Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batch Metadata cut'n paste ?

Hi everybody

I am not shure this thread's subject is sufficiently clear...
    Here's my concern : I am clogged by an annoying backlog as to my cataloging... I have dozens of non-cataloged RAW files, which I have already developped and edited, and now I have to update metadata
    A good deal of work comes down to me, I know, but I am trying to ease the process...
    I know I can catalogue only RAW files, then cut'n paste metadata to JPG, and if necessary TIFF or ACDC files. It's a little quicker, and noticeably safer. However, it's still pretty long. How could I kind of batch such a task ?
    I have thought of one work around, and I have tried it : first ensure I have metadata for RAW files stored in their sidecar .XMP file, then catalog current directory. Thus, I would expect metadata to be written back in JPG files, and cut required time in approximately two. The thing is, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...
    Any ideas ?
    Thank you in advance

Could you re-import the jpg photos and use the metadata import fields to batch load them?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Barrington View Post
      Could you re-import the jpg photos and use the metadata import fields to batch load them?
      Hi Glen

Thank you a lot for reading and answering

I've just performed a quick re-import of a few JPGs (after having copied them out, then deleted). Yours is a good idea if you can batch files with a common set of metadata (say, a bunch of lanscapes with a river in the background). This is a real improvement.
      However, it misses my need : you specify those metadata values in the dialog box, you don't fetch them in existing files in the target directory (which was my intitial aim).

I'm going to try again w/ my work around, and try to use yours when possible. And if none works, feed metadata manually...

Thank you again

Comment

I am not sure what you are really saying. If many files need a given entry in metadata, why not just select all of them before applying that fix?

Niels

Comment

Originally posted by njlarsen View Post
          I am not sure what you are really saying. If many files need a given entry in metadata, why not just select all of them before applying that fix?

Niels
          I may not make myself clear, for sure, English is not my mother language...

Of course, if the point was just selecting a given set of files, and enter the same data for all of them, there would be no problem.

So, here's my story again :

Let's suppose I have n raw files : file1.cr2, file2.cr2, ..., filen.cr2 (how did you guess I have a Canon camera ? )
          Those files should have different metadata : file1 is a landscape in Brittany with seagulls in the background, file2 is a streetscape in Paris with a child playing,... filen is a proxy of a bunch of flowers.
          Alas, I was lazy enough not to enter those data from the beginning.

Meanwhile, I developped and edited the raw files, and generated as many JPEG or TIFF files : file1.jpg, file2.jpg, file2.tif, ... filen.jpg

Now, I would like to :
          1 - enter metadata in raw files only (clearly I can't escape that step ).
          2 - "paste", or, say, "transfer" metadata to corresponding JPEG and TIFF in one move

Comment

Goto "Tools - Meta Data - Copy/Insert" in the menu. This offers a pretty basic tool to cut 'n paste meta data.

Comment

ACDSee doesn't track the jpgs as versions of the RAW so it doesn't know which jpg corresponds to which RAW. You can't do this in one step as you are asking for the multiple RAW files.

Comment

You may be able to copy the metadata using ExifTool. It's a very powerful utility for reading and manipulating metadata available free at http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

It runs from the Windows command line (or command prompt window), and its many functions are controlled using command extensions. Unfortunately these are difficult to understand at first.

There is also a user interface for it which makes many of the basic functions easier to use - ExifToolGUI available at http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/f...p?topic=2750.0 This works for Windows 7, but hasn't been developed for a few years and may not work for Windows 10.

I would recommend copying a few of your files to a separate folder first to allow you to experiment safely, but the procedure should be something a bit like this:

Firstly you need to make sure the metadata you have entered for your raw files is actually stored in the files. When you add metadata using ACDSee it is initially stored only in the ACDSee database, and there will be an 'Embed Pending' icon under each thumbnail Click image for larger version

Name:	Embed Pending.png
Views:	1
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	41489

Select all of the files then right click and select Metadata|Embed ACDSee Metadata Click image for larger version

Name:	Embed Metadata.png
Views:	1
Size:	607.0 KB
ID:	41490

This will add all of the metadata to the .XMP sidecar file associated with each .CR2 raw file. You can check this by looking at the dates using Windows Explorer.

Now you use ExifTool to copy the metadata. In a command prompt window type
                exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.XMP -r -ext JPG "c:\My Photo folder"
                This should rewrite the metadata in all JPG images in "My Photo folder" with information copied from the corresponding XMP sidecar files in the same folder.

