No announcement yet.

Picture Icon does not refresh after editing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may have missed one point in one of my earlier messages: I now have started to run some tests WITHOUT using SnapHeal. I still get the "snail" after editing some pictures, including RAW pictures. Here are some of my latest tests:
    1. Opened three pictures (one JPG, one PNG, and one RAW) which have never gone through SnapHeal !!!!
      1. I edited these using ACDSee Photo Studio;
      2. Saved them using a slightly different name;
      3. All three now show up with a "snail" thumbnail" in Photo Studio.
    2. This time used two pictures (one JPG, one PNG) which have never gone through SnapHeal !!!!
      1. Imported them into Photoshop Elements;
      2. Applied minor changes;
      3. Saved them using a slightly different name;
      4. Both show up with a "snail" thumbnail in Photo Studio.
    3. Back in Photo Studio:
      1. ​I opened a Raw picture (again one which has never gone through SnapHeal !!!!)
      2. It shows up with a "snail" thumbnail without ever applying any edits!!
      3. Saved it as a TIFF image.
      4. Both the TIFF image and the original RAW image now show up with a "snail" thumbnail.
    In short, something has gone terribly wrong with one of the latest updates (either of ACDSee Photo Studio or macOS High Sierra). But it looks like any and all images I now bring into ACDSee Photo Studio or edit within ACDSee Photo Studio show up with a "snail" thumbnail".

By the way, I went into Preferences>Manage>Thumbnails and removed the "Use embedded Thumbnail" option. But that does not make any difference.

.......no idea what is brocken. But something definitively is.

Comment

Just to add to the frustration: I wrote a loooooong response including a bunch of results from my latest tests. And after I posted it, it simply disappeared. So let me try once more:

Forget about SnapHeal. I no longer test any images which have gone through SnapHeal.

I performed the following tests:
      1. Imported one of the JPG images with a "snail" thumbnail into Photoshop Elements:
        1. BTW, the image shows a perfect thumbnail in Photoshop Elements;
        2. Applied one small edit;
        3. Saved the image as a JPG with a different name;
        4. The new copy shows up with a "snail" thumbnail in ACDSee Photo Studio.
      2. Did the same as in point 1 but with a PNG image. The results were exactly the same.
      3. Imported a new RAW image into ACDSee Photo Studio. It shows up with a "snail" thumbnail in ACDSee Photo Studio.
      4. Saved the RAW image as a TIFF in ACDSee Photo Studio. It shows up with a "snail" thumbnail in ACDSee Photo Studio.
      Bottom Line: Now whatever I do, all imported pictures, or edited pictures show up with a "snail" thumbnail in ACDSee Photo Studio. All of these pictures, when I import them into any of my other photo editing tools, show up with a proper thumbnail. But in ACDSee Photo Studio they show up with a "snail" thumbnail. No idea if this change is caused by an update in ACDSee Photo Studio, or an update in macOS High Sierra. But if it is an update in macOS High Sierra, that update does not seem to affect any of the other photo editors, as they all show proper thumbnails.

I have no idea what I need to do next. Hopefully the ACDSee Developers see this post and work with me on this most irritating problem.

Comment

One question and one suggestion.

Question: What type of raw are you using? Canon? Nikon? Olympus? Panasonic? Other? And could you post one someplace where it could be downloaded for someone else to try? (OK. Two questions).

Suggestion: My guess is that the first thing development would suggest is re-installing the app. Perhaps something has gone wrong in some of the library support files that contain translation or update information, and that is causing your problem. Usually, when something like this happens to me the first thing support says is download a fresh version and re-install it.

Other than that I am at a loss as to what to suggest.
        Last edited by miksons; 03-01-2018, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Hello Tahunga,

What do you mean by "snail" thumbnail ? Can you post a screenshot of that ? In the meantime, please try to refresh the folder to see if that would make any difference.To refresh, press CMD+R, or click View | Refresh.

About the Raw image, what is the camera model of your RAW file ?

Thanks - James
          Customer Care Team

Comment

Originally posted by James W- View Post
            Hello Tahunga,

What do you mean by "snail" thumbnail ? Can you post a screenshot of that ? In the meantime, please try to refresh the folder to see if that would make any difference.To refresh, press CMD+R, or click View | Refresh.

About the Raw image, what is the camera model of your RAW file ?

Thanks - James
            Customer Care Team
            Based on some of his earlier posts in this thread he is referring to the icon that Photo Studio puts up when it does not understand an image format. I see that sometimes with some of my Olympus E-M1 Mk II images, and they look like this, although his images seem to be jpgs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snail.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	45926
            Attached Files
            Last edited by miksons; 03-02-2018, 06:08 AM.

Comment

miksons, I am now in direct contact with the ACDSee Support team. So thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

And for all those reading this string of posts:
              1. Please read the whole string before you ask questions (such as "what kind of raw pictures"). I have discussed all this in my previous posts.
              2. The issue has nothing to do with my RAW pictures as it happens with all the other formats (as I mentioned earlier in this post)
              3. As I mentioned earlier in this string of posts, I have tried refreshing, re-loading, closing and restarting ACDSee Photo Studio, re-booting the computer, etc, etc.
              ....but thanks for the interest anyway.

Comment

Best of luck in getting this fixed. Sorry I was not of any help.

Comment

Hi Ho Tahunga, Before I go off and try to contact the ACDsee tech support, I see that you are in “direct contact” with ACDSee support.
                  {miksons, I am now in direct contact with the ACDSee Support team. So thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.}

Did you get a resolution to the problem of thumbnails that do not refresh?

Comment

Hi FredBal4. Yes, I did get a resolution from the ACDSee tech support team. Here is what they told me:

1) Optimize the database

In ACDSee, click Tools | Optimize the database. Select the disk and use the "remove orphan" option

2) Rename the database.

If the issue would still remain, please try the following to reset the ACDSee database

1. Close ACDSee Photo Studio for Mac 4

2. In Finder, go to "/Users/<USERNAME>/Library/Application Support/ACD Systems/ACDSee“.

To get to user's Library folder, you can click "Go" in Finder's menu bar, and then choose "Go to Folder".
                    Type '~/Library' in that field and then click Go.

3. Rename each file that begins with "com.ACDSystems.ACDSeePhotoStudio (version 7.0).mediaDatabase" to something else,
                    e.g ""com.ACDSystems.ACDSeePhotoStudio (version 7.0).mediaDatabase.bak"

4. Launch ACDSee (this will cause ACDSee to create new DB files)

In my case, points 1 and 2 did not help. But resetting the data base did do the trick. ​I have a feeling that the problem was a database which had gone through many versions of ACDSee, and as a result was corroded in some way. Now that I have a new database with my pictures, the ACDSee Technical team now wants my old, corrupted data base, so they can see what actually went wrong.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X