Pre-Order Ultimate 9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Order Ultimate 9

On August 26 I upgraded from Pro 7 to Ultimate 8 because Pro 7 could not handle RAW (.NEF) image files from my Nikon D750. The upgrade cost $44.95 and does RAW image files just fine. Today (September 12) I received an email from ACDSee inviting me to pre-order Ultimate 9 for only $79.99. In only two weeks I'm told that my newly upgraded Ultimate 8 will soon be old hat. So that means the transition from Pro 7 to Ultimate 9 will have a combined cost $124.94 nearly the $149.99 list price of Ultimate 8. I've been a loyal customer of ACDSee products since October, 2008 (ver 2.5) and now I feel like I've been duped into buying a lame duck version when I could have waited a while and upgraded directly from Pro 7 to Ultimate 9 at less cost ($77.99 vs $124.94).

I'm not very happy - forgive the rant.

PaulW

I'm close to the opinion you express,

Not saying I'm against what you are saying but your combine 124.94 allow you to go from 7 to 9 while 149.99 would only bring you from 7 to 8

Yes you could have wait another year, but at the same time you would not have take advantage of the features of Ultimate8 (which were good, but features were lacking of deepness hope U9 will give us more mature features) . And because 9 is out it does not mean that 8 is now obsolete and will stop working.

Wait another year to upgrade to 10 for 79.99 and you will make better deal.

In in case you wonder I went from 6 to 8 so I can understand what your saying as I went to that same path in the past.

Now where I connect with your rant... 79.99 in pre-order is a little bit high, when compare to previous promo ACDSee had offer. Especially since we will use a RTM version. I would have expect to see something closer to 50/55, and since those are US dollar for me as a Canadian I need to multiple by 1.3.

Let see what will happen in the next few weeks...

Comment

I never buy an ACDSee product in the late summer because it seems that the annual version upgrade will be out sometime between September and November! Actually that advice goes reasonably well for Corel PSP too. All the software publishers seem to have a cycle they seem to adhere to. With some, it is an annual cycle for others, it's a 2 year cycle. But they all seem to fall into a predictable upgrade pattern
      Last edited by Glen Barrington; 09-12-2015, 06:49 PM.

Comment

You could ask the support, if there is a grace period.

Comment

PaulW: The same thing happened to me; they introduced Ultimate 8 just after they released Pro 8 and I made the purchase. I asked if I could upgrade to Ultimate for a fee equal to the difference, they said no. On principle I haven't upgraded to Ultimate.

Also, because of what I see as the short-sightedness of some manager at ACDSee, in the way they handled the situation, I’ve been much less inclined to recommend their applications. Why would I want my friends to be treated in this manner.
          Last edited by Robert Linsdell; 09-12-2015, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah same happens to me. I upgraded from Pro 7 to Ultimate 8 on August 10. After long thinking upgrade or not.. Well, I got Complete Pack 8 at price at price $85,55. It's not badly priced packet at all, but it's a little wrong package to me, because only of those programs I use is Ultimate 8. Now I'm a little annoyed, because at same price it is now possible to upgrade to Ultimate 9. I pay one round too much, because I could't wait long enough. After all I have payed quite much for upgrades from ACDsee 7>9>10>Pro3>Pro4>Pro5>Pro6>Pro7>Ultimate8. :-/ I hope there coud be reasonably priced option too. $80 is quite much again.

Comment

Price Comparison - Ultimate 9 to Pro9.
              I, like most of us recieved my message about the Ultimate 9 Pre Order in the last 24 hours, but didn't realise until reading through some of the posts her that there was a Pro9 release too.
              I was wanting to find out how much the Pro9 update was?? I have Ultimate 8(after upgrading earlier this year) but really haven't used the layers and at this stage would consider going back to Pro, especially if there are improvements on Pro8.
              One of my biggest problems too, is the cost, especially being in Australia and the AUD exchange rate being so poor at present, the $79.99 USD upgrade price is going to cost me $112.79 for the Ultimate9 upgrade.Previous upgrades have been nowhere near this cost.
              I have been a loyal ACDSee user since Pro1 back in 2007, and the upgrade costs just seem to be getting more & more expensive each year and I was wondering if there was enough Dev/Editing changes and improvements to warrant spending the extra on the upgrades.

Comment

I'm a pro 8 user. I tried the ultimate 8 and de-installed the trial version because several features seemed to be in let's say an early stage of development and just didn't cut it for me.
                I'm hoping the ultimate 9 will have solved at least some of those major issues and I'll give it a try. I would like to start working with layers. I'm hoping this is a good time to jump on the bandwaggon. Is there usually any price advatage by pre ordereing? I haven't seen any version to download and test yet?

Comment

@PaulW - You should contact ACD Tech Support at the link below with your purchase timing question. They are the only ones who can explain the policy and take appropriate action regarding the grace period for lame duck software purchases.

https://acdsystems.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new

Comment

I had the same reactions as LV_Bill. Ultimate came out a few weeks after Pro 8, and I was really ticked at the price policy. I trialled Ultimate and found it offered me nothing I needed so stayed with Pro. I too am much more leery of recommending the product to friends or in forums.

