ACDSee Ultimate extremely slow writing developed RAWs to a NAS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDSee Ultimate extremely slow writing developed RAWs to a NAS

I keep my photo library on a mounted network drive (NAS). When developing photos I have experienced that for example after having made some adjustments when ACDSee applies the changes it takes ages for the operation to complete. I have compared different scenarios:
    1. develop a JPEG on a NAS and apply changes: 2-3 seconds (6MB file)
    2. develop a RAW (ARW) on a NAS and apply changes: ~4 minutes (24MB ARW + developed 13-15 MB JPEG)
    3. develop a RAW (same as above) on local SSD and apply changes: 1-2 seconds (24MB ARW + developed 13-15 MB JPEG)
    in case of scenario 2. I could watch the JPEG file being written to the [Developed] folder....and its size only increased VERY slowly.

I get the impression that ACDSee is doing the writes of developed raw files in far too small chunks which results in this terrible performance when using network storage, this seems to be different in case of developed JPEGs.

does anybody else experience the same problem?

Originally posted by fonebone View Post
    I keep my photo library on a mounted network drive (NAS). When developing photos I have experienced that for example after having made some adjustments when ACDSee applies the changes it takes ages for the operation to complete. I have compared different scenarios:
    1. develop a JPEG on a NAS and apply changes: 2-3 seconds (6MB file)
    2. develop a RAW (ARW) on a NAS and apply changes: ~4 minutes (24MB ARW + developed 13-15 MB JPEG)
    3. develop a RAW (same as above) on local SSD and apply changes: 1-2 seconds (24MB ARW + developed 13-15 MB JPEG)
    in case of scenario 2. I could watch the JPEG file being written to the [Developed] folder....and its size only increased VERY slowly.

I get the impression that ACDSee is doing the writes of developed raw files in far too small chunks which results in this terrible performance when using network storage, this seems to be different in case of developed JPEGs.

does anybody else experience the same problem?

I also keep all of my files on a QNAP NAS, and have just tried all the scenarios you have described.
    I see no extended delays in the order of minutes that you have experienced.
    Is this a new issue, or have you only just started to access the images using ACDSee?
    Have you tried other file types, say watching a movie or editing a word doc or spreadsheet?
    Are you connected wirelessly or via a network lead to the NAS as you may want to check out overlapping channels from neighbours causing issues. I have this all the time, accessing a word doc you would barely see the issue but on large image files you will. Try downloading the free version of InSSIDer (http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html) to look for a free channel.

Carl.
    Download inSSIDer (Freeware). <p>inSSIDer for Home gives you visibility into your Wi-Fi environment.</p>

Comment

I'm using a wired 1GB switched link to my NAS not going via my router.
      All other operations on files on the NAS seem to be as fast as I would expect them to be which you can also see from the behavior with JPEG files. Copying files from or to the NAS work at speeds of 60-100MB/s which is what I would expect from a 1GB/s link.
      The only operation that is slow is applying changes to an ARW (Sony Raw) file when ACDSee writes the developed JPEG. This makes me guess that ACDSee writes these files in very small portions which by nature will not perform well on a NAS due to the high IOPS load it generates; writing the result of developing a JPEG seems to work a lot better.

Comment

I did some more tests and looked at ACDSee's behavior using Microsoft's Process Monitor. This confirmed by suspicion that ACDSee is using different chunk sizes when writing developed JPEGs vs. Developed RAW files:
        • JPEG: chunk size = 512kB (12 write operations for a 6MB file, duration = 0.05sec)
        • RAW: chunk size = 1024B + 512B (9673 write operations for a 5MB file, duration = 1min 38sec)
        This is definitively not how it should be, I'll open a support ticket making them aware of this and asking for an improvement

Comment

I checked this with Ultimate 10 and the situation hasn't improved. I've opened a ticket with support but they are not able to tell me something about its status....
          Last edited by fonebone; 10-13-2016, 01:47 AM.

Comment

I also have a QNAP and find chunk sizes of 32KiB:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Unbenannt.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	38547

Name:	Unbenannt1.PNG
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	38548

For a 53MB TIFF it take less then a second to save. All hardware is connected using 1000-Mbit/s-Ethernet.

Comment

the problem occurs only when ACDSee stores the JPG along with a developed RAW file (in my case Sony ARW)...note the ARW.jpg file extension (the file is written with about 14'000 write operations for 8MB, each either 1kB or 0.5kB in size):

Name:	DevelopARW.PNG
Views:	3
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	38563
              It does not occur when you develop a JPG file (9 write operations for a 8MB file each 1MB in size):

Name:	DevelopJPG.PNG
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	38564
              saving a TIF file is also fine on my side (1MB chunks like the normal JPG).
              Attached Files
              Last edited by fonebone; 10-13-2016, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Yepp, I find similar behaviour for my NEF.jpg files:

Name:	Unbenannt.PNG
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	38567

Name:	Unbenannt2.PNG
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	38568

The chunk size varies from 512 to 1024 bytes, but its still takes just half a second to save the file. Seems time to brief the support. Perhaps this is wanted for some reason.
                Last edited by Emil; 10-13-2016, 06:36 AM.

Comment

I've got a ticket open with support, so let's see what answer they come back with....
                  Meanwhile I have moved from a Drobo 5N to a Drobo B810n NAS and time-wise it is a lot faster now...
                  Last edited by fonebone; 10-13-2016, 07:22 AM.

Comment

I've just contacted support about the status of the issue that I have reported....the response was extremely disappointing ... after more than 12 months!
                    That's what I got as response:
                    Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately, I do not have update with regard to this particular issue.

The information has been forwarded to the QA Team for addition to their internal tracking system. These items are reviewed and investigated for inclusion in patches, updates and future versions. We cannot, unfortunately, provide information on when or if an individual issue will be resolved.
                    I've never seen a software company being that slow coming to at least a finding....

Comment

Working...
                    X