No announcement yet.

Canvas Draw 4 bug reports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used the latest update to canvas 4 today. NO BUGS! I will keep my fingers crossed but I can finally recommend canvas to people for professional use.

Comment

Maybe a small bug - or maybe me. I am trying to put the page number on the master page, so all pages show the correct page number. However, when I create a text object, type "p" for page, then use the menu item Text->Insert->Page # -- nothing is inserted. I like to have p2/7 for example - and the second number - Text->Insert->Total Page # - is inserted ok. If I go to a page (not the Master page), then I *can* insert the Page #, but it shows as the same number on all pages, which makes it pretty pointless. I am maybe optimistic, but I thought that the Page # and the Total Page # would be dynamic, one changing according to the page being displayed, the other changing as the total number of pages changes. No?

Comment

First you have to insert a header or footer before you insert the page number.

Comment

Doh! Who knew? But that works fine and as expected. (Still, why restrict it to a header, why not the whole Master Page? Its a bit hidden like this. Next you will be telling me to read the manual! Wait, there's a manual?)

Comment

Once you place the header or footer, you can move it anywhere on the page. I knew it all from a long time ago, but it had been so long that I forgot until I contacted Albert a few weeks ago and he reminded me. Not to be contrary, but I'm one that does read manuals and instructions... most of the time.
            Last edited by kohanmike; 09-27-2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rwallx

1. Canvas Draw PDFs automatically come with a white background the same size as the entire page. More often than not, I don't want this background as I am placing the Image into a presentation that usually doesn't have a white background. If we could have the option to turn off the white background in PDFs saved by CD that would be great.
              I have recently found myself contending with this issue.

I have been experimenting with updating/modernizing my employer’s logo/corporate signature for fun. Their logo is a classic example of a great concept that was poorly implemented, as the original designer seemed to be more interested in creating something that looked cool without considering some basic rules of good logo design that permit its use in a wide range of applications. Worse, we have a bunch of people with less than zero graphics/design skills using a single JPEG of the company signature that they stretch and distort to no end. Needless to say, in most of its usage, it just looks bad and the fact that JPEG does not support transparency resulting a a permanent white background only makes matters worse.

In my redesign, I save versions of the updated signature in SVG and PDF. As rwallx noted, Canvas Draw saves the PDF version with a white background; in effect, Canvas Draw creates a new layer with a polygon the size of the page with a white fill. I cannot fathom why Canvas Draw would do this by default with no apparent way to suppress the feature, as one would expect the export of vector objects to be just that; that is, transparency in the final file would be a default state because it is a metafile containing a definition of how to render the objects in the illustration/drawing, so the background/white space would have no fill as it is an abstraction and not part of an object.

By default, exporting to PDF should only export the objects on the page and not add a background. An option could be offered to save the entire page, but the object that Canvas Draw creates to represent the page should be transparent by default. Such a feature is good for creating a whitespace boundary, which is ideal for something like a logo/signature. There could be an option to include the page color, and thus, add a fill, but de facto transparency is one of the inherent benefits of vector-based graphics.

If SVG files were as widely supported as they ought to be, then this would be less of an issue, but Microsoft Office does not support importing SVG files.[1] Ironically, excepting Microsoft’s proprietary WMF and EMF formats, which are not cross-platform and suck, the various vector graphic formats that Office once supported are no longer supported, although in the case of SVG files, even a large number of graphics software that should support the format do not.[2] In stark contrast, PDF files are near-universally supported on some level by almost every application in use.

1. According to Microsoft, SVG files are now supported when you import a picture, but this feature is only available for those that have Office 2016, have bought into Microsoft’s Adobe-esque subscription model (Office 365)—it is not supported in the perpetual license—and, is only available for the Windows version of Office 2016.

2. Given that WMF/EMF files are and have forever been internally supported in Office for Mac, I cannot understand why cross-platform graphics applications that support import/export of WMF/EMF do so on Windows but then do not offer that capability in the Mac version of their software short of Microsoft engaging in deliberate sabotage tactics and explicitly not permitting licensees to do so.

Comment

Piggy backing on my previous post, I have confirmed that Canvas X 2017 properly creates a PDF vector file as expected. I opened the Canvas Draw file on my work computer and saved the logo as a PDF file. When I placed the PDF back into a Canvas X document, it was just the vector objects without the page-sized white background as one would expect for a vector file. So this raises the question, why the major flaw in Canvas Draw with regard to creating PDFs.

It seems the same thing occurs with SVG files also. The one other application that I have that supports SVG, GraphicConverter, imports the SVG version of the logo I saved with a white background. Although GraphicConverter converts vector files to bitmaps, it does retain transparency, so this implies that Canvas Draw is placing white backgrounds in all vector files. Aside from resolution-independence, this defeats the purpose of saving a drawing/illustration to a vector format. Interestingly, neither Canvas Draw 4 or Canvas X 2017 can import the SVG files that I created in Canvas.