My approach is that I will trial the next release, but if there aren't useful changes to either the develop mode, or database searching, I'll stay with Pro 8.. Layers in Ultimate are really too rudimentary to be useful to me so, when I need 'em, I use PSP as an external editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbert View Post
                      My approach is that I will trial the next release, but if there aren't useful changes to either the develop mode, or database searching, I'll stay with Pro 8.. Layers in Ultimate are really too rudimentary to be useful to me so, when I need 'em, I use PSP as an external editor.
                      Who doesn't use an external editor? As long as you can get Gimp for free, you don't need a little bit of layers in your RAW converter. There would be much better things to add or improve in ACDSee Pro then layers. You just have to take a look on our whishlist.

Comment

Originally posted by SCX View Post

Who doesn't use an external editor? As long as you can get Gimp for free, you don't need a little bit of layers in your RAW converter. There would be much better things to add or improve in ACDSee Pro then layers. You just have to take a look on our whishlist.
                        Well I want to have layers available in ACDSee! I have had significant trouble getting Color management to work consistently between ACDSee Pro (anything) and PSP X3 thru X6. In my judgement the fault lie with PSP not ACDSee as I am happy with the way my photos look from ACDSee and how they print From ACDSee and less happy with the color results from PSP. Not only does the color get messed up from a round trip to PSP, the EXIF data gets stripped as well.

I would love to have a good 16 bit color depth bit mapped editor that can be managed with the same color controls as my raw developer. ACDSee Ultimate's bit mapped editor isn't there yet, it is at best a convenience and not a part of the overall workflow. However, I have great hope for subsequent versions.

While I might agree that, it frequently seems ACDSee loses sight of fixes and minor improvements that can make users have the same irrational affection for the product that Lightroom users have (I came from that camp, it's two pitchers of Kool-aid away from being a cult), I ALSO believe that ACDSee Ultimate is an important step for the future of the product line.
                        Last edited by Glen Barrington; 09-14-2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I use a Spyder and the Spyder-utility is on autostart and loads the monitor profile in the graphics card. So I have the correct colors (hopefully, because color management is a nightmare) in every program without using the colormanagement of the programs. At least everything looks ok here and I don't need 100%, I'm just an amateur.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Barrington View Post

Well I want to have layers available in ACDSee! I have had significant trouble getting Color management to work consistently between ACDSee Pro (anything) and PSP X3 thru X6. In my judgement the fault lie with PSP not ACDSee as I am happy with the way my photos look from ACDSee and how they print From ACDSee and less happy with the color results from PSP. Not only does the color get messed up from a round trip to PSP, the EXIF data gets stripped as well.

I would love to have a good 16 bit color depth bit mapped editor that can be managed with the same color controls as my raw developer. ACDSee Ultimate's bit mapped editor isn't there yet, it is at best a convenience and not a part of the overall workflow. However, I have great hope for subsequent versions.

While I might agree that, it frequently seems ACDSee loses sight of fixes and minor improvements that can make users have the same irrational affection for the product that Lightroom users have (I came from that camp, it's two pitchers of Kool-aid away from being a cult), I ALSO believe that ACDSee Ultimate is an important step for the future of the product line.
                            Glen I use sRGB throughout and my PSP and ACD prints are pretty close. Most of us have trouble with colour management at some point. Though I take your point that we are "supporting" the layers development in Ultimate, given the disrespectful pricing boondoggles regarding updates I no longer feel so loyal. My hardheaded decision is to buy what I need. ADCSee lost my loyalty a year ago with the release of Pro 8 (only one seat license) and Ultimate which came out weeks after I upgraded to Pro 8 and demanded a full upgrade price rather then the difference between the 2.

If it had a decent database I'd have switched to Capture One long ago, and if ACDSee doesn't pay attention to their database and searching, then other software will surpass them soon. At that point I'll see you an another forum.
                            Last edited by Bobbert; 09-14-2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I use color calibration as well, I used to use a Datacolor Spyder, but gave it up when the device got old, and I realized I still couldn't get the two programs to work in synchronicity. Now I just eyeball it with Calabrize the difference in quality of results is minimal. Actually, I see no difference in the quality of calibration between the two methods.

The truth is, any color profile I generated with either the Datacolor device or with Calabrize works pretty well with ACDSee, but is totally off with PSP X6. I get better,closer, results with ACDSee using the calibrated profile, and PSP using the default profile that came with the computer. And close isn't the same as, well, the same!

I'm glad it works for you, but I'm done screwing with color management and trying to get two different products with two different sets of color management controls to work together. PSP never worked all that well with Lightroom either, it was virtually the same set of issues. I'm glad you like PSP's color management, but I was looking for a new bit mapped editor when Ultimate 8 was announced, and I immediately put my editor purchase decisions on hold, to give ACDSee a chance to prove what they could do with a built in bit mapped editor.

I'm placing my bets on a single color management process from one vendor, in my case, ACDSee. so I say, ACDSee, you just keep on enhancing the bit mapped editor in Ultimate! (but don't forget the other stuff either)
                              Last edited by Glen Barrington; 09-14-2015, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X