Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Developing in the Background - What is ACDSee doing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing in the Background - What is ACDSee doing?

When I open a RAW file in Develop Mode, I see the file, then almost instantaneously there seems to be some correction going on in the background by ACDSee. For instance I shot some high ISO files. I can see the noise when the file opens then ACDSee Ultimate 10 seems to do a correction and the noise is not so bad. But I don't want it that way. I want a file totally untouched so that I can decide what corrections I need to do and how much.

I would appreciate it if someone could advise me, do I have a setting that I need to change

That first image seems to be the camera created thumbnail. The next rendering is the (in my case) somewhat dull RAW data.
    ​In my case, the image in develop is the actual RAW data display.

It is possible the camera created thumbnail includes camera calculated noise reduction.

​To not see the thumbnail,
    Option > General > RAW Display.... and change from "Embedded preview" to "RAW Decode"

Comment

Thanks for that. I changed it over to RAW Decode and restarted U10. It's still doing the same thing

Comment

OK. There is one other item I use that creates an image change change about 1 second after opening into Develop mode.
        ​I have set Ult10 to apply lens corrections when it finds an image with a lens that I have previously mapped.

​But this doesn't change the noise correction... it only changes the perspective / pin-cushion.
        ​Geometry > Lens Correction > Map Default)

​I am at a loss with any other suggestions. Sorry.

Comment

I thought it was lens correction at first so I turned it off. Thanks for trying. I might try and screen capture what is happening and pass it onto support tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hardisty View Post
            I thought it was lens correction at first so I turned it off. Thanks for trying. I might try and screen capture what is happening and pass it onto support tomorrow.
            I'm curious about this also. Let us know if/when you get a response from the support team.

Comment

In develope mode I have set some presets on some of the options; like adding a certain amount of sharpening.
              So these settings are performed as soon as I enter develope mode with any "fresh" RAW file.
              Quite useful as a starting point.
              I guess you have set all those presets to zero.
              Last edited by Trevor; 01-29-2017, 11:47 AM.

Comment

I don't think you CAN eliminate that tiny bit of pre processing, and to my knowledge, none of the major raw development programs allow you to turn it off. (I repeat, to my knowledge! It's been a while since I've used Lightroom or CaptureOne ). It is this bit of pre processing that fans of one software over another gush about how great their raw files look 'without any processing' with program "Xxx".

As near as I can tell, it is a tiny bit of sharpening, and maybe a bit of contrast overall. It doesn't appear to be anything you would NOT do to a photo with, say, the Raw Presharpener in the NIK tools. I suspect the situation where the modern raw developers do this for us, is why so many new NIK users are so confused by the inclusion of the NIK presharpener.

Look at the screen print I attached below. The one on the right,is a raw photo converted to Tif prior to raw conversion. The on the left is the same image AFTER being sent to the raw developer tab and an immediate save. As you can see the post raw image is a bit sharper and with a bit more contrast. This is a very minor difference. I'd bet that if you did this same test with Lightroom, CaptureOne, or DXO, you would find the differences much greater.

You might find a blog article I wrote on the differences between ACDSee Ultimate 8 and the Olympus viewer software interesting. See it here

Click image for larger version

Name:	PreProcCapture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	39845
                Last edited by Glen Barrington; 01-29-2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

This is really annoying me. With my Pentax DSLRs the internal RAW processing done by ACDSee is not an issue, but for my compact Olympus TG-4 the RAW images are to all intents and purposes wrecked - they lose contract and an astonishing amount of sharpness to such a degree that the accompanying camera processed jpg is better. They are just dull and blurry. Please ACDSee give us a way to if not actually turn off this ghastly pre-processing at least the tools to make adjustments to it.

Comment

Each fresh RAW has attached jpg tumbnail. This is shown in viev mode if you so choose. When you switch to Develop mode after a few seconds (depending on the speed of the PC) show pure raw as it ACD decode.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinfrance View Post
                      This is really annoying me. With my Pentax DSLRs the internal RAW processing done by ACDSee is not an issue, but for my compact Olympus TG-4 the RAW images are to all intents and purposes wrecked - they lose contract and an astonishing amount of sharpness to such a degree that the accompanying camera processed jpg is better. They are just dull and blurry. Please ACDSee give us a way to if not actually turn off this ghastly pre-processing at least the tools to make adjustments to it.
                      I think the problem here might be the camera. Compact cameras often need a lot of tuning to deliver good images, which ACDSee can't recreate for every model of every brand. You probably need to create a preset for this camera.

Comment

I emailed support about this on Sunday night 6:39 pm UK Time, even included a video showing the adjustments happening. To date, other than the canned "thank you, ete, etc" I have heard nothing from Support.

Comment

Could we see this video too? Maybe we find a clue.

Comment

Use this button to select how the picture will be displayed in the view mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
                              Could we see this video too? Maybe we find a clue.
                              It's only a short video stored on OneDrive, I couldn't post it directly here. Have a look about 8-12 seconds in, especially on the blue floor. You will see the file load, then a lot of noise on the floor and then it is corrected

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Algtqj2ELIkj3GkX2JoFZfp6aorH

Just as an update, support have asked me for the original RAW file which I sent them last night about 11 pm UK time

Comment

Working...
                              X