ACDSee jumps backto view mode after edit in develop mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDSee jumps backto view mode after edit in develop mode

A couple of questions regarding operation of ACDsee for a trial version user. I am editing wedding pics. I culled my photos and rated them. Pulled up the ratings I wanted. I select develop mode and start editing. As I do, after I select done, the program jumps back to view mode.

Also, If I want to revisit a picture marked DONE it converts it to a JPEG on the Done cycle. I am used to Lightroom and being able to go back to that photo and make additional adjustments before saving. Not so in ACDSEE?

Originally posted by Peggy View Post
    A couple of questions regarding operation of ACDsee for a trial version user. I am editing wedding pics. I culled my photos and rated them. Pulled up the ratings I wanted. I select develop mode and start editing. As I do, after I select done, the program jumps back to view mode.
    Make sure you have the filmstrip displayed in both the Develop Tab and in the Edit Tab. Also, make sure you have the "Autosave all develop mode adjustments" selected.

Also, If I want to revisit a picture marked DONE it converts it to a JPEG on the Done cycle. I am used to Lightroom and being able to go back to that photo and make additional adjustments before saving. Not so in ACDSEE?
    Are you saying ACDSee does that or Lightroom? I've never had ACDSee perform perform a conversion without my telling it to, and even then it is a new photo and does not replace the original source photo. If you are trying to MAKE ACDSee do that, you can't. What I do is when I am done with my raw changes, I go back into the Manage tab, select the photos I want to convert and then do a batch conversion.
    Last edited by Glen Barrington; 03-17-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

​I think this operation is as designed. When you press done. The sidecar XML file and/or database is updated with your settings for use next time ACDSee opens the file.

The "autosave" function referenced by Glen's good advice makes sure the adjustments are capture.
      To get you to the develop mode options referenced by Glen: Tools > Options > Develop Mode

It is important to know this is NON-destructive. Thus, the changes in this mode are specific to ACDSee Database/XML side car. Another good hint can be seen here "http://www.acdsystems.com/en/community/post/embed-acdsee-metadata" . In case you are wondering, these "Develop mode" changes will not be seen by other editing tools.

​Is this about "Develop Mode" or "Edit Mode" ?

In Develop Mode there is a Save button that offers "Save As; Save a copy; Export. None of these overwrite the original file. This is the power of non-destructive workflows.

​The Done feature in Develop Mode writes the sidecar/database entry for use by ACDSee the next time the phot is opened (Only ACDSee will see these edits)

​In Edit Mode...
      Everything works the same way... EXCEPT.... the Done feature...
      ​The Done feature in Edit Mode offers: Save As; Discard; Cancel
      ​If Save As is selected.... you can choose to overwrite the original file... Or choose a different file name.

Comment

Are you starting from a jpg or a raw image? if the former, then done can do what you say. However, the original jpg is still saved in a hidden folder and if you hit develop mode again, you will start from that saved original using the settings that were saved in a sidecar file. If you then want to change those settings, go ahead. With a new "done", a new jpg will be generated based on those new settings and the original file.

Regarding where you return after finishing develop: you return to where you started from. If you hit develop while looking at an image in manage you should return there, but if you hit develop while looking at the image in view, then you should return there. If you see something different, then I do not know why.

Niels

Comment

Hi everyone. Thanks for the responses. Sorry I was offline for a bit - I received my new laptop so I have been downloading etc. Let me clarify - it could simply be I am not processing how ACDSEE works just yet. I am using Ultimate trial version. When I am working my LR workflow has been to make adjustments to Camera Lens (chromatic arrb.) White balance (for images in same area) and color correction to an image and then sync all or apply a preset if I have one set. After I apply that to all images, I then go in and do detail adjustments in smaller groups or image by image. I am not required to save as a Tiff or JPG until I am done with all images and I export. With Ultimate, while in Develop mode, I make changes to the image in the Tune tab. I selected ALL images to apply lens correction. then, when I tried to select a smaller group of photos to adjust white balance, it asks me to save changes. (I just selected auto save as recommended). I was thinking that required a JPG - but I think I see what you are saying - that is saving the changes. But that save still keeps the image in raw? Sorry - just new to this - but really want to get used to it because I like the way my images import more so than in LR. Getting excited...................Oh, and after I installed on new laptop it no longer jumps back to view mode. May be the filmstrip issue mentioned above.
          Last edited by Peggy; 03-22-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

First, I need to thank-you for introducing a new workflow into my process. BEFORE... I was very linear. Develop Mode. Edit image. Press done. Go on to next image... possible use the "Gear" to apply the last settings to the new image.

