Auto Trace with Line Art

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Trace with Line Art

I have quite a few jpg and png graphs used in economics. I'd like to convert them to paths. Attached is one example. I've been fiddling with auto trace, but the results have been, um, discouraging. I hope folks here can give me a few tips to improve my workflow.

Thanks,
    Tony Lima

PS Please be gentle. This is my first post here.

Hi Tony,
    You' ll have better results by simply using the drawing tools ( line, arc, ... ) etc.
    Auto trace is useful for complicated drawings or photographs...

Peter

Comment

2nd what Peter says. After trying the trace tool a few times for more complex images that doesn't come out very well, yours is so basic just trace it with the vector tools.

Comment

You could of course give Super Vectorizer a try first and if you get the hang of it import them back in and if needed ungroup.

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/51...per-vectorizer

Comment

Many thanks for all responses. Unfortunately some of the lines are not straight. I'll give Super Vectorizer a quick try. Will report back on its success/failure. (And, yes, I am quite familiar with grouping and compound paths. You really don't want to know any more.)

Best,
          T

Comment

You know something? Super Vectorizer did the trick. I owe you folks a big one.

Comment

Tony: if a line is not straight, click a control point and select “add handle" and you' ll have a bezier curve.
              Add more control points to get more complex lines etc. You' ll love it

Click image for larger version

Name:	add Handle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	40969

Comment

Originally posted by tonylima View Post
                Unfortunately some of the lines are not straight.
                It seems you might not know about the bezier tool, it allows you complete control over curved vectors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canvas bezier tool.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	40975

Comment

You're welcome Tony. It's a one trick pony but good value for money and a nice tool to have on the shelf. I think I'm quite alright with manual tracing, but nowadays I'll give SV a go first and after fiddling with the settings that's usually where the buck stops.

Comment

Working...
                  X