Batch View

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batch View

I have 2 tons of portrait images and 1/2 a ton of landscape images.
    Is there any way to Batch mark them so I can view one type or the other?
    I'm new to this and I don't have the time to mark over 2000 images.

In Manage Mode on the File List toolbar, there is an option to Sort. Image Orientation is not one of the default sort options, but it's easy to add.

Click Sort > More... You will find the option to sort by Orientation under Image Attributes. Click OK to add that sort criteria to your Sort menu. Once you can sort by orientation, you can choose any method you want to flag or tag your portrait vs. landscape images. Although, I'm not sure that will even be necessary once you can sort by image orientation any time you want.

Comment

You could also create a smart collection if the need is pretty frequent. By setting the search criteria to look for an orientation of "Upper right", I found all my portrait photos, and by setting the search criteria to "Lower Left", I found all the landscape photos. (I have no idea what all the other orientation options mean, they all seem to either return landscape, or portrait photos, or they find nothing at all). See screen dump link, below:

https://cnt-01.content-na.drive.amaz...ox=1919%2C1628

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-07_18-03-52.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	40788
      Last edited by Glen Barrington; 03-10-2017, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I swear the more I use this program, the less I know about it ... but I gain wisdom in discovering what I don't know.

I started this to ask Glen where "Upper Right" and "Lower Left" were but I found the choices buried deep while I was forming my question.
        So I'll change topic and re-phrase the question.

Glen:
        You seem to be one of the user authorities on ACDSee - at least I find more about the actual use of the program under your writings than anywhere else.
        Have you thought of producing a user's guidebook somewhat along the lines of what Thom Hogan has done for Nikon cameras?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveT View Post

Glen:
          You seem to be one of the user authorities on ACDSee - at least I find more about the actual use of the program under your writings than anywhere else.
          Have you thought of producing a user's guidebook somewhat along the lines of what Thom Hogan has done for Nikon cameras?
          Well thank you for the kind words! But please don't confuse being opinionated and having a willingness to answer questions with just the barest hint of competency, with actual knowledge! I have answered questions quite badly, and have embarrassed myself most thoroughly at times.

However, I don't think I'd produce a book, I've looked into it and it seems you'd always have to keep the thing current as the versions change, if you want to keep it marketable. That seems like I'd continually have to go over old ground to keep the thing current.

I much prefer learning and writing about new stuff, and frankly I don't want to just concentrate on one piece of software, either. I find myself interested in Affinity Photo, and Photomatix pro, and the Topaz plugin suite, too. And video is starting to interest me.

That being said, I have purchased the stuff I need to start producing Video Tutorials with some degree of adequate production value, and I'm about a third of the way to completion of the script for a tutorial on integrating the Histogram into your workflow. It's starting to get LONG, so I might need to break it up into smaller pieces or modify the premise a bit. I'm new at this, so give me some time to get it right. Also, I have discovered I have the perfect voice for a mime, not sure what I can do about that though.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Barrington View Post
            You could also create a smart collection if the need is pretty frequent. By setting the search criteria to look for an orientation of "Upper right", I found all my portrait photos, and by setting the search criteria to "Lower Left", I found all the landscape photos. (I have no idea what all the other orientation options mean, they all seem to either return landscape, or portrait photos, or they find nothing at all).
            Be care full with this one it gives strange results Here's a table with my databases:

Code:
            AC version           v8        v10
            Orientation       items      items
            -------------------------------------------------
            top left 1            0          0
            top left 2      129,134    128,443 Landscape
            top right 1      12,411     12,358 Portrait
            top right 2           0          0
            bottom left 1    70,497     70,272 Portrait
            bottom left 2         0          0
            bottom right 1        0          0
            bottom right 2        0          0
            -------------------------------------------------
            Sum             212,042    211,073
            image well      223,124    222,165
            missing          11,082     11,092
            The missing items include files AC does not support
            , items without dimensions, square photos, and on my systems also quite an amount of landscape photos. No idea why.
            Last edited by Emil; 03-12-2017, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Emil, that is interesting, the inability to find photos without dimensions indicates that Orientation is based on some algorithm that requires dimensions.

Photos missing that ACDSee doesn't support, indicates that it only searches the database for that information. Which makes sense to me, as does a square aspect ratio (if the orientation is based on an algorithm that looks at the differences between height and width.).

We need to find a way to identify square cropped photos though. I am a big fan of the square photo!

The thing that worries me though is the fact that we have two parameters that return different values for portrait. Is the count in "top Right 1" included in the count found in "bottom left 1" or are they separate entities. (and if they are separate, why? What makes them different enough to have separate search criteria?)

Can someone from ACDSee be of any help?

