Layer manipulation in Edit Mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layer manipulation in Edit Mode

Can't find a clear answer in the user manual or a search of recent forum activity, so . . .

1 - In edit mode, I create a layer which is a paste of a copied selection from an existing layer.

2 - I want to flip the new layer (and just the new layer) vertically.

Is #2 possible? I know I can rotate the layer, but that's not what I'm looking for. The "flip" tool under the edit mode menu affects all layers simultaneously. Am I missing something or is this on the wish list for v. 11?

Thanks.

DJB

Not sure whether you can do it as you described, but would it be possible to paste your selection into a new temporary image, flip it, then copy it back to a new layer in your original image?

Comment

Thanks for responding. I did try as you suggested, and that works OK, but it's certainly less convenient than Photoshop, wherein I can just select the layer (or any portion of it) and Edit>Transform>Flip Vertical [or horizontal).

I suppose for this kind of compositing I can use PS as an external editor and just do any geometric layer manipulations there (I'd have to do that from Lightroom anyway) but I was hoping to avoid bouncing around.

Thanks again.

DJB

Comment

As a follow-up, the roundtrip to Photoshop CS6 (with the Camera Raw 9.1.1 extension, apparently the last supported by CS6 standalone), works OK for my Fuji X-T10 raw files, but not for the X-T2. Fortunately, CS6 handles common non-Raw file formats (TIF, DNG, JPG) so this is not fatal.

Note to ACDSee - I believe there's a real opportunity to beef up the edit mode to handle geometry changes on individual layers. I'm very fond of Ultimate but would like be Adobe-free at some point.

DJB

Comment

For what it is worth... ACDSee Pro/Ult is part of my Adobe-free process. For over 3+ years I used ACDSee + GIMP to replace CameraRaw/Lightroom/PS. With many friends neck deep in Adobe products, this was always a good challenge to compare /contrast workflows. Recently, I have changed to ACDseeUlt + Affinity Photo. Te combination of Ult10 and AP, means the only remaining advantage for Adobe is the user-base. There are just more Adobe users and related support. However, there are plenty of arguments to suggest Ult10+AP is a better tool combo than the Adobe suite.

(​Admittedly, it would be better if Ult10 did not require AP as a helper application.)

Comment

I also have AP, and am in "student mode" with that as well. Other than its glacial file-loading speed, I find it competent and so far a viable PS alternative. Haven't tried to flip a layer yet, but I suspect it can be done. I already use QImage as a replacement for Lightroom's print module (it does profile/paper presets, whereas Ultimate does not). But for its basic DAM and Raw conversion capability, Ultimate is at least 80% there for me.

Comment

I'm also finding AP very much fills in the Gaps in EDIT modes functionality

Comment

I attended the last workshop for beginners some days ago - Part 4.
                Here was shown how to flip a single layer.
                Unfortunately I can not remember how it was possible - real shame because I have the same problem as you.
                Unfortunately, the inclusion of this workshop is not yet posted on the website.
                I browsed the website and it seems the workshop will be on again March 21, 2017 10:00 AM (PDT)

Comment

Sorry for taking the thread off on a tangent, but could someone describe a situation where having a single layer rotated would be desirable? This is not something I ever thought about.

Comment

Originally posted by kastoft View Post
                    I attended the last workshop for beginners some days ago - Part 4.
                    Here was shown how to flip a single layer.
                    Unfortunately I can not remember how it was possible - real shame because I have the same problem as you.
                    Unfortunately, the inclusion of this workshop is not yet posted on the website.
                    I browsed the website and it seems the workshop will be on again March 21, 2017 10:00 AM (PDT)
                    If you attended the part 4 workshop during which the audio failed 2/3 of the way through (I did too), then you heard my question to Adam - the same as presented here - and his answer. In edit mode, Adam invoked the Move tool on the layer to be manipulated, grabbed the top center handle, and dragged it down past the bottom of the layer, effectively creating a vertically flipped layer. Moving the selection up, and further dragging the handle down, he could wind up with an inverted image. I suppose this could achieve a horizontal flip as well by grabbing either of the side handles.

Adam pointed out that if you were dealing with a selection of only part of a layer, there didn't appear to be a way to assure you were flipping the selection to the same vertical dimension if desired, though it could of course be approximated. He e-mailed later that he had passed that on to the development team and the a Photoshop-like flip command would be considered for inclusion in the next (or at least some future) version.

You may have noticed that the next day's make-up session finally showed up on YouTube a couple of days ago, and while I didn't watch the whole thing over again I'm pretty sure the question/answer didn't survive as they appear to have just recorded the re-do.

I think this company's responsiveness is really good. A purely subjective comment about ACDSee Ultimate with which many will disagree, I'm sure - there's a sense of refinement missing that is present in Adobe's interface - and I'm sure my familiarity with PR and PS is what largely drives this - it may change over time. That said, ACDSee is, imho, the best available integrated, jack-of-all-trades alternative to the Adobe products and I intend to stay with it in parallel to my use of LR. It has a very rich feature set. On a more objective basis, I can't get ACDSee to represent colors quite right on either of my monitors (one standard, one wide gamut). The difference to Adobe's screen colors is noticeable and I miss that when working in ACDSee. This is the subject of a whole separate discussion however and there are a hundred things that could account for it. I really admire Ultimate 10 - it is a terrific product. I'll continue to give the company feedback and hope to see these issues bridged by overcoming my ignorance or wizardry on the part of their engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Barrington View Post
                      Sorry for taking the thread off on a tangent, but could someone describe a situation where having a single layer rotated would be desirable? This is not something I ever thought about.
                      Either rotating or flipping a layer is not something I have ever done as a photographer. The Part 4 of Ultimate for beginners involved layer manipulation in an artsy-designer kind of way, and in the main example, Adam Price showed layer rotation, which can be accomplished without altering or distorting size with the Move Tool. I asked about flipping only because I was curious as to what extent destructive layer editing present in Photoshop could be repeated in Ultimate 10. But, aside from sheer curiosity, I can think of use in a graphic design sense (truly "Photoshopping" in popular parlance). Let's say you wanted to "create" a pond at the edge of a stand of trees in a landscape shot. There are a few good tutorials around on how to do that - a bunch of steps are involved to do it well and I've forgotten most of them - but one of the essentials would be creating a duplicate layer of the trees a water's edge and flipping to create a reflection. Can't really do that with rotation, but the more abstract the enterprise, the more useful it could be.

DJB

Comment

Working...
                      X