Canvas disappearing image bug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canvas disappearing image bug

Was using the crop tool on an image (greyscale, 300 dpi), and the image just disappeared. No revert possible, although the program would happily revert all steps leading up to the disappearance. ACD, this is one of those killer bugs - the kind that makes a user simply abandon the program. And its old! I remember having the same problem several versions ago. Why no fix yet?

Yes, been having the same problem. Albert said when they are close to releasing v4, they will have a list of all fixes and what still has to be done.

Comment

If albert has a list of bugs and workarounds, why dont they release it?

Comment

I assume they are in the process of making fixes, so only when they're ready to release would a list be accurate.

Comment

Here is what I ran into in trying to reproduce the disappearing image.

Scenario one:

Imported an image, in this case a 300 dpi RGB image I got from the web
          I selected the crop tool and clicked inside the image to activate hard crop
          I then resized the area to be cropped
          I then clicked inside the area with the crop tool to confirm the crop
          I then chose undo
          Finally I hit the escape key
          At this point the image disappeared. Well based on the status bar it is somewhere in negative space.

Scenario two:

Imported the same image as stated above
          I moved the mouse outside the image and clicked on the document to cancel the operation
          The image disappeared

Let me know if any of these scenarios ring a bell. If not please post your set of steps to make sure we cover all scenarios when fixing this issue.

Comment

the second one was closer to the operation I did.
            Last edited by balthazar deep; 05-04-2017, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I just tried variations of the two procedures with two images and both disappeared. Undo did nothing, but a select-all showed two handles in the upper left corner of the document and the bar at the bottom said two objects were selected. The properties-bar resolution was correct for the two images and, using that to change the resolution brought the images back at the new resolution. I quite experimenting at that point!

Comment

Originally posted by ajimenez View Post
                Here is what I ran into in trying to reproduce the disappearing image.

Scenario one:

Imported an image, in this case a 300 dpi RGB image I got from the web
                I then resized the area to be cropped
                I then clicked inside the area with the crop tool to confirm the crop
                I then chose undo
                Finally I hit the escape key
                At this point the image disappeared. Well based on the status bar it is somewhere in negative space.

Scenario two:

Imported the same image as stated above
                I moved the mouse outside the image and clicked on the document to cancel the operation
                The image disappeared

Let me know if any of these scenarios ring a bell. If not please post your set of steps to make sure we cover all scenarios when fixing this issue.
                The second happens to me.

Comment

Ugh. I have to retain a copy of each imported image in documents now, in case they just disappear..

Comment

I always keep a backup copy of images, for any "just in case" reason.

Comment

Of course, but now I have to keep backups within the document, representing any modifications to the image I made just before cropping it.

Comment

I see what you mean. I actually do that until I know for sure I don't need the duplicate anymore.

Comment

Still happening to me. Canvas Draw 3, 3.0.5 build 274. About time we had some n ew builds....

Comment

Canvas Draw 3, 3.0.5 build 274 (and earlier, and even Canvas X) and Mac OSX 10.12.4 (latest) - I see this occasionally when using SpriteEffects on images. SpriteEffects is really useful, but has a number of unpleasant quirks (Using an image channel mask with SpriteEffects often given a bizarre thick black mask border; edges of images get fuzzy; parts of images can disappear, and no stepping back; etc). However, when an image totally disappears, its still somewhere - for example, if there are relatively few objects, you can check its counted in the total using select all. Sometimes zooming out shows a tiny object at the top-left corner of the page - this might be the image with a dpi of some impossibly large number - off the top of my head, its like the largest 32-bit signed integer 2147483647. I can't say this is what happens every time, but when I have taken the trouble to look, I have seen this. And stepping back with Undo (ctrl Z) doesn't recover it - one has to close the file and go back to the last saved version. This looks to me like a Canvas X problem that remains in Canvas Draw - the image location and dpi are being corrupted to 0,0 and 2147483647 dpi. It would be really helpful to have some of these long long long standing bugs fixed.

Comment

Hello jxc100;

We would love to reproduce and fix the issue or issues you mentioned. Unfortunately QA is not the most artistic bunch so a little help is needed.

Could you please tell us, in steps, how you get bizarre thick black mask borders when using SpriteEffects on Images with channel masks?

How do you get the parts of images to disappear?

So just give us an example of how you created the image with the channel mask, which spriteEffect you applied, etc. Do not leave out information such as the image's dpi or type (RGB, CMYK, etc.) Which settings were given to the SpriteEffects. I think you get my point.

Any little deviation from your steps could render the bug not reproducible.

Comment

Working...
                              X