The weak support for standard vector-based graphics files across nearly every application is sickening; this is not just a Canvas thing and Microsoft, the (forced) standard for document creation, is the worse offender in this area providing little support for anything beyond Microsoft’s poorly implemented, quasi-proprietary EMF/WMF formats. This creates a serious problem for those of us in technical fields that work more with vector-based graphics—e.g., graphs/charts, technical illustrations, diagrams, flowcharts, etc.—than images. Unfortunately, if you look up the matter of vector graphics support on the Web, the general attitude is save it as a JPEG or PNG. The fact that so many people are blissfully ignorant of the difference between a drawing/illustration and an image/digital painting let alone the fact that vector and bitmap files are dramatically different beasts.

Comment

The white background is pretty annoying indeed.
                  The Canvas-generated SVG files open fine in Inkscape, where you can delete the background and resave the file as an SVG or EPS or whatever.
                  Canvas- generated PDF' s can be opened as well, so I often use this to convert vector-files into (vector- ) EPS- files for clients if needed.
                  The Moho animation software opens the Canvas-SVG' s fine as well.

Peter

Comment

I have access to Canvas X 2017 at work so I can get properly generated PDF versions of vector graphics. I can do the same at home, but it would require rebooting from a clone of my work computer when I am not working from home; obviously, this is a hoop I prefer to not have to jump through when I am doing something from home and am not “on the clock”.

I looked into Inkscape, as it is an open source option, but it looks as if Mac support has slipped considerably. The installer on the Website refers to Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) making it about 7 years old. Also, it appears the latest build is not available for the Mac. As I stated earlier, SVG support seems to be inexplicably spotty for just about any given application, even several graphics applications that should matter-of-factly support an open vector graphics format. That stated, I find it weird that Canvas Draw has a flawed implementation of a PDF export while Canvas X behaves as expected given that PDF is the default graphics format for macOS and that they had a basis from which to build the export feature. I am well aware that Canvas Draw is building up from scratch—hence the reason I have little complaint about the ever decreasing list of missing features that Canvas X (2005) had—, but exporting vector graphics to PDF is something that should have been correctly implemented in Canvas Draw 1.0.

Comment

Mmmm... latest updates for Inkscape are from 2017. I guess it supports OS X.7 and up
                      https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.2/

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_L View Post
                        Mmmm... latest updates for Inkscape are from 2017. I guess it supports OS X.7 and up
                        https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.2/
                        Yes, that is the general release page, and as with many open source projects it is none too forthcoming. When I was investigating Inkscape I came across this page on the Inkscape site. Unfortunately, the page is not dated, so it is not possible to discern if the information is current. If you Google “Inkscape Mac Sierra”, there are several links with regards to issues with running Inkscape on Macs with up-to-date versions of macOS. Of course, fixing Canvas draw in this area would make this a non-issue.

Comment

Can we keep this thread on Canvas Draw please, create a separate thread for Inkscape if you wish.

Comment

Has anyone tried using the gradient fill tool in Canvas Draw 4 (4.0.1, build 39)? I want to simply make some rectangles with colour gradients along them, blending from one colour to another. Seems this should be simple, and most other graphics packages will easily do this. In the gradient fill tool, there are a limited number of preset gradients which do work. However I want to customise the colours and gradient direction. If you undock the fill fly-out palette you get more options... there is a button for "Edit" (or "New" if there is no fill selected), which brings up an "Attributes" window and, promisingly has the options to apply and save new customised gradients. However, when I pick a new gradient starting or finishing colour, Canvas CRASHES. Not a hang, it just dies and QUITS TOTALLY. Seems that you can use any of the preset fills (and even Edit/Add preset) but as soon as you change the colour it dies.

Note, I also tried this on Canvas Draw 3, which I still have installed, and it does the same thing.

Dougal.

Comment

I just did a test of Canvas Draw 4.0.1 build 39 on my MacBook Pro 17" with Sierra OS. I drew a rectangle, right clicked the box and from the pop up menu, I went to the bottom and chose Attributes. In the Attributes palette I clicked Edit, changed the Radial direction, clicked the start color popup and changed the color, clicked the finish color marker and pop up and changed that color. I named the gradient Test gradient, clicked Add Preset, then quit Canvas. I opened Canvas to a blank page, drew a rectangle, then picked the gradient I created. All worked fine.
                              Last edited by kohanmike; 01-15-2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks Mike - interesting. I am using High Sierra 10.13.2 on a 2013 iMac 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 with 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.
                                Following your workflow above I can only get as far as selecting the first colour, then all still quits... very annoying.
                                I wonder if the earlier versions of Canvas might be creating an incompatibility?

Comment

Working...
                                X