It would be nice to know ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It would be nice to know ...

As I write this there are 10 requests for new features. 5 of these have responses, but none are from the development and/or support staff at ACDSee so it is not possible for those of us who are posting to have any idea if (a) anyone is paying attention or (b) if any of them seem reasonable to the developers or (c) are in the works for future releases.

It would be nice if someone from ACDSee at least commented as to whether or not these are under consideration. It is not like the burden of work for 10 feature requests over the period of almost 2 months is too much for support to take care of. Those of us who are trying to help have no idea if anyone at ACDSee cares and if it is worth continuing to try posting requests.

miksons - From past experience I can suggest the following in response to your suggestions above:

(1.) The Developers rarely if ever comment directly to Forum suggestions -- either as to viability, or as to scheduling. That is consistent with other software companies that I work with. Considering the confidential nature of future product features, I really do not think that this is what I would call a "reasonable" request.

(2.) I can tell you that the Developers do indeed read this Forum. Suggestions that are posted here are very much on their radar. If there is significant support from a number users for a particular feature, history suggests that it has a fair shot at making a future release.

(3.) As for what gets in and what does not, that entire process is considered "company confidential". As a very long time user, I've worked closely with ACD Systems for over two decades. I've seen some feature requests get in very quickly. I have also submitted requests of my own that have gotten no action for years. In the end, however, my experience has been that persistence pays off. The ACDSee team do listen to their users. And, sooner or later reasonable requests do have a track record of finding their way into the product.

Comment

Originally posted by LV_Bill View Post
      miksons - From past experience I can suggest the following in response to your suggestions above:

(1.) The Developers rarely if ever comment directly to Forum suggestions -- either as to viability, or as to scheduling. That is consistent with other software companies that I work with. Considering the confidential nature of future product features, I really do not think that this is what I would call a "reasonable" request.
      There are several forums where the developer and support personnel respond daily to posts on their forums. Two examples are the Serif software forums (for Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer) and the PhotoLine forum. I have been posting on both for several years and regularly get responses from both support and development. In addition I have also gotten direct responses on the Corel forum regarding PaintShot Pro, so it is not that rare and I do not think that the request is so unreasonable.

Added to that is the rarity of getting a response from ACDSee concerning bug reports that have been filed. Aside from this forum I receive responses for most of the bug reports I have filed against software, including the Windows side of the ACDSee forum.

It is not as though doing so on a forum as rarely posted to as this one would be a burden. The real question is whether or not the parent company lets the developers or support people pay attention to the forums. Since I get responses on the Windows side of this forum I do not know why on the Mac side, with its much smaller number of posts, there is no such response.

miksons

(2.) I can tell you that the Developers do indeed read this Forum. Suggestions that are posted here are very much on their radar. If there is significant support from a number users for a particular feature, history suggests that it has a fair shot at making a future release.
      For me it is really a question as to whether or not there is any point in posting requests on the forum. Without any response from development or support there is no way for anyone posting to know if a suggestion is considered reasonable or not. There are so few people posting on the Mac part of the ACDSee forum that it does not seem possible to get more than 1 or 2 responses and so not really possible to know if something is even being considered.

All I was asking for was some comment as to whether or not a suggestion would be considered.

miksons

(3.) As for what gets in and what does not, that entire process is considered "company confidential". As a very long time user, I've worked closely with ACD Systems for over two decades. I've seen some feature requests get in very quickly. I have also submitted requests of my own that have gotten no action for years. In the end, however, my experience has been that persistence pays off. The ACDSee team do listen to their users. And, sooner or later reasonable requests do have a track record of finding their way into the product.
      I was not asking for any confirmation or scheduling. Only for some idea if a suggestion was considered to be reasonable.

Before I retired I spent 25 years as a software engineer/architect and we were constantly in touch with our customers as to what they wanted, what was possible and what would be considered for new releases. We rarely gave them schedules, for obvious reasons, but we tried to keep them posted on what we considered doable and what was not doable. That is all I was asking about.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Yes, we're reading the forum and gathering your feedback for version 5.0. Soon will be releasing a bug fix update to version 4 and getting geared up to start building new feature for version 5.

Thank you for the feedback and keep it coming. It is greatly appreciated!!

All the best,
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mcosgrove View Post
          Hello Everyone,

Yes, we're reading the forum and gathering your feedback for version 5.0. Soon will be releasing a bug fix update to version 4 and getting geared up to start building new feature for version 5.

Thank you for the feedback and keep it coming. It is greatly appreciated!!

All the best,
          Mark
          Thank you.

That is pretty much all I was asking for - some indication that someone was actually reading these posts, so there was some reason for us to continue posting requests and bug reports.

Comment

Absolutely, please keep posting your feature requests, bugs, etc. We're reading...

Comment

Working...
            X