PDF problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF problems

Overall, I quite like the new pdf capabilities of Canvas Draw, However, there are problems with shadows and arrowheads. Shadows basically are not rendered anything like what they are in the Canvas document, but much lighter to the point of being non-existent. It doesn't matter whether the shadows are dynamic or static same result. The first graphic shows the shadow in CD and on the right the pdf rendered from CD. In the PDF, the shadow is much lighter, offset differently, and has an odd whitish fringe.

For Arrowheads, they look fine in Canvas Draw (left in second graphic), but are not rendered correctly in the PDF that Canvas outputs.

Both of these defects make it impossible for me to use Canvas for professional quality output, especially, of course, the arrowhead issue.
    left: Canvas Draw, right PDF left: Canvas Draw, right: PDF

I export PDF from Canvas Draw for Disney Hall concert programs with all kinds of text, shadows, arrows, graphics and don't have a problem. The printing service commends me all the time for such good quality PDFs. I just did a quick test and it worked fine. The first one is Canvas, the second is the PDF at 300 dpi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zCanvas version.png
Views:	1
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	46263
    Click image for larger version

Name:	zPDF version.png
Views:	1
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	46264
    Last edited by kohanmike; 04-11-2018, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Strange, are you using Save as PDF Advanced or just Save as PDF? My problems are with PDF Advanced. If the former, do you have PDF Transparency turned on or Render Transparency?

I'm pretty sure my problem with the arrowhead is because of the relatively high curvature of the line close to the arrowhead, but still...

Comment

I just tested drop shadows (shadows as an image so I could apply a blur) to see if I could duplicate the problem. Saving as an Advanced PDF did not result in the shadow being lighter, but I first did have the lighter halo. That was with PDF transparency selected in Output. Changing to Render Transparency in Output got rid of the halo effect in the Advanced PDF. The PDF result looks identical (at least on my screen) to the Canvas original.

A test of an arrow with a sharp curve just before the arrowhead gave a poorly aligned arrowhead in the Canvas original. Making an arrowhead on a short, straight line and overlaying that on the curved line gave an arrow that looks perfect in Canvas and in Advanced PDF.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by rwallx View Post
          Strange, are you using Save as PDF Advanced or just Save as PDF? My problems are with PDF Advanced. If the former, do you have PDF Transparency turned on or Render Transparency? I'm pretty sure my problem with the arrowhead is because of the relatively high curvature of the line close to the arrowhead, but still...
          I use standard PDF. I tried Advanced a couple of times, but found I didn't need to, the standard outputs perfectly fine. There is no choice in standard PDF for transparency and such.

I can't reproduce the arrow problem no matter how much I try.
          Last edited by kohanmike; 04-12-2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X