 is irrelevant to him.

Geoff,

I too, loved Canvas X if only for the fact that it was the last version of Canvas to (openly) support Photoshop plug-ins. I used Alien Skin’s Eye Candy with my copy of Canvas X. Not all Photoshop plug-ins were compatible with Canvas, but the library of filters provided in Eye Candy alone were more than enough to greatly enhance the capabilities of Sprite Effects. Now that I have finally been able to get a new Mac, I have purchased Canvas Draw 3, but it has only been two days so I have not used it much just yet.

As ACD wisely opted to rebuild the Mac version of Canvas on a completely new code base, Canvas Draw clearly does not have all of the features that were included in Canvas X and especially the newer Canvas X 17 for Windows, but new features have been added with each new version of Canvas Draw. Some of the new features are brand new, such as Unicode support that even the Windows version of Canvas does not yet have. Unfortunately, some 7 versions since it was officially dropped from the original code base still in use for the Windows version, it seems that Photoshop plug-ins are not coming back. That is extremely unfortunate given that a number of lesser graphics applications have this capability, so hopefully ACD will seriously consider re-instating that capability.

Comment

Originally posted by mdawson69 View Post
          Peter_L and Jan-Arend Blok,

As ACD wisely opted to rebuild the Mac version of Canvas on a completely new code base, Canvas Draw clearly does not have all of the features that were included in Canvas X and especially the newer Canvas X 17 for Windows, but new features have been added with each new version of Canvas Draw. Some of the new features are brand new, such as Unicode support that even the Windows version of Canvas does not yet have. Unfortunately, some 7 versions since it was officially dropped from the original code base still in use for the Windows version, it seems that Photoshop plug-ins are not coming back. That is extremely unfortunate given that a number of lesser graphics applications have this capability, so hopefully ACD will seriously consider re-instating that capability.
          I fear ACD has UNwisely decided to do away with Mac Canvas's excellent image editing capabilities in the interests of selling us an second image editing program from its current line up, thus tearing up one of the HUGE advantages Canvas X has over all its rivals -- total integration.

In addition, while it is all new code, the lads have already done at least one very old fashioned thing -- repeated the Canvas X way of making drop shadows as separate objects. EVERY nothing image editor, along with all the serious ones, have long since offered drop shadows as some sort of integrated thing with the object.

In PhotoLine, the shadows are live with the object -- so drop shadows for type, for instance, change appropriately with editing of the type, and have been for years. Yes, PhotoLine doesn't do a lot of things Canvas does -- although it does a remarkable amount, including generating bar codes! (something Canvas should do) -- but this drop shadows capability is now commonplace and the new Canvas should do it.

But most of all, Canvas MUST be the integrated program with wide, wide capabilities that it was to tempt me to go to the latest Apple pseudo iPhone OS.

Cheers, Geoff

Comment

I said Canvas must be fully integrated as it was to tempt ME. I should have said, to tempt all those prospects out here who are sick of jumping from app to app, all working differently, to do stuff -- and who are sick of Adobe's domination of the market with huge, fat products.

But Adobe has been there for a long, long time while ACD has faltered; to get back into the market in a substantial way, ACD needs to push the envelope, to step outside he Adobe square. It can do that with Canvas if they rebuild and market it with full integration of the wide range of capabilities in Canvas X plus some more up to date bits and pieces AND the capability to accept P'shop compatible plug-ins. The plug-ins are important -- they mean Canvas doesn't have to be capable of doing every little thing and ACD can add capabilities with its own plug-ins which also have a wider market.

Ah well.

Cheers, Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Hen3ry View Post

I fear ACD has UNwisely decided to do away with Mac Canvas's excellent image editing capabilities in the interests of selling us an second image editing program from its current line up, thus tearing up one of the HUGE advantages Canvas X has over all its rivals -- total integration.
              While the naming implies that CanvasDraw is primarily an illustration application and, if I recall correctly, very early releases of CanvasDraw were very feature-weak, I have not seen anything about CanvasDraw 3 that would indicate the need for a second program to perform image editing. CanvasDraw does offer full integration of vector object, image, and text editing. While CanvasDraw clearly does not have feature parity with Canvas X 17 on Windows and may not have all of the features that were included in the dual-platform Canvas X when it was introduced nearly 12 years ago, it is no less a fully-integrated graphic design application than any version of Canvas has been since about version 3 (1990).

As I stated in my original post, the Mac team at ACD Systems is rebuilding the Mac version from scratch and they are adding new features with every release. Restarting from the Canvas X base code after being dead on the Mac for several versions, was not the way to go. Eventually CanvasDraw should catch up to Canvas for Windows, if not surpass it, as the Windows version is built upon the roughly 20 year-old code base and has all the legacy issues that come along with that. Also consider that unlike Windows, there were dramatic changes on the Mac side in those two decades. Canvas 8 and subsequent Mac versions were Carbonized to run in OS X when Apple transitioned from the Classic Mac OS and then ACD dropped Mac support when Apple transitioned to Intel processors in 2006; thus a total rewrite was pretty much unavoidable and perhaps the reason ACD unwisely abandoned the primary user base in the graphic design market at that time.

It will take time for CanvasDraw to completely catch up to Canvas X, which had 20 years of development behind it, let alone Canvas for Windows, which is another decade plus out from Canvas X. That is simply the reality of software development. Affinity spent four years working on Affinity Designer before version 1 rolled out and that is strictly an illustration application. I have no expectation for CanvasDraw to be where my copy of Canvas X was at this point, but now that I have a new Mac and had to replace Canvas X—and believe me, I had serious reservations knowing that I would have to get CanvasDraw in order to access any of my old work—, but so far it looks like the current version of CanvasDraw will be able to do much of what I need in the short run.

Originally posted by Hen3ry View Post

In addition, while it is all new code, the lads have already done at least one very old fashioned thing -- repeated the Canvas X way of making drop shadows as separate objects. EVERY nothing image editor, along with all the serious ones, have long since offered drop shadows as some sort of integrated thing with the object.
              Agreed, although I again understand why this was done: backward compatibility. What you have pretty much brought up here is all the more reason to bring back Photoshop plug-in support. The shadow filter in Eye Candy not only did what you want as a SpriteEffect, and was far more customizable than the Canvas shadow feature as the latter only produces drop shadows. Canvas has added a few additional filters such as Emboss and Bevel some time ago, but again, they are not as feature-rich as the Eye Candy versions.

So, I hear you and pretty much agree with you, but I also realize that unless you want something that is going to crash every five minutes, CanvasDraw will likely be playing catch up for a few more years as bugs are worked out and features are added.

Comment

After holding off for a very long time, I finally moved to Canvas Draw when v2 came out. Yes, there are definite bumps on the road, but each update and upgrade gets better and better. I also needed to go to El Capitan so I could keep up with FileMaker Pro, and I don't really care that icons have changed appearance. My only gripe is Apple has been hiding more and more operations to the point where you don't even know they exist without someone telling you, that bothers me more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by kohanmike View Post
                  …My only gripe is Apple has been hiding more and more operations to the point where you don't even know they exist without someone telling you, that bothers me more than anything else.
                  The old Windows syndrome.

Comment

Working...
                  X