Layer manipulation in Edit Mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layer manipulation in Edit Mode

Can't find a clear answer in the user manual or a search of recent forum activity, so . . .

1 - In edit mode, I create a layer which is a paste of a copied selection from an existing layer.

2 - I want to flip the new layer (and just the new layer) vertically.

Is #2 possible? I know I can rotate the layer, but that's not what I'm looking for. The "flip" tool under the edit mode menu affects all layers simultaneously. Am I missing something or is this on the wish list for v. 11?

Thanks.

DJB

Not sure whether you can do it as you described, but would it be possible to paste your selection into a new temporary image, flip it, then copy it back to a new layer in your original image?

Comment

Thanks for responding. I did try as you suggested, and that works OK, but it's certainly less convenient than Photoshop, wherein I can just select the layer (or any portion of it) and Edit>Transform>Flip Vertical [or horizontal).

I suppose for this kind of compositing I can use PS as an external editor and just do any geometric layer manipulations there (I'd have to do that from Lightroom anyway) but I was hoping to avoid bouncing around.

Thanks again.

DJB

Comment

As a follow-up, the roundtrip to Photoshop CS6 (with the Camera Raw 9.1.1 extension, apparently the last supported by CS6 standalone), works OK for my Fuji X-T10 raw files, but not for the X-T2. Fortunately, CS6 handles common non-Raw file formats (TIF, DNG, JPG) so this is not fatal.

Note to ACDSee - I believe there's a real opportunity to beef up the edit mode to handle geometry changes on individual layers. I'm very fond of Ultimate but would like be Adobe-free at some point.

DJB

Comment

For what it is worth... ACDSee Pro/Ult is part of my Adobe-free process. For over 3+ years I used ACDSee + GIMP to replace CameraRaw/Lightroom/PS. With many friends neck deep in Adobe products, this was always a good challenge to compare /contrast workflows. Recently, I have changed to ACDseeUlt + Affinity Photo. Te combination of Ult10 and AP, means the only remaining advantage for Adobe is the user-base. There are just more Adobe users and related support. However, there are plenty of arguments to suggest Ult10+AP is a better tool combo than the Adobe suite.

(​Admittedly, it would be better if Ult10 did not require AP as a helper application.)

Comment

I also have AP, and am in "student mode" with that as well. Other than its glacial file-loading speed, I find it competent and so far a viable PS alternative. Haven't tried to flip a layer yet, but I suspect it can be done. I already use QImage as a replacement for Lightroom's print module (it does profile/paper presets, whereas Ultimate does not). But for its basic DAM and Raw conversion capability, Ultimate is at least 80% there for me.

Comment

I'm also finding AP very much fills in the Gaps in EDIT modes functionality

Comment

I attended the last workshop for beginners some days ago - Part 4.
                Here was shown how to flip a single layer.
                Unfortunately I can not remember how it was possible - real shame because I have the same problem as you.
                Unfortunately, the inclusion of this workshop is not yet posted on the website.
                I browsed the website and it seems the workshop will be on again March 21, 2017 10:00 AM (PDT)

Comment

Sorry for taking the thread off on a tangent, but could someone describe a situation where having a single layer rotated would be desirable? This is not something I ever thought about.

Comment

Working...
                  X