New Computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer?

Hi, I am thinking about upgrading my computer system and would welcome any advice regarding its configuration.

What technologies should I be looking at to make the best use of ACDSee Ultimate 10? e.g. Does ACDSEE make use of the CUDA technology available in NVIDIA GPUs? Does it/can it use multiple CPU cores? Is there a significant difference when it runs on SSD rather than HDD? etc. etc.

Thanks for your help

I have data database on a ssd and it improved the performance a Lot in navigation and losing times I haven't tested performance of have photos on an ssd yet.What I want to know is there away to setup acdsee so when you develop a image it can load on to the ssd while you work then save it back to had.
    The question is what else are you going to use it for just acdsee?

Comment

Originally posted by philipW99 View Post
      Does ACDSEE make use of the CUDA technology available in NVIDIA GPUs?
      Yes it does. E.g. Image export is significantly faster. However the GPU currently is not used throughout the whole app. E.g. AC not only keeps a master thumbnail in the db, but also sets of reduced thumbnails in the size you set up in manage mode and additional thumbnails for photos mode.

Does it/can it use multiple CPU cores? .
      According to the performance monitor it does.

Is there a significant difference when it runs on SSD rather than HDD?
      AC does a lot reading and writing to the db all the time. Imho AC should be installed on the SSD and the db should be there too. The images/videos may be stored anywhere. HDD/SDD, external storage or network resource are fine. However all these storages should best be on line at any time AC is up and running although AC was made to catalogue CD/DVDs too. E.g. if I start AC and connect to my NAS afterwards AC will not find any items on the network. It seems AC tries to check all resources at start up and it does not check them again later. Pressing F5 will not help.

Originally posted by Nxdibbles View Post
      What I want to know is there away to setup acdsee so when you develop a image it can load on to the ssd while you work then save it back to had.
      If your Windows is installed on the SSD, your profile including the temp folder should be located there too. Imho copying the file from HDD to SSD, and return it from SSD back to HDD after editing the image would slow down the process because AC will work on a copy of the file in the temp folder anyway. Don't try to be wiser than the program, you would mess things up; especially the db.
      Last edited by Emil; 03-13-2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation eml

Comment

So, in case this helps anyone else, I bought the new computer. Its a Dell XPS8920 with Intel core i7, 8 processors at 4.2GHz. 16Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD and 2Tb HDD. Its got Windows 10 professional installed and I've added a couple of, low capacity, HDDs. The graphics card is a NVidia GeForce GTX 1080. My image collection (approx 90,000) is held on a NAS attached via powerline LAN. (Its rated at 1Gbps but actually runs about 600Mbps). On my old machine I rebuilt my ACDSee DB from the NAS and, from memory, it took about 12 hours.

With the new machine I initially had the ACDSee DB on the HDD as it made backup easier but, following Emil's advice above, I re-built the DB on the SSD. In this case it took about 2 hours to re-build. So, I think the new machine has made quite a difference.

One other test/observation is in respect of the grpahics card. Please see my other post here: http://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-c...ics-card-bring

Comment

Working...
          X