Clone Tool - A Bug?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clone Tool - A Bug?

Or am I not using the tool correctly? The Help file indicates it should be working the way I think it should - always a possible issue with software.

Pretty uniform gray sky with a telephone wire. Wire about 3 pixels wide. Magnification of image at about 600% (pixelated at this point)

Remove bulk of wire OK when nib at 10 but when I get down into the place where the wire goes through leaves, I need to get the nib down to one or two pixels. Set feather to zero. "Clone" doesn't clone, it acts more like Heal with some feathering. I'm not getting "Copies the pixels from the source area to the target area." as the Help file suggests. It "clones" at first mouse click but "fills in" a half-beat after releasing mouse button.

Any thoughts?

There is heal and clone in this tool. I assume, you really use clone? Just to be sure.

The clone tool sometimes behaves quite strange on my system too. Sometimes I remove spots (especially in edges of images) and they are gone in develop mode, but in view mode they are there again, quite blurred, but quite visible. The heal tool is even worse.

I tried your description and it really looks, at if the clone tool acts more like the heal tool with small brush sizes. It does some calculations in the background, which I don't understand with a simple clone tool.

Comment

I have the same issue. - I find clone clones with a degree of transparency rather than a 100% sample. - it's just more noticeable at smaller brush sizes

Comment

I've seen the same. Clone/heal is one of the features that I shell out to different tools. Ideally, it would be nice to have some improvements in this functionality. For the heal/clone/correct feature I use the inpaint feature Affinity Photo. (Affinity also comes with stacking and other tools to justify the $50 cost as a helper app for Ult10).

Comment

I didn't realise affinity photo was that cheap!

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
          I've seen the same. Clone/heal is one of the features that I shell out to different tools. Ideally, it would be nice to have some improvements in this functionality. For the heal/clone/correct feature I use the inpaint feature Affinity Photo. (Affinity also comes with stacking and other tools to justify the $50 cost as a helper app for Ult10).

Comment

It is cheap.... but pretty good. I use focus merging, image stacking, inpaint (content aware-like feature), panorama, and live filters. A totally different tool than ACDSee. As AdobeRAW+Lightroom is to Photoshop, ACDSeeUlt10 is to Affinity Photo. (I am sure the PS purest will cringe with this comparison, but for me it is close enough.). I bought it at $40 when first announced, but would buy it at $50 to have it around. They also have great support and a very active forum.

Comment

I'm trialing it at the moment gus (off the back of your comment) finding the frequency separation quite good for portrait work particularly for cleaning up static hairs.

For £50 it could be a useful addition until ACDsee catches up on content aware tools.

It does also make me realise what I really like about edit so they can be companion apps rather than Affinity replacing edit mode.

Comment

Another plus for Affinity Photo is that they have the most comprehensive set of tutorial videos that I have seen from any software company. Each video is focused on a specific task, so while there is a steep learning curve for AP, the tutorials help immensely.

Comment

Originally posted by larry_vh View Post
                  Another plus for Affinity Photo is that they have the most comprehensive set of tutorial videos that I have seen from any software company. Each video is focused on a specific task, so while there is a steep learning curve for AP, the tutorials help immensely.
                  acdsee could do with getting this guy to do some tutorials for them. have purchased acdsee ultimate 10 a while ago but complete beginner with no lr/photoshop experience. having tutorials in bite size chunks mean you dont get rammed with information and can easily FIND what it is you want to learn then practice it. Big over-arching tutorials may have their place but make navigating to specific tasks difficult.

Comment

Have you checked out ACDSee's Youtube channel? While not quite as comprehensive, I think have been doing a better job of uploading tutorials.

Comment

Working...
                    X