Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very slow to scan folder and no permanent caching, not even in the catalog

Hi

I am an Adobe CC subscriber currently and I am in the process of evaluating ACDSee as an alternative, seriously considering a move. I have 4 days left in my evaluation and 2 days left in the current promo.

One thing that is bugging me is that in the Manage module, the directory scanning is pretty slow. It takes a while before displaying anything and then it takes a very long while before I can scroll freely in the thumbnails pane.

It could be tolerable if that happened only the very first time a folder is accessed.

However, every time ACDSee is restarted, it has to rescan any folder, even if the folder is catalogued.

I find that a serious shortcoming and it makes the product a whole lot less interesting.

I mean, even Bridge is better than that!

That's not a normal behaviour of ACDSee. Maybe the folders are exdludes from the database?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SCX View Post
      That's not a normal behaviour of ACDSee. Maybe the folders are exdludes from the database?

No they are not excluded..

But I am so glad to read that it is not normal. Thanks for that information!

Now, what am I doing wrong?

I created a new database, re-catalogued the folders and I have the same phenomenon.

Comment

I just discovered the DB maintenance tool.

It does show that the folders have thumbnails in the DB:

Click image for larger version

Name:	acdcdb.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	34409

I really don't understand why ACDSee does not use them.

Comment

I don't know, what's the cause for that behaviour. When I open a new folder, I can scroll while ACDSee creates the thumbnails. Are those files RAW-files and "Generate high quality thumbnail" is activated in the preferences? But that doesn't explain, why ACDSee has to create the thumbnails again and again.

Try to create a new database and don't catalogue the files, just open one folder with some images in it.

Where's the database? Has ACDSee access to that folder? Try another folder for the new database, where everyone has simple access.
          Last edited by SCX; 12-03-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I just purchased this software yesterday and find that the thumbnails are very fast, even with large TIFF and RAW files. My problem is the eraser tool, it is so sluggish and jerky it is un-usable. I switched from AfterShot Pro 2 because in that program, the thumbnails never really got cached, so every time I scroll through a folder with images, the program would slow to a crawl.

Comment

Originally posted by SCX View Post
              Try to create a new database and don't catalogue the files, just open one folder with some images in it.

Where's the database? Has ACDSee access to that folder? Try another folder for the new database, where everyone has simple access.
              I did that.

ACDSee has access to the folder, I see the files in the db directory growing, etc...

I click on a folder with, say 900 pictures, it takes several minutes to generate all the thumbnails. I click on another one, same behaviour. I click again on the fist one it is instant and all is very fast.

I quit ACDSee, restart it, click on the same folder and it takes the same time again to rebuild the thumbnails.

Comment

It seems ACDSee looses the thumbnails after a restart. What about the keywords? Are they there after a restart, or are they lost as well? Try the quicksearch, or apply a category to a testimage and klick on that category before and after a restart.

I think, this is a case for the support. This is an official ACDSee forum, but the support visits it not very regulary, so you will have to contact the support.

Comment

Thanks for your indications.

Categories and keywords work.

It is just that it feels like it has to rebuild the thumbnails after a restart.

I opened a case with support. It is just that I'd like to decide if I purchase before the end of the current rebate

Apart from that and a clear bug I saw with contrast on a gradient filter, I find that product really good. And with the new adjustment layers in the edit module, it is like having a PhotoShop specially tailored for photographers.
                  Last edited by StephaneB; 12-04-2015, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Now I measured it.

I opened a folder with 35 D800 raw files.

Fist time : 2 minutes before the first thumbnails are displayed. After 20 seconds more, all the thumbnails are displayed.

Stop ACDSee, restart it, go to the same folder : 16 seconds to display the thumbnails.

So it is actually working, albeit very slowly.

When I go to the same folder in Lightroom, the thumbnails display instantaneously.

When I go to a folder with 900 pictures, mostly film scans, the whole thing feels very sluggish.

Comment

Your screen shot at post #4 shows, I think, only a small amount of space used by Thumbnail Cache. Your 5844 images are only taking up 92MB whereas, pro rata, some 6000 images in my database would be taking about 0.5GB. Worth pointing out to Support.

Comment

Hello StephaneB,

Thank you for your interest in ACDSee. I'm sending you a private message and would like to speak with you regarding the problem.

Forum moderators and participants. Thank you very much for helping StephaneB. Your participation on the ACD forum is greatly appreciated...

Cheers,
                        Mark

Comment

The problem has been isolated to large Photoshop TIFF files with layers and smart filters. As a workaround, converting those files to PSD removes any perfomance problem.All is very fast then.

Comment

There's probably something going on with your system or graphics card. One of the many reasons I switched to ACD Ultimate 9 is because of speed, everything loads quickly and once an image is in Manage Mode it is cached and will load instantly. Same with large 70MB files, when I click on one to view, it takes a second or so to scan, but compared to Corel PSP, ACD is far, far faster. I stopped using PSP because it is so damn slow. Do you have enough memory? Enough graphic memory?

Jerry
                            http://www.jerrygerber.com/photography/gallery.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Gerber View Post
                              There's probably something going on with your system or graphics card. One of the many reasons I switched to ACD Ultimate 9 is because of speed, everything loads quickly and once an image is in Manage Mode it is cached and will load instantly. Same with large 70MB files, when I click on one to view, it takes a second or so to scan, but compared to Corel PSP, ACD is far, far faster. I stopped using PSP because it is so damn slow. Do you have enough memory? Enough graphic memory?

Jerry
                              http://www.jerrygerber.com/photography/gallery.htm

Thank Jerry. All is fine. It is probably a little glitch in ACDSee scan code. I'm perfectly ahppy to convert those files to PSD. We're talking of files that are from 400GB to more than 1GB sometimes.

As I said, once in PSD format, all is fine.

I agree PSP cannot compete. That once great software has been trashed by Corel.

Comment

Working...
                              X