BUG REPORT - A Circle is not a Circle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUG REPORT - A Circle is not a Circle

If you draw a 10 inch Circle and rotate it 45 degrees the height and width show as 9.98037 inches. I have even tried "Path>Convert to Path" to see if this might fix the problem. I have found this in both Canvas 14 (Work) and Canvas Draw 2 (Home). I also rotated 10 inch lines and placed them on the circle to visually confirm that the circle is not a circle.

Do you use the size box to set the 10 inches? Try that and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by kohanmike View Post
      Do you use the size box to set the 10 inches? Try that and see if it makes a difference.
      The problem is that by the vary nature of a circle, everything needs to have the same radius. So rotating the circle 45 degrees and then changing the size does not fix the fact that the circle is not a circle.

Comment

But does the Properties Bar size boxes show a change in the circle size? Maybe it's not the circle that's off, maybe it's each line.

I just did a quick test by drawing a circle using the shift key to restrain it proportional, then went to the Properties bar and set the size to 10 inches with proportional chosen. I then drew a line and set the length to 10 inches. Then I used the Align palette to center both objects to each other, grouped them, zoomed in to see that the tip of the line is exactly on the circle, then went to the menu and chose rotate left 45 degrees. Then checked the sizes in the Properties Bar, which are correct and lined up properly.

I use Canvas Draw on Mac so I wonder if the Windows version has a bug.

Comment

I did this on both a Mac and Windows and I get the exact same results.
          So Draw a 10 Inch circle rotate it 45 degrees and then check the dimensions and you will see the circle is now 9.98 x 9.98.
          The reason I placed 10 inch lines at various angles was to truly show the deformation, that the circle was not in fact a circle. I added 5 pictures below to show the deformation of the circle.

Comment

Just loaded a trial copy of Canvas X 2018 for windows and they have fixed the problem with the circle not being a circle. They also stated in the new things about 2018 that it can "Draw circles with better precision"...... AKA, we fixed the problem

Comment

Aha, pays to upgrade. I've been touting the latest update of Canvas Draw Mac v4, but some people are still using v2. CD4 is far better than any before, little by little they are adding back many features that were missing in earlier versions, as well as fixing bugs.

Comment

I own working copies of 3 and 4 but I have to stay with 2 since the windows computer at work will not read the new file format.
                From looking at 18 on Windows is looks like it can read the new file format, but there are not enough new features to warrant having work pay for an upgrade to 18

Comment

Seems the only way to stay compatible is to upgrade all the way around.

Comment

Working...
                  X