Ultimate 9 Bugs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate 9 Bugs

Note: This post has been updated to reflect the status of some the bugs as at September 2016.

----------

Time adjustment deletes EXIF Date/Time data
    (This bug is also in version 8)

Using the “Shift to a new starting date and time” function of the "Tools / Batch / Adjust Time Stamp..." to shift the EXIF date/time fields of a group of selected images works fine if every image has an original date and time, but if just one of the images is missing an original date and time, ACDSee will wipe out the EXIF date/time information from ALL of the selected images.

----------

Automatic name resolving function numbers the files incorrectly

When resolving name conflicts during a batch rename, ACDSee Pro adds an underscore and a number to the file names in conflict. Currently, the first file in the list (as sorted by the user) is assigned the number “_2”, the second file “_3”, and so on, and the last file is given the number “_1”. The first file should be given the number “_1”, the second “_2” and so on.

----------

Activate/Deactivate Sharpening group button disabled

Unlike the Tune/General group button, the Sharpening group button has no effect when the sharpening brush or gradient tools are enabled.

----------

ACDSee Metadata not being displayed correctly

I’m running Pro 8 and Ultimate 9. They each show a different label color for the same image; Pro 8 shows no color, Ultimate shows red - ‘no color’ is the correct state (verified with Pro 7). Running ‘Tools/Metadata/Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata’ and ‘Tools/Database/Catalog Files’ in Ultimate does not fix the problem.

To replicate the problem, set the label to red (and embed in the image) in Ultimate. Set the color to ‘no color’ in Pro 6/7/8 and embed the change. Ultimate will still show the label as red. The same problem exists when ACDSee Metadata is cleared from ‘Caption’, ‘Author’, and ‘Notes’ (not sure about the Keywords).

Note: Changes in label color to a different color, and for the text fields, the text being changed to different text are displayed correctly.

----------

Text appearing outside the Slideshow footer text box

If the footer text ends with a space, either by choice because it might look better, or because of an empty Metadata tag, part of the footer text is displayed outside the background box during a slideshow. Also, the Slideshow text background color picker does not display the actual custom color values for Hue, Sat, Lum etc. The Slideshow header also has these problems.
    The View Mode footer text and Edit Header/Footer color picker work fine. I haven't tested the header and footer in the Screensaver option.

----------

Manage Mode Compare Image error message

Where the Date/Time Original is earlier than 1970 and Compare Images is used, the error message “The parameter is incorrect” is displayed.

----------

Search “Embed Pending” and "Tagged" cannot be set to False

The Search test options for ACDSee Metadata properties “Embed Pending” and "Tagged" should be the same as for “Auto Rotated”, “Image Developed” and “Image Edited”.

----------

Zoom changes in Develop Mode

When zoomed in, the zoom level or zoomed location changes sometimes when switching between Develop Mode tools.

----------

Date/Time Original Altered by Paste Metadata

In Manage Mode, where the IPTC Date Created field of a source image contains a value, copying the IPTC metadata to a target image results in the EXIF Date/Time Original value being changed to the IPTC Date Created value of the source file. To see the result after copying/pasting the metadata, select the target file and run the function: Tools / Metadata / Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata.

Note: The IPTC Date Created can be set manually, or by making a change to the EXIF Date/Time Original. Once IPTC Date Created has a value, ACDSee Pro/Ultimate adjusts these IPTC and EXIF data fields together to keep them in sync.

----------

Batch Export of Developed Images Loses IPTC Data

When developed images are exported using the Batch Export function, IPTC data is missing from the exported image files. Testing suggests that the IPTC data is being pulled from the original (hidden) image and not the Developed image.

----------

Metadata not always displayed in the Properties Pane

Occasionally an image’s metadata is not displayed in the Properties pane. Sometimes all the data is missing and sometimes just some of it. Selecting the image and running the menu item Tools/Metadata/Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata fixes the problem until the next time it happens. The problem occurs most following a batch adjustment to the EXIF date/time metadata and when images have been changed outside the application.

The easiest way to see the problem is in the Manage Mode details view with many metadata columns displayed. Sort the columns so the empty fields can be viewed and reviewed together.

This is a big problem when sorting on a metadata field in the Manage Mode window or searching on a metadata field. If ACDSee Pro/Ultimate hasn’t pulled in all the data, then the sort or search results will be incorrect.

----------

IPTC Keyword Picker value legend incorrect
    Fixed in version 9.1

The legends for 'Value is assigned to all/some selected files' are inverted.

