Image Isolation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Isolation

With Canvas 9, I could isolate an image. Can this be done with Canvas DrawClick image for larger version

Name:	Santa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	47713
    Last edited by KD4KO; 11-05-2018, 03:47 PM.

Be more specific, what do you mean, what are you after? Canvas has layers, maybe that will help you. With all these questions about Canvas Draw, I think it would behoove you read the documentation. https://help.canvasgfx.com/en/canvas...user-guide.pdf

(You forgot to add two carriage returns after your sentence.)

With Canvas 9, I could isolate an image. Can this be done with Canvas Draw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1826.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	47716

Comment

This is what I mean. I recreated the clipart picture as an object, so it will no longer confined to a frame.
      With Canvas 9, I could isolate a flower from a picture, and place the flower in the hair of my wife's photo.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 6.28.35 AM.png
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	47720

Comment

As an example, I isolated my wife's picture, and placed it into a beach scene.

Name:	June Isolated.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	47723

Comment

I guess it is too much to expect to do this kind of photo editing with a draw program. Since acdsee no longer has a Mac version of the original Canvas, and I will not use a windows version.
          At least I can still open my old cvx files in Canvas Draw.
          This is another cvx photo with an isolated flower, placed on my late wife's photo.

Name:	June Isolated 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	47727
          Attached Files

Comment

How did you "isolate" the item in Canvas 9? List each step. I know I'm not the most advanced user so I could learn something here.

I always carefully hand outline the part of the image I want using the Paint Polygon Lasso tool, with or without feathering, then copy, escape the image, then paste the item as a separate Paint object, which automatically ads a visibility mask eliminating what you're calling a frame.

Name:	zLasso poly.png
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	47730------------------ Click image for larger version

Name:	zFeathering.png
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	47731

To eliminate the "frame" of any image, click the image, then go to the Image menu and choose Add Visibility Mask, then use the Wand tool and select the white areas around Santa Clause and Delete them.

Name:	zVisibility Mask.png
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	47732 --------- Click image for larger version

Name:	zWand.png
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	47733
            Last edited by kohanmike; 11-06-2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I have nearly always used the polygon drawing tool to select part of a photo I wish to isolate. First, if your photo is only moderate or lower resolution, render it at a higher resolution to avoid jaggies in the selection. In a separate layer, use the polygon tool to trace the outline of what you want to select and copy that polygon to the photo layer. Fill the polygon with any color and under Image go to Path to Selection. That will select the part of the photo you want to isolate. Copy, exit photo edit, and paste your selection. If you don't exit the photo edit, you will just paste the selection back into that photo.

To avoid a white halo around your selection, you can first select Inverse and drop the brightness of that part of the photo as low as possible. Select Inverse again and do the copy and paste.

Why have the polygon in a separate layer? Because I always make mistakes during the whole process and/or want to edit the selection polygon. The copy of the polygon used to select the photo gets used up in the Path to Selection process.

You can also feather and grow and shrink the selections.

Tim

Name:	Selection.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	47736

Comment

Sorry about the large size of the image attached!

Tim

Comment

Name:	David & June, extracted.jpg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	47740 Click image for larger version

Name:	David & June.JPG
Size:	782.1 KB
ID:	47741 Thank you both for your help!
                  It has been so long ago, that I forgot the steps used. I saved both of your explanations for future reference.
                  Here are two more; the original and the fake.

Comment

Working...
                  X