Stuck on how to get 2018 GIS working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck on how to get 2018 GIS working

I've exhausted attempts to get 2018 GIS working.
    I installed the trial version, ran it for a while then found it wouldn't print. It would get past the print setup but once printer was set then nothing.
    Trial ran out and I sent a request for help to ACDSee.
    I had a response which wasn't much help.
    To install the non GIS and try that.
    To me that proved nothing useful as I use GIS and non GIS would be of no use.
    I asked could they simply extend my trial period so we could get to the bottom of this problem.

Does anyone from Canvas staff still browse these sites?
    My Canvas use isn't as long as some here, but its many years and many upgrades.
    I'm a firm supporter of Canvas and am frustrated at this latest problem.

regards
    Richard

Update.
    ACDSee reset my trial. I uninstalled and reinstalled.
    I also deleted any registry entries I could find re 2018.
    All good now.
    Thanks ACDSee.
    Last edited by Richard; 02-20-2018, 12:08 AM.

Richard,
    I feel your pain and frustration. I don't use the Canvas GIS capability although I have it. I just checked and my installation of Canvas 2018 GIS imported a MapInfo tab file pretty well. The only problem was that it has converted mining lease names to circle symbols.
    I tend to use MapInfo with the Discover add-in or QGIS (free!) to do the GIS work and then pretty the result in Canvas. Another alternative is Surfer from Golden Software it has some neat and easy to use GIS tools.

Comment

I use Canvas GIS 2017 and 2018 all the time. If you are a GIS pro, you will probably find the Canvas implementation wanting in functionality: you can do way more in ArcGIS, MapInfo, Global Mapper, or even QGIS. However, if you mostly need to plot georeferenced data, maps, or images that you have received from another source, then Canvas GIS is really useful. We used to go through several steps to bring a map to publication: basic data analysis and rendering in one of those dedicated programs and then import into a vector or raster graphics program to "pretty it up" for publication. Now, for many maps, we just plot the data and pretty it up in Canvas GIS, resulting in a much faster workflow. Image warping is particularly useful for us.

There are some quirks to using Canvas GIS, mostly because it started out as a basic vector and raster graphics program to which GIS was/is an add-on. Nonetheless, it is a great "GIS-Lite" program. Its learning curve is much less steep than a dedicated GIS program.

Comment

Working...
      X