categories vs keywords

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• categories vs keywords

you can search using categories or keywords.
    what is the difference?
    what items do you put under categories and what under keywords

There's no 'versus' It should say ac-categories and ac-keywords and iptc-keywords and last, not least ac-collections.

It all depends on your needs and liking. AC-categories, ac-keywords and ac-collections are proprietary in ac, but are hierarchically; iptc keywords are compatible with other software. For all these tags ac offers different dialogues und functionality. As a rule of thumbs I'd say (with the exception of ac-collections) the functionally of ac's proprietary tags is better the for iptc tags. E.g. Ac-keywords can be grouped.

We use iptc-keywords to describes what can be seen on the image and ac-categories to track what's been done with the image (offered, sold, printed, published ...).

Oops, almost forgot: There also exists an iptc-supplemental-category tag that allows free text.

Here's a link to another thread on this question.

Comment

Emil's advice is good. However I would like to give an example of how I use Categories and keywords.

I use categories for more long term, less volatile, broader classifications, I categorize my photos and other digital assets in terms of people, places, travel, landscapes. (See attachment) I have recently also started moving into video projects and have placed my projects as categories in the ACDSee database, that way, as I decide to add a photo or other digital asset to a video project, I can search on that project category to find all the digital assets in that project. Useful for back ups and for re using assets in future projects.

I tend to use keywords for more 'granular' and detailed descriptions of a photo or other asset. I put things like if the subjects are male or female, adult or children, if the place is a famous park, flowers, or even type of flower if that is important. (See attachment)

By rigorously maintaining a logical difference between the broader descriptive terms, and the more detailed descriptive terms, complex searches become much easier. For instance if I am looking for flower photos that are somehow related to travel, I can look for travel related photos, that have a keyword of 'flower'. In other words, it allows you to search hierarchically from a broad categorization down to a narrower set of descriptors.

Comment

My keywords are created automatically when iptc information is filed city, location, description is what's in the picture or what's it about then use preset that takes that information and enters it into keywords

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
          There's no 'versus' It should say ac-categories and ac-keywords and iptc-keywords and last, not least ac-collections.

It all depends on your needs and liking. AC-categories, ac-keywords and ac-collections are proprietary in ac, but are hierarchically; iptc keywords are compatible with other software. For all these tags ac offers different dialogues und functionality. As a rule of thumbs I'd say (with the exception of ac-collections) the functionally of ac's proprietary tags is better the for iptc tags. E.g. Ac-keywords can be grouped.

We use iptc-keywords to describes what can be seen on the image and ac-categories to track what's been done with the image (offered, sold, printed, published ...).

Oops, almost forgot: There also exists an iptc-supplemental-category tag that allows free text.

Here's a link to another thread on this question.

I am finding categories are not hierarchical when doing searches. For instance, I have a category of People. Within it a sub-category of Family. If I check Family for a picture, do a search on People, the Family is not picked up in the search. People is only found on the search when I check People and AND check Family. Makes no sense to have to check both if categories are hierarchical. To me it appears categories are more a visual organizational tool.

Comment

A hierarchical database is hierarchical any time you have a child record hanging off of a parent record. That makes Categories hierarchical, How ACDSee implements their search algorithms isn't really an 'attribute' of its "hierarchical-ness". Though it would be foolish to implement searches that ignore how hierarchical records are physically stored.

I suspect though that you have neglected to select the "include sub-categories" tick box in the search criteria. See the attached video that illustrates what I think you are referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by Nxdibbles View Post
              My keywords are created automatically when iptc information is filed city, location, description is what's in the picture or what's it about then use preset that takes that information and enters it into keywords
              I suggest to always find an appropriate iptc tag for all info. E.g. The name of the location the image is taken at always only goes into the iptc tag location, not anywhere else. If we need the info in a different tag (Eg. iptc keywords) later, this is done after the export with exiftool.

If you type all kind of info in the keywords it is very hard to get rid of the info later. If you need any info in another tag (E.g. iptc keywords) later, this can easily be de done after the export with exiftool.

We have customers that must not be given any location names and we also have customers who need descriptive file names. For these wise guys we use a few simple scripts to map the tags in to the tags as needed.

Hope you catch the idea:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Barrington View Post
                A hierarchical database is hierarchical any time you have a child record hanging off of a parent record. That makes Categories hierarchical, How ACDSee implements their search algorithms isn't really an 'attribute' of its "hierarchical-ness". Though it would be foolish to implement searches that ignore how hierarchical records are physically stored.

I suspect though that you have neglected to select the "include sub-categories" tick box in the search criteria. See the attached video that illustrates what I think you are referring to.

Yes, that did the trick. Was hoping I was missing something. It is amazing how powerful the software is. Thanks Glen!

Comment

Hi all

Coming back to our understanding of categories vs. keywords, just to tell how I'm trying to put things :

- Categories, in my view, are more or less equivalent to "types", e.g. landscapes vs. portraits vs. scenes, etc...They are related to "scene modes" available on cameras, and/or to how photos are classified on forums. This categorizes the "container"

- Keywords are more descriptive of photographs in details, and there I join w/ Glen's approach. This categorizes the "content".

- I would add a third way of "categorizing" photographs w/ ACDSee : collections. In my view, collections are categorizing a "context", that is "why" the photograph was shot : e.g. holidays, family events... That could be achieved w/ OS directories. In a sense, it is a way of building a parallel hierarchy, whereas directories (mine, at least) are named by default, after dates of shooting.

Of course, this is just my way of thinking.
                  Last edited by jpu018; 04-29-2017, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpu018 View Post
                    Hi all

Coming back to our understanding of categories vs. keywords, just to tell how I'm trying to put things . . . Of course, this is just my way of thinking.

That's the beauty of having a database system that is both flexible and powerful. There are many 'correct' ways of doing things. If things are working for you the way you want, then you have found the correct way to organize your stuff!

Comment

,,, That's what I use for keywords then if something changes it updates

Comment

,,, That's what I use to automate keywords and changes all the time depending on what I want

Comment

There's another aspect to the discussion of ACDSee Categories compared to the IPTC keywords. IPTC keywords are public, meaning anyone who has access to the file can easily view the keywords and any other IPTC meta-data, with just about any viewer (I'm referring specifically to jpegs). The ACDSee categories are private as long as they only reside in the ACDSee database. This is a distinction that Peter Krogh points out in his excellent book "The DAM Book" which is a good read for those interested in such subjects. (DAM referring to Digital Asset Management).

Comment

Working...
                          X