​Up until I read your post, I never though of turning on the "filmstrip" when in develop mode... selecting multiple images in the filmstrip... then Rt. click ... Apply last setting. It just never occurred to me as an option (3+ years using the tool).

​SO now that I learned something new... I though I could help... so I played with RAW files... the played with JPG files... trying to carefully follow your directions. Unfortunately, I was not ever able to get the "save changes" option.

​For JPG: I only see the updates happen to the files... and the XMP sidecar files update in the hidden [Originals] sub-directory right next to the original image.
            ​For RAW: : I only see the updates happen to the files... and the XMP sidecar files updated in the same directory as the RAW file

​This means I am not much help to you... but you helped me greatly. Thanks... I wish I could return the favor.

Comment

Gus well that just rocks! I am so happy for that! I have a full time JOB and am building my little photography business on the side.....so I HAVE to have efficiency. I appreciate your efforts immensely. An active forum is a useful tool. With that said............I figured out the press done and save (or select auto save which I did) is for the settings. DOH! Felt like Homer! LOL.

​What I can't figure out and my steps- I must have a setting wrong: Tag photos I want to edit in Manage Mode. Sort the tagged photos only. Open Develop mode. Filmstrip displayed. Select a photo from film strip, make changes, select done (so it saves changes) then it bounces back to manage mode. GRRRRRRR. HELP?
              Last edited by Peggy; 03-22-2017, 04:11 PM. Reason: and I figured it out!!!! I don't select done, I hit the next arrow. Once again feeling like HOMER but happy happy.

Comment

I was able to figure out how to create the "save as"....
                ​See attached pics for some clues....

​I opened a file in "Edit Mode"... did a couple tweaks... saved it. That image then has the pencil icon that in general means the image has been edited... but the edits have not been committed. s long as that pencil is there, you can Rt.Click > Process > Restore original. If that pencil is not there... ten that image is the original.

Next, I meandered back to the film strip in develop mode.... then start mouse-ing between images in the filmstrip. When I tap the image tagged with the pencil... There is that "save as" message you saw. Shazam.

​Similarly, you get that same "save as" message if you try to open the pencil tagged file from the "Manage Mode"

​Taking this a step further... this operation does make sense as you never want software to overwrite your images unless you specifically tell it to do so. This step helps enforce that rule.

​(Side note:Once you are sure you like the new edits... to commit changes and remove the pencil flag... Tools>Process> Commit Changes... This will over-write the original file with the changes.)

Comment

​What I can't figure out and my steps- I must have a setting wrong: Tag photos I want to edit in Manage Mode. Sort the tagged photos only. Open Develop mode. Filmstrip displayed. Select a photo from film strip, make changes, select done (so it saves changes) then it bounces back to manage mode. GRRRRRRR. HELP?
                  ​As a further experiment... Manage Mode... I tagged 3 files... filtered to tagged files... Opened one of those files in Develop mode. Sure enough, the other two files were in the filmstrip. I then moved back and forth between the filmstrip files... using the Develop Mode tweaks at will. When I got bored... I then hit the "Done" butto. (As in... "I am done using develop mode")

Thus... ​I think that I have re-invented my mental model of what "Done" means in ACDSee... Now... "Done" means I am done with "Develop Mode" (which is more than being done with just the edits to a single image). Now, as an example, staying in Develop mode... then mousing between images in the filmstrip ... editing as I go.... then... when I am finally done with Develop Mode... I can then hit the Done button... and get back into managing the images.

​Nice and quick.

Comment

Agreed! I am still playing with this batch of wedding shots. When done, I may post what my workflow is under another thread and see how many others chime in. Maybe we can learn more.

Comment

Working...
                    X