Sooooo slooooow!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sooooo slooooow!

I have been using Photo Studio for Mac 4 on-and-off for a few days now. I am having serious issues with how slow it is at saving RAW files. Even relatively minor tuning changes will take a long time to save. Clicking on the "Done" button displays a dialog "Applying changes to 1 item" and locks up the program until it's finished. I just timed one at 3 minutes and 54 seconds. This is the typical time PER FILE. At this speed it is UNWORKABLE.

This is beyond a joke and I will not even attempt to run a batch of files, which I will need to do occasionally after a work trip. I am dreading that day...

I am processing RAW files from Nikon D850. Running High Sierra. Hardware is iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1 GB - not exactly a slug.

Loading the RAW data only takes a second or two. Hitting "Save as" a jpeg takes 3 min 30 sec too.

Is anyone else having this problem? What can be done to speed things up???

(I just tested an older D800 file - this took 22 sec to save! That I could live with.)

Hi!
    All I can say is the same process takes two or three seconds on PC (Windows 10 64bits; 4.1 Ghz; ram 32 Go, I7 6700K). Of course with a D850 raw file.

Alaric (French)

Comment

Originally posted by dougalt View Post
      I have been using Photo Studio for Mac 4 on-and-off for a few days now. I am having serious issues with how slow it is at saving RAW files. Even relatively minor tuning changes will take a long time to save. Clicking on the "Done" button displays a dialog "Applying changes to 1 item" and locks up the program until it's finished. I just timed one at 3 minutes and 54 seconds. This is the typical time PER FILE. At this speed it is UNWORKABLE.

This is beyond a joke and I will not even attempt to run a batch of files, which I will need to do occasionally after a work trip. I am dreading that day...

I am processing RAW files from Nikon D850. Running High Sierra. Hardware is iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1 GB - not exactly a slug.

Loading the RAW data only takes a second or two. Hitting "Save as" a jpeg takes 3 min 30 sec too.

Is anyone else having this problem? What can be done to speed things up???

(I just tested an older D800 file - this took 22 sec to save! That I could live with.)
      It would be good to know if your problem is related to PL or if it is unique to your system. If you could make one or two of the raw images that are causing this issue available for download, perhaps on dropbox, others could try to reproduce it on their systems and see if it is unique to you or not.

I process Olympus raw images and they do not take long to process, even on a slow system like my Mac Mini.

Comment

I don't have any bright ideas as to what might be wrong but, for the sake of comparison, my own save time for a (D850) RAW is 1.8seconds. This is for a 14bit lossless compressed file at 55MB. Both the raw file, the xmp file and the database itself are on a SSD. I then decided to try the same for a RAW file loaded from a NAS (database still on SSD but RAW and XMP on NAS). The save time was 7sec.

My system is a Dell PC with Windows10. Are you able to ask the same sort of question in an Apple Mac forum? If nobody has an answer they may be able to point you in the direction of some things to do for diagnosing the problem.

P.S. I wouldn't think 22secs is acceptable you must be very patient.

Comment

Working...
        X