----------

Develop Mode Tools pane docks in odd places
    Fixed in version 9.2

The Tools pane docks at random locations across the work area, sometimes in the middle, sometimes on the right. With the pane undocked, the photos appear on the far right instead of in the middle of the work area.

A temporary fix is to delete the following folder from the Windows registry using regedit.exe:
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACD Systems\ACDSee Ultimate\90\BCGLayouts\Develop
    ----------

IPTC keyword search can take hours to return a result
    Fixed in version 9.2

This is a problem for uncatalogued and cataloged images. Google's Picasa desktop application takes fractions of a second.

----------

View Mode layout resets
    Fixed in version 10.0

If ACDSee Ultimate is opened by right-clicking on an image file and selecting "View with ACDSee Ultimate 9", the View Mode layout reverts to the default layout i.e. the Properties pane is turned off or is floating, and the Filmstrip and Info Palette are displayed.

Note: Quick View was disabled for the above test.

----------

Automatic metadata number sequence feature not working

Fixed in version 10.0

In Manage Mode, selecting two or more files and entering <100> in the IPTC Title field, and clicking Apply, should result in images with the titles 100, 101, 102... In Ultimate 9 all the images are assigned the title 100.

For details of the feature see the help section “Adding Metadata to Files and Using Presets”.

----------

Duplicate IPTC Keywords in Ultimate 9 after upgrade
    Fixed in version 10.0

When I installed Ultimate 9 (build 565) and allowed it to convert my Pro 8 database, I saw that many identical keywords appeared twice in the IPTC Keyword Picker. Running the database maintenance utility didn't fix the problem.

I started a new database and left it cataloging my photo collection overnight - I now don't see duplicate IPTC keywords

This problem also occurred when upgrading from 9.1 to 9.2, but not the second time I tried it.

----------
    Last edited by Robert Linsdell; 09-22-2016, 03:45 PM. Reason: To show what in the list has changed with the release of version 10.

The Create/PPT option is not working in Pro7, Pro8, Ultimate8, or Ultimate9 according to my own experience as well as feedback in a different thread.

Niels

Comment

Robert, good to see you're reporting all these items to tech support.

Re: the first item, View Mode layout resets -- on my Windows 10 system, right-clicking on an image and choosing that option opens the image in Ultimate 9 "Quick View" mode and there's no panel nor filmstrip there. I'm not sure that's even an option in Quick View.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by OldRadioGuy View Post
        right-clicking on an image and choosing that option opens the image in Ultimate 9 "Quick View" mode and there's no panel nor filmstrip there. I'm not sure that's even an option in Quick View.
        Good point, I'll modify my post. However, I see the same problem if viewing in Quick View and then selecting the View Mode.
        Last edited by Robert Linsdell; 10-18-2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

I thought I had seen a wish list somewhere, but cannot find it. So I include a wish here: to be able to include a caption or a title outside the image area when doing create/PDF

Niels

Comment

New bug added to first post: 'IPTC Keyword Picker Value Legends incorrect'.

Originally posted by njlarsen View Post
            I thought I had seen a wish list somewhere
            There's a wish list here: Disappointing ACDSee Pro 9 upgrade
            Last edited by Robert Linsdell; 05-30-2016, 05:29 PM.

Comment

New bug added to first post "Develop Mode Tools pane docks in odd places". I've also updated the post to reflect my testing of version 9.1. Ten of the bugs remain unresolved (including the new one), two haven't yet been tested for, and one has been fixed.

My trial expires in a few days. I will be sticking with version 8.

The minimal improvements to the Develop Mode from version 8 to version 9 and the bugs make the cost difficult to justify. When all the bugs are fixed, I will reconsider upgrading.
              Last edited by Robert Linsdell; 05-30-2016, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Hello,

I confirm that in edit mode there is no filmstrip and when i want add image in layer i must go to the menu bar.

Another annoying thing bug maybe ? is in special effect, and "photo effect" there is drop down menu to apply filters. When choosen a filters i am stuck there, i can't scroll down to view other filters unless i came back in the box, re-scroll down to choose another filter.

Kat

Comment

This two bugs (link, link) still exist in my latest AC Ult 9 (Build 579). Both first appeared in v9 and may be related to the new collections feature.

Comment

When you use the Taskbar Auto Hide feature in Win 7, everytime you use the ACDSee viewer all the icons of the taskbar (bottom right) disapear !!!... Very annoying !!!!

Comment

I am on version 9.1 and agree there are a lot of bugs which really prevent me from fully using it.

However, my main reason for purchasing it is the database which is far better than Lightroom.
                      Last edited by judophotos; 12-01-2015, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X