As I said, I would recommend testing this on copies of a few files in a test folder first!

The command above will copy all metadata tags from the XMP file. It's possible to copy only selected tags by listing them in the command. eg
                exiftool -tagsfromfile %d%f.XMP -XMP:Rating -XMP:Label -r -ext JPG "c:\My Photo folder"
                would copy only the rating and label tags.

If your raw and jpeg files are in different folders then there are ways of dealing with this in the exiftool command, but it adds even more complexity.

Best of luck!
                Dave
                Last edited by Dave Hall; 04-14-2017, 09:29 AM.

Comment

The method Dave Hall proposed is the way I would do it too.

Here's another example of how this tool can be used to copy metadata; it might be of interest to others:

I use exiftool to transfer the metadata from my developed jpg photos to the original jpg photos stored in the hidden [Originals] folders. The command has to be pasted into a Windows 7 Command Prompt box:

C:\Programs\ExifTool\exiftool -a -tagsfromfile D:\Images\%f.jpg -all:all -ext jpg D:\Images\[Originals] -overwrite_original -m -r -K

Note: For the above command to work, exiftool.exe has to be in a folder structure of C\Programs\ExifTool\ and the photos (and the [Originals] folder) must be in a folder on drive "D" called "Images".
                  Last edited by Robert Linsdell; 04-15-2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

The downside of external routines is, that you not only need to embed proprietary ac meta data first, but also must catalogue the files after the usage of external routines. The embedding is done with ease: Ac 'knows' what files need embedding. But cataloguing is hard. There's now list of files with freshly embedded meta data and so you end up with cataloguing all files.

However, exiftool is the way to go for iptc meta data, that is 'embedded' on the fly after you have edited it.

Comment

Hello Gentlemen

Thank you a lot for your reading, and for your kind and truly helpful answers. I am going to try exiftool very soon.

Dave, on the page you indicatd for a GUI for exiftool, the guy there seems to have maintained his utility until at least April 5,2015. Since W10 was officially issued in July 2015, maybe it's worth giving a try

Emil, I get your point, cataloging will become heavier as database grows. However, there was a point in my first post (which was not clear enough, I guess) : sometimes, just cataloging the directory where RAW files had been edited and fed w/ metadata would succeed in tranferring the data to corresponding JPG files ! "Corresponding", here, meaning "with the same name", that is, a I explained above : filex.cr2 <-> filex.jpg. My concern was (and still is...), some other times, it did not succeed...

I am going to go w/ exiftool anyway, and keep you informed.

Comment

Originally posted by jpu018 View Post
                        Dave, on the page you indicatd for a GUI for exiftool, the guy there seems to have maintained his utility until at least April 5,2015. Since W10 was officially issued in July 2015, maybe it's worth giving a try
                        It's free so you've got nothing to lose!

I don't know much about Win10 - is there still a 'compatibility mode'?

Comment

Originally posted by jpu018 View Post
                          My concern was (and still is...), some other times, it did not succeed...
                          Select one of the files that doesn't, but should, contain the metadata, and then run the following command from the top menu:

Tools \ Metadata \ Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata

Did the data appear? Try it on a few of the "problem" images.

FYI: ExifToolGUI runs fine on my Windows 10 laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linsdell View Post
                            Select one of the files that doesn't, but should, contain the metadata, and then run the following command from the top menu:

Tools \ Metadata \ Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata

Did the data appear? Try it on a few of the "problem" images.

FYI: ExifToolGUI runs fine on my Windows 10 laptop.
                            Hi Robert
                            ‚ÄčI tried on a few images, but still no metadata :-(
                            I am going to try w/ ExifTool anyway : thank you a lot for information about W10.

Comment

Hello everybody

I tried ExifTool, and it does work !

So far, I've just cut'n pasted my current directory to the command line Robert provided. I'll get to GUI later.
                              As emil pointed out, workflow becomes a little complicated (develop raw -> generate .jpg -> ensure metadata is embedded in raw -> exiftool > catalog directory -> done !), but it works. The difference w/ just cataloging after embedding is, no .jpg is left untagged.

Anyway, the easiest way clearly remains cataloging on the fly, but it's good to know there's a way to cut backlog in two.

Comment

Working...
                              X