EDIT: I did a more careful test of this search feature, and I note the following things:
              1. the only search argument is the "Is any of", which means you can add values to the list and get a combined count of the parms in the list. But you can't do Is not, or greater than type searches.
              2. You can't get a count of square photos. I have yet to figure out how to search for photos with a square aspect ratio. Although RAW photos cropped square in the non destructive development tab (but not cropped via the Edit tab) will show up in the counts of whatever parm they were originally placed.
              3. Being Exif data, I suspect there is no way to alter this field without using a third party Exif editing tool. Though I could see that photographers (especially commercial photographers might want to do this.)
              I have a database with 12,513 photos

Left Lower: 1112 portrait (seems to include 1:1 cropped photos but still carrying this parm)
              Left Upper: 0
              Lower Left: 0
              Lower Right: 11 Landscape (all taken with Samsung S5, significant? Don't know)
              Right Lower: 0
              Right Upper: 31 Portrait (seems to include 1:1 cropped photos but still carrying this parm)
              Upper Left: 9762 landscape (seems to include 1:1 cropped photos but still carrying this parm)
              Upper Right 0
              -------------------------------------------

Total found: 10,916 photos
              ================
              Missing photos: 1597 photos

The problem is, I can't figure out a way to identify the square photos for an accurate count, but my best guess is that I have roughly 1600 square photos. So that WOULD account for the discrepancy. I'm thinking if you need to ID square cropped photos, you should create a keyword for "square" and tag the photos as they are created.

But What I don't understand what the difference is between, say, "Left Lower", and "Lower Left" is! That is a REALLY confusing nomenclature.

I bet this code was set up years ago, and doesn't get looked at much, we really need someone to look at the code and tell us what is going on.

Right now, I would Create "Landscape", "Portrait", and "Square" keywords, and use this search utility to identify portrait and landscape photos, then use the batch tool to tag the appropriate keyword for the photos in question. You could tag several thousand photos in 5 -10 minutes that way.

And it would then be easy to use search later on to identify those photos with an Exif orientation that is different from their keyword orientation record. Ongoing maintenance wouldn't be too difficult, I shouldn't think.

Last edited by Glen Barrington; 03-12-2017, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Barrington View Post
                Photos missing that ACDSee doesn't support, indicates that it only searches the database for that information.
                Of course, that's what the db is made for, AC does of course not scan all catalogued items to find the search result :-) When cataloguing files AC will copy EXIF, IPTC, XMP and some other types of data to the db. It also keeps a short list of proprietary AC meta data. This allows it to catalogue not only photos and videos but simply any type of file.

The thing that worries me though is the fact that we have two parameters that return different values for portrait.
                I'd say that the tag orientation simply isn't made to differentiate landscape/portrait or square photos. There just seams to be some kind of coincidence with these attributes.

To get a clou out of the "missing" items, I suggest to first display "image well" and tag (mark) all items. Then search for all eight attributes of the tag "orientation" and unmark the found items. In the end displaying all tagged (marked) items (can be found in special objects section of the catalogue tab) will show all items that do not match any of the eight attributes. Browsing these items might give us an idea of what this tag is made for.

BTW. This is a not go for me. I simply can't display >100,000 items in manage mode and press CTRL-A. AC would stall for many hours.
                I've also got a vague remembrance that this already has been discussed in one of the blown up forums several years ago.

Last edited by Emil; 03-13-2017, 03:15 AM.

Comment

"Image Well" is a not well known Macintosh photo management product. I've searched the ACDSee help file and find no reference to it within ACDSee, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. Although you can do something similar by doing a search that one sets up with no search criteria other than search the entire database. I suspect orientation is really just a way for the software to know how to display an image.

You are correct though, that this is a most imperfect solution. I think if orientation is an important attribute to get absolutely correct, then creating keywords and using the tools at hand to discover the orientation of photos and then doing a batch update of the keywords is a more desirable method.

Comment

My wording often is a back translation from German to English, sorry!

"Image Well" just is a "Special Item" in the catalogue pane of the manage mode within AC. It displays all catalogued items:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ac1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	40903

Back to topic: I think the best option is already given by LV_Bill. The attribute "image orientation" only is available in the sort options and as column in manage mode (F8). It is not available in the search function or in the collections pane. I wonder why.

Comment

It looks to me like the Exif Image Orientation parameter is extremely unreliable.

I have some recent images taken with my Panasonic TZ100 where I shot RAW+JPEG. For the RAW images the orientation parameter is Upper Left for landscape and Left Lower for portrait. For the associated JPEG images orientation is Upper Left for both landscape and portrait. This makes it impossible to sort by Orientation as suggested by LV_Bill, and may explain some of the anomalies in numbers seen by Glen.

I did auto-rotate the images when I imported them - not sure whether this is what has caused the problem. The Rotation parameter in the Panasonic Maker Notes is still correct (Horizontal (normal) for landscape or Rotate 270 CW for portrait), but it's not possible to sort by that.

I tried to set up a Smart Collection to check for "Pixel X Dimension > Pixel Y Dimension" but it's not possible to use a second parameter in the comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Hall View Post
                        It looks to me like the Exif Image Orientation parameter is extremely unreliable.
                        It seems things get mixed up now :-) LV_Bill was pointing to "Image Attributes -> Image Orientation", not to the tag "Exif -> Image -> Orientation".

Btw. In very old versions of AC the Exif tag is listed under "Exif -> camera -> Orientation". I still have no idea what can be used for.

Comment

Working...
                        X