Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How and why I use the Develop Mode (and not the Edit Mode)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How and why I use the Develop Mode (and not the Edit Mode)

The non-destructive Develop Mode allows me to manually apply a single adjustment at a time to a series of photos (e.g. Tone Curves), then go back to the beginning and apply the next adjustment, and so on. I can break off at anytime, come back later and apply the next adjustment. The key advantage over the Edit Mode is that the finished photo has only been recompressed to the final jpeg once.

Occasionally I notice that a finished photo looks quite different when on a website or someone else’s screen. I simply make some more adjustments in the Develop Mode and re-upload the photo, and still there’s no more degradation in image quality than the single recompression.

I use the ratings 1 to 5 and no rating to keep track of where I am in my basic six-step develop process. My basic process is:

1. Straighten and/or Crop.
    2. Tone Curves and Highlight Enhancement.
    3. LightEQ.
    4. White Balance.
    5. Sharpening and Noise Reduction.
    No Rating: Other adjustments as required, image at final stage.
    Last edited by Robert Linsdell; 09-15-2015, 07:03 PM.

Hi Robert - Just curious, but what inspired your Develop Mode workflow write up? Nice explanation by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by LV_Bill View Post
      Just curious, but what inspired your Develop Mode workflow write up?
      This post in the Pro group: http://forum.acdsee.com/forum/acdsee...8-new-in-pro-9. The original poster commented on what appears to be little improvement in the Develop Mode.

There are of course times when I have to use an external editor, mostly for making stitched panoramas. I also use Picasa for face tagging and for very fast searching on IPTC keywords, faces/people and place names.
      Last edited by Robert Linsdell; 09-17-2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linsdell View Post
        There are of course times when I have to use an editor, mostly for making stitched panoramas.
        You make stitched panoramas in the Edit mode? Never heard of this. Or, are you saying you just edit images PRIOR to making a panorama?

Comment

Originally posted by jpmccormac View Post
          You make stitched panoramas in the Edit mode?
          No. I use an external editor. (I've made it clearer in my post).

Comment

Virtually EVERY photo I choose to process for showing (Including the rare OOC jpgs) goes through the Development tab for things like basic exposure and color correction, cropping, base level sharpening, etc. I then make a Tif photo from that. Further processing the goes through either the Edit tab, External editors or PS Plug-ins. When the photo is "Done", I use ACDSee to convert to jpg (my distribution/publishing format) and to resize to an appropriate size if needed. I back up my original image, and the 'done' tif version. I don't worry about the 'done' jpgs, they are expendable.

Comment

Working...
            X