Database management tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database management tips

Hi y'all. You have seen me posting as a new user. I have decided to purchase an commit real effort to ACDSEE ultimate. With that in mind, talk to me about database management. One of the reasons I was drawn to ACDSEE is that I wouldn't have catalogs etc. that LR has. Yes there are workarounds, but I prefer to use thumb drives/ssd external storage for my photos. This allows me to operate between computers. I was having issues with sluggish behavior, so I was told have a clean database. I thought that if I worked on files in Ultimate 10, saved them to my thumb drive if I open them on another computer or plug it into a different port at a later date on my same computer - it would find/recognize and not have lost files. So what is your workflow for maintaining a clean database if you work between computers? I have watched the videos, and while helpful - they are very piecemeal.

I do not have any experience with USB keys.
    ​But I do keep all my images on a network drive which does work well with ACDSee.
    ​I have though about trying to use the onedrive integration, but have not had the opportunity to experiment with that option yet.

Comment

I usually only work with pictures on one PC, so don\t know the best way to do what you want. My photos usually reside on an external HD, and the only thing to think of for me is to plug it in before starting the program. And as you heard before, deletion, move, etc should be performed inside ACDSee for best results.

Comment

Peggy, I use the FILE/SYNC feature all the time. My work flow is different than yours, so this may not apply. I have my main DB (106 gb) on an internal hard drive on my PC, (with OS on other int hard drive) and each day I sync that DB from my PC hard drive to a PASSPORT USB drive for safety. And, I TOOLS/Database/Backup at the same time to that USB drive, to my PC hard drive, and to Drop Box. Then when I want to work on my laptop instead of my PC, I sync from the USB drive to the PC, and "back up" to the laptop so that all my categories, keywords, ipct, etc work. Yes it's a round about way, but works for me, because of the safety, after once losing the structure of the mass of photos and having to enter attributes all over again. When I have occasionally worked from the PASSPORT 1T drive, it is definitely slower than working from my internal PC hard drive.

I try to make changes to the DB on the PC only, and then for the laptop I use it just to sort, look around, etc.

Comment

I was cleaning a bookcase shelf I had used for miscellaneous storage just yesterday and found a thumb drive that had been missing for at least a year. If you can figure out a way to keep all that tiny hardware organized and available to you, more power to you!

I have a Desktop computer that is my main 'digital darkroom' device. Easily, 95% of my post processing work is done on that machine, so that is where I keep my ACDSee main photo storage. I do travel some, particularly to Austin Texas several times a year. I take a laptop with me, I don't usually need to access the main photos on my 'darkroom' PCs very much from my laptop so much as I need to do something with photos I take when I travel.

I've been experimenting with ACDSee's 'root level' support of Microsoft OneDrive. (though it isn't entirely clear what that actually means from a technology POV) But with it and an ACDSee equipped laptop, I can intake a day's shoot into the laptop, saving them to OneDrive immediately and have them instantly available to the laptop for any immediate processing/sharing/publishing needs.

When I get home, I can opt to just access them on OneDrive for processing on my "Darkroom' PC, or I can move them to an appropriate folder on my traditional hard drive storage location. I've been thinking of moving my "done" photos to either OneDrive or to Amazon Prime Photos. I'd love to see more support for Amazon and Google storage. The two grand-daddies of online storage of Box and DropBox would be nice as well, but I could live without them.

Overall, it works pretty well, and I'll probably 'officially' adopt this as part of my workflow. It is an ACDSee feature that is under appreciated by the public,I think. What ACDSee needs to promote this feature, is an Android and/or Chrome app. This laptop of mine is nearing the end of its useful economic life, and I'd like to have a cheaper and LIGHTER travelling option. I don't know that I really need ALL of ACDSee's current photo management features when I travel but I need basic (Raw aware) intake, culling, and upload functionality. Bit mapped Editing is nice to have, but not essential to me at least.

The way I look at it, this is where the photo software industry is headed anyway. ACDSee might as well get on board that train first, and help guide that train to the desired destination in terms favorable to It!

Comment

Glen it sounds to me like you need the pro version on your laptop and the ultimate version on your home PC.

ACDSee has a current app for iphone, but given that i rarely use the phone for photos, I know very little about that product.

Niels

Comment

great feedback. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by njlarsen View Post
                Glen it sounds to me like you need the pro version on your laptop and the ultimate version on your home PC.

ACDSee has a current app for iphone, but given that i rarely use the phone for photos, I know very little about that product.

Niels

Actually, that is how I'm set up though I use Ultimate on both machines. But my goal is to get rid of the laptop eventually. I want lighter, smaller, and cheaper hardware. I personally believe that is the future of travel computing.

Comment

Would love to be able to run ACDSee on a tablet fully functional! What a dream

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Barrington View Post

Actually, that is how I'm set up though I use Ultimate on both machines. But my goal is to get rid of the laptop eventually. I want lighter, smaller, and cheaper hardware. I personally believe that is the future of travel computing.
                    If you have an old fashioned regular ipad with a bluetooth keyboard, that weighs the same as my 14 " windows laptop, which I believe works better for just about anything except (some) games.

Niels

Comment

Originally posted by njlarsen View Post

If you have an old fashioned regular ipad with a bluetooth keyboard, that weighs the same as my 14 " windows laptop, which I believe works better for just about anything except (some) games.

Niels

My generic Lenovo android tablet doesn't weigh anywhere close to my 14" laptop, even with the matching keyboard. And when you consider the difference in weight between the power brick for the laptop, which is essential, and the tiny lightweight charger for the tablet and keyboard, (and which also can power my smartphone, AND bluetooth headphone, and a smart watch), there is no contest.
                      Last edited by Glen Barrington; 04-03-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Glen, ACDsee works on your android tablet ok?

Comment

ACDSee on a tablet may make sense with a top of the line Microsoft Surface. It has the hardware to do the trick... It is just darn expensive!!

Comment

Working...
                          X