Canvas Draw 4 is out!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canvas Draw 4 is out!

I managed to download it from the My Plan page on ACD, but haven't figured out how to get a serial number yet. Only got the promo email until now. Will work it out later though.

Well, registering went from within the program. Because of the software assurance plan it registers as a membership. Not really what I expected, cuz to me that means that now I'm renting instead of owning the thing.

Comment

Received the email notice to upgrade for $79, but since I had already signed up for the assurance program, I logged into my ACD account where I was able to navigate to download a copy of Canvas Draw 4 and install it. They were true to their word, announced that it will be released this summer, and it came out the first day of summer, thank you.

I'm on El Capitan, did not upgrade to Sierra because Albert mentioned it will not allow hiding the Tool Bar, so I've held off. Going to research that.

My first test was to see if hiding the tool bar and copy text using the keyboard command inside of a text object now worked and it does. Hurrah!

Next test is to see if v4 slows down when the Tool Tips preference is on, and if I leave Canvas open a long time. Oh, and if I leave the Properties Bar open all the time.

Hey, hey HEY!!! Canvas will now scan directly into a document! I launched Canvas Draw and unchecked Show at startup, quit Canvas and launched again to see a window with my iPhone and my scanner listed. I clicked the iPhone and my photo library showed. I clicked the scanner and my scanner window came up. WOW! But, with a document open, I don't see where to choose that on the menus, it seems you have to quit Canvas and relaunch to get that window to show.
      Last edited by kohanmike; 06-23-2017, 06:45 AM.

Comment

I tried to upgrade 1 copy for $79, but it seems that I am forced to purchase the 1 Year Software Assurance for $49 per year. There is no information from ACD that they are starting a rental program. I hope that this is just a bug in the web site. More likely they have snuck in a rental agreement. Anyone else seeing this?

Comment

My understanding of the license agreements that we OK when we launch a new application is that we never own the application, we license it for our use from the owner whether it's online or on our computer. I've actually never seen the word rent anywhere. I have never used or owned Adobe apps like Photoshop etc. so I don't have any experience with their system.

Comment

I'm not quibbling with the terms ownership or rental. My problem is that ACD appears to be charging $49 per year for the use of the program in addition to any upgrade charge. This is very Adobe-like.

Comment

I didn't pay an upgrade charge, only the $49 a couple of moths ago, nothing just now when I downloaded Canvas Draw 4.

Comment

Mike, it seems you got a bargain. I'm being charged $79 for the upgrade plus $49 per year. Anyone else seeing this? This is not trivial for me since I own about 10 copies of Canvas Draw so an additional charge of $490 per year is something to consider.
                Last edited by foxp; 06-23-2017, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Hi Mike, Cameras and Scanners can be opened in two ways.

1: Launch Canvas, open a new document. Connect your iPhone/iPad to the computer and it should open the palette automatically.
                  2: Choose it from under the Windows | Palettes menu.

Comment

Originally posted by kohanmike View Post
                    My understanding of the license agreements that we OK when we launch a new application is that we never own the application, we license it for our use from the owner whether it's online or on our computer. I've actually never seen the word rent anywhere. I have never used or owned Adobe apps like Photoshop etc. so I don't have any experience with their system.
                    Correct. From the outset of software sales, “buying” software has never been a transfer of ownership as it is with the hardware in your system. In the past when software was distributed on physical media, the installation process included a confirmation of the acceptance of the terms of licensing; prior to installers becoming the norm, there was usually a statement in the installation instructions—either a hardcopy or Read Me file—that indicated that choosing to install the software on your computer constituted an agreement to the license.

The renting people seem to be referring to is the subscription model that far too many software companies have been adopting over the years. In some more draconian cases, an expired software subscription can result in the user being locked out of the software once a predetermined license period has expired. That model may be fine for businesses (sometimes) where big ticket software adopted this model in place of dongles, particularly for client server software, but it can be burdensome to individual users particularly those of us that are old enough to be accustomed to decades of buying standalone copies of our software that worked for as long as we needed it. For instance, I was unable to replace my PowerMac G5 (2005) until late last year due to other financial obligations. If ACD had a subscription model back then like many companies do now, I would have very likely lost the ability to use Canvas not long after the Intel transition in 2006. In fact, given that Mac support was dropped due to the Intel transition, all Mac users would have lost the ability to run Canvas under such a subscription model.

Comment

Never mind my previous comments about the 1 Year Software Assurance program for $49 per year. I was trying to remove it by changing the number of copies to 0. That didn't work so I thought I was forced to buy it. I didn't notice the trash can on the right that can remove the item. I have now upgraded for $79 without the Assurance program charge. All is well. Sorry for any worry I caused.

Comment

Originally posted by ajimenez View Post
                        Hi Mike, Cameras and Scanners can be opened in two ways.

1: Launch Canvas, open a new document. Connect your iPhone/iPad to the computer and it should open the palette automatically.
                        2: Choose it from under the Windows | Palettes menu.
                        Oops, didn't dig deep enough in the menus, great. But I think I discovered a bug; after I import an item from my iPhone photo library, when I click the red close button in the upper left corner, Canvas crashes. I sent in a report to Apple.

Comment

Hello,

The "1 Year Software Assurance (SA) for Canvas Draw for Mac" is an optional item that can be removed from the shopping cart.

And you can click the trash can next to the price to remove that item.

Hope this helps.

James

Comment

Early reviews and bug reports would be very welcome. I'm trying to decide if the investment is worth it. What major advantages are there (aside from theoretical bug fixes?).

Comment

Originally posted by balthazar deep View Post
                              What major advantages are there (aside from theoretical bug fixes?).
                              In my opinion, the theoretical bug fixes is all I need to know. I mentioned one above about keyboard copy command in a text object, but also the ability to import from an iPhone or a scanner, I love that.

WAIT A MINUTE! I just looked at the Palette choices and there's a Type palette, with a variety of controls that were not available before. This makes me believe that style sheets will soon return.

Comment

Working...
                              X