Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feature Request: Leverage lens correction information from MFT RAW files

Hello

When dealing with RAW from MFT (Micro Four Thirds) cameras, primarily Panasonic and Olympus, Lens corrections are built into the RAW files. This is a huge advantage for MFT camera users because it avoids the whole issue of creating or obtaining lens profiles and applying them.

In ACDSee Ultimate, when you are in View mode there is a button in the bottom right that lets you select Raw decode or Embedded preview.
    --- Embedded previews which are made in the camera applies the lens corrections.
    --- Raw Preview does not apply the lens corrections

Request: Raw Preview should apply lens corrections from the RAW file for RAW files that provide it.

When you Edit or develop the RAW file, the lens corrections are not Applied.
    --- Because of this the first thing one needs to do is apply Lens Distortion Correction. This will need to be done for every photo every time.

Request: Raw Preview should apply lens corrections from the RAW file for RAW files that provide it when in Edit or Develop mode

Mark

As a work around I've saved a bunch of top-level develop presets that *just* have lens correction settings in for my lenses. I can then select all raw files right after import and batch develop them for lens correction.

In Develop mode you can also set automatic application of a profile for specific file-format+lens+camera combinations, but that requires you to go in to Develop mode for each image, so I usually do the batch develop instead.

I'd never seen uncorrected M43 images before - kind of interesting until it became annoying I do like being able to apply alternative lens corrections though - I submitted some calibration images for a couple of lenses to the lensfun DB and so the corrections for those are "perfect" for me.

Comment

Curious - does any other software do this for M43 cameras? I find that the RAW previews are quite lacking for my Panasonic:
      1) Lots of lens distortion because there is no lens correction done for the previews
      2) They often look darker than their jpeg counterparts
      3) Definitely not as sharp as their jpeg counterparts!

I like the idea of shooting raw, but I wish that the default image at least looked as good as the JPEG so I didn't have to muck with EVERY SINGLE PHOTO.

Comment

I'll answer my own question.

Yes - both Lightroom and Capture One use the lens correction parameters embedded in the RAW file. Wow, is that nice! No hunting for the lens or wondering if your defaults are correct. Image previews are corrected just right. Obviously, this won't work for lenses that don't pass that information (I should try a Sigma), but for those that do - this is just seamless and easy.

+1 to this feature request!

Comment

Pentax images can have this data embeded too it's in the camera settings on most models.

Comment

Working...
          X