No announcement yet.

Canvas Draw 4 bug reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As odd as it may seem, I have long used Canvas (X and Draw) to import PDF forms of the type that need to be filled out. I leave the form in one layer and type text in another. Converting to paths preserves the exact appearance of the original form. Substituting fonts works, but almost never yields a perfect duplicate. Of course I like to have the text be editable if I want to use it as text.

Having both possibilities is one of the nice features of Canvas.

Tim

Comment

I actually use Preview to fill in PDF forms, and will also use the built in mark up features if it's not a form format. The only time I import a PDF to Canvas is if I need change the original PDF.
      Last edited by kohanmike; 08-18-2017, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Speaking of PDFs, two requests for future versions:

1. Canvas Draw PDFs automatically come with a white background the same size as the entire page. More often than not, I don't want this background as I am placing the Image into a presentation that usually doesn't have a white background. If we could have the option to turn off the white background in PDFs saved by CD that would be great.

2. Some modern graphics programs on the Mac (e.g., Intaglio) can copy as PDF for pasting into pdf-aware apps like the iWork apps (I use Keynote all the time). That way, you preserve the vector resolution of the original Canvas figure. CD4 only copies as a tiff which granted has okay resolution but is significantly larger and less versatile than copy as PDF.

Right now, if I have a canvas figure that I want to place into Keynote, I have to save a PDF to disk from Canvas, edit the PDF in Intaglio to get rid of the white background (or use the Alpha tool in Keynote), then import the pdf into Keynote (if I am using Intaglio, I can just copy and paste directly from Intaglio to Keynote). So all of this can be done but with some minor tweaks the workflow could be much simplified.

Comment

I assume the newly added Canvas Draw 4 Presentation mode is not up to par with Keynote.

Comment

Originally posted by kohanmike View Post
            I assume the newly added Canvas Draw 4 Presentation mode is not up to par with Keynote.
            I'm sure that the CD4 presentation mode is fine for many people but for a variety of reasons, it is not even close to a replacement for Keynote (or PowerPoint, for that matter). Without even getting into the mechanics of the presentation (and flame wars over transitions and builds), many professional conferences require PPT or Keynote and, for example, if I want to present with my iPad, Keynote and PPT both do a fine job and CD4 would obviously be impossible. Movies and animations work flawlessly in Keynote, are problematical in PPT (on the Mac, at least), and don't appear to work at all in CD4.

Comment

Today I've been having problems with Dynamic Shadows in Sprite Effects; either it doesn't come up at all or it crashes Canvas when attempting something. Dumped the plist file and also reinstalled CD4 but no help.

Comment

Tim, I am not able to reproduce your issue with copying and pasting into an image. Does it always happen? That is, does it happen in a new document with an image you import? If it does, maybe you can provide me with such image or file for me to try. Let me know exactly what I need to copy, etc. Thank you

Comment

Just upgraded to canvas 4. Same window displacement bug as in version 3 found right away (click on the bottom right corner to resize, the window immediately shifts down on the screen so that only the upper window is seen, and is resized to smaller size). Intermittent and can't be reliably reproduced just like before.

Also noticed that green button to maximize is disabled when properties bar is hidden, deliberate to work around the earlier window content displacement bug I suppose?

Have high hopes for this version, seems snappier already.

Comment

Still seeing both the window displacement bug, and the window content shift bug (where the canvas becomes shifted away from the window).
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by balthazar deep View Post
                      Also noticed that green button to maximize is disabled when properties bar is hidden, deliberate to work around the earlier window content displacement bug I suppose?
                      To show the green button when in full screen mode, just slide your mouse to the top edge of the screen, the menu and the three left buttons will appear. Click the green button to take it out of full screen mode.

I can't reproduce the offset problem at all.

Comment

If you like I can email a video of the displacement bug (where the window shifts when you click on the right bottom handle to resize) Mike, I can't post it here. The other bug (feature?) can be easily reproduced: 1) hide the status bar and properties bar) 2) try and maximize window with the green button - nothing happens.

also having problems permanently hiding rulers - new documents always show them again. What does the button (save as default)( in preferences mean, if it doesnt mean "save as default"

canvas needs to realize that on small screens, some people dont like to have to show all this unnessesary garbage, they just want the space to work!

same old canvas! buggy despite the extra 100 bucks I spend on version 4.

Comment

At least I have symbol font back though.

Comment

Yes, there are a some bugs, but I would not call it the "same old Canvas" since so many of the old bugs are gone, and so many of the original features are back. To me it's worth every penny I paid for v4. Have you created a support ticket?I know Albert was on vacation and is slowly catching up.

Do you have the Tool Bar hidden? If so, Albert says that there's a conflict with the OS, so I keep the Tool Bar open and set it to show Text Only and Small Text to keep it as minimal size as it can. Oh, I just remembered, in Sierra you can't hide the Tool Bar.

I still can't reproduce the re-size corner problem with or without the Status Bar showing. I'll PM you with my email address.

Comment

When I say same old buggy canvas, I mean the same obvious bugs are still there in everyday use. These are not obscure features but everyday functions that are buggy. I will email the window bug video, thanks.

The "conflict" that means you can't maximize the window with the green button when tool bar is hidden (Lets call it the "maximize" bug) is just that, a bug. other programs have solved this problem, why not canvas?

I agree some things have been fixed though. I can now adjust resolution of multiple bitmaps through the dialog box. yay. I guess that was worth the 100 bucks.

when is canvas going to make me happy? when I don't see obvious irritation malfunctions literally every time I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by ajimenez View Post
                                Tim, I am not able to reproduce your issue with copying and pasting into an image. Does it always happen? That is, does it happen in a new document with an image you import? If it does, maybe you can provide me with such image or file for me to try. Let me know exactly what I need to copy, etc. Thank you
                                Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. As I posted above, quitting Canvas Draw and restarting it did away with the problem. Easy fix and, since you can't duplicate the effect, I probably couldn't either. I am not at home and not on the computer with Canvas Draw 4, so I can't even experiment